Product Labelling (in Canada)

Options
Pandorian
Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
Well this was an eye opening read as I checked my email tonight

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/eat-well/nutrition/the-truth-about-product-labels

From that link

Mulit-grain

"Multi" simply means more than one, so a muffin bearing this label, for example, could be made with many types of nutritious grains, such as oats and bran. But it could also be loaded with sugar, salt, and trans-fats, like many "mutli-grain" muffins and cookies you find in coffee shops. And the grains these products contain may not be present in their whole-grain form, which is the most nutritious way to consume grains. So a product labelled "multi-grain" isn't autimatically health food.

"The word ‘multi-grain’ really is open to interpretation, so it ultimately means nothing," says Cook.

Makes for interesting read and... well the fruits and veggies (unpackaged) at least don't come with those labels right on them so sticking to the whole, natural and wholesome foods.... better idea of what you're getting especially if you can grow your own.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks.
    Another term that can be mis-leading is "light". It can mean light in colour or flavour, not necessarily light in calories.
    You really have to be on the ball these days to read through the labels - a good reason to buy things that don't have labels (like fruit and veggies!)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    That is why it is much more important to turn to the ingredients and the nutrition information label. I always get a laugh out of all the things that have "blueberries" but actually have no blueberries at all.