HRM and calories burned

Options
I know this has been answered before, but I can't find it. I just got the Polar FT40 HRM (haven't used it yet), and I want to know what the "calories burned" really means. Does the number displayed by the HRM include the BMR calories as well, or is it in addition to the BMR calories? My BRM, according to MFP is 1573 calories. That means my body burns about 65 calories per hour (on average) just living. If I work out for an hour, should I subtract 65 calories from the number the HRM gives me?

Replies

• sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm interested in what other people have to say about this.

For me, I subtract 1 calorie per minute, because the math is easier.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I assume the HRM is including your BMR calories and not subtracting them from your workout, unless you have a particular model that does that ( not sure if they make those) but I feel like it would tell you in the manual that it does that. I use my HRM when I work out and I don't subtract my BMR. A lot of people say you should, and I have been thinking about doing it. I do subtract it if I am doing a particular exercise that isn't keeping me in my fat burning zone (like when I clean my mothers house or lift weights) all in all, 65 calories arnt a lot to subtract so I say subtract them and see how you feel!
    ps- thanks for posting this question, I think I'm going to start subtracting my BMR from my calories burned!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't think that most subtract BMR calories.. so you can subtract them if you want but 64 calories? Its really not a lot, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have a Polar FT7, don't subtract my calories and I've lost weight.