How to combat being tired all the time?

Options
I've recently started a calorie restricted diet combined with exercise and am finding that I am sooo tired all the time, like ready for a nap by noon and wanting to be in bed by 7pm - before this I would be up till midnight easily and later. Of course I understand that eating less = less energy going into my body... but is this normal? I was anorexic before and don't remember being tired like this ever despite having a much lower caloric intake.

My caloric intake is averaging around 1500 calories, and my exercise at the moment consists of a 1 hour brisk walk or a fitness yoga video. I've been doing this for just over 2 weeks. I am eating and always have eaten whole healthy foods, vegetables, fruits, chicken, fish, turkey, nuts, occasional rice/potato. I have a gluten and dairy sensitivity so a lot of those cheap white carbs aren't even an option for me (thank goodness). I don't drink coffee, only tea occasionally but I prefer to stay away from too much caffeine.

What do you guys do to combat being tired? And how normal is this?

Replies

• dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do you take Vitamin D? I've heard that if you are deficient in Vitamin D it can lead to more tiredness. I've also heard that B12 can help. Are you able to take a power nap or go for a quick walk around the block when you get sleepy? I find that it's worth it to take a quick nap instead of trying to artificially wake up.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? Are you on a consistent sleeping schedule?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a multivitamin if you don't already. Possibly go to your doctor and get blood work done to check for deficiencies. I actually have increased my energy level drastically since starting MFP. Sleeping and getting up at the same time every day (even weekends) can help too. Getting your 8 hours can aid weight loss too.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Working out actually makes me feel "more" energized; not less. Are you eating the additional calories that your exercise allows you above your base allowance?
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    you could be anemic or low in iron. doesn't seem like you eat red meat so maybe an iron supplement
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    When I first started cutting down my calories and exercising it took me a few weeks to for my body to get used to it. I was very tired starting out and wasn't motivated to do anything. About the 3rd week into this I started to see that my energy levels had increased and didn't feel tired all the time. Hopefully you see your energy coming back soon!
  • comma44
    comma44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I used to be anemic so I should probably get some blood tests and ask see if I need a vitamin supplement. I am getting pretty reguiar sleep so hopefully this will fade as I get more used to this change. I really hope its not iron because iron pills make me feel really gross. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions :)
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    check ur thyroid.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I start dragging if I go low on my water intake.