How do you not get obsessed....?

Options
Once upon a time, I didn't even think about excercising daily, it didn't cross my mind. But now that I have lost the weight, it seems that if I don't get to work out daily, I am in a pissy mood and all I can think about is how the pounds are going to jump right back on my boo hiney.

How do you find a healthy balance between working out and eating right, and not becoming obsessed and making it rule your day and life?

I feel like it's really affecting my family life, because I want to be home spending time with the kiddos, but if I haven't gotten a chance to excercise that day...due to dr. check ups, PTA obligations, errands, etc. I feel like a failure.:cry: Help!

Perhaps I should start working out at 5:30 in the morning, that way it's finished early on and I can move on....unfortunately all the GOOD classes I love and that helped me get into shape are all around 10am. BOO:ohwell:

Replies

• fit4fun
    fit4fun Posts: 84
    Options
    Once upon a time, I didn't even think about excercising daily, it didn't cross my mind. But now that I have lost the weight, it seems that if I don't get to work out daily, I am in a pissy mood and all I can think about is how the pounds are going to jump right back on my boo hiney.

How do you find a healthy balance between working out and eating right, and not becoming obsessed and making it rule your day and life?

I feel like it's really affecting my family life, because I want to be home spending time with the kiddos, but if I haven't gotten a chance to excercise that day...due to dr. check ups, PTA obligations, errands, etc. I feel like a failure.:cry: Help!

Perhaps I should start working out at 5:30 in the morning, that way it's finished early on and I can move on....unfortunately all the GOOD classes I love and that helped me get into shape are all around 10am. BOO:ohwell:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I do mine first thing in the morning and every now and again I will take my son to the park or hiking that way I am getting some sort of work out. And I really don't know how to give you advice on how not to be obsessed...lol I am the same way!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i am struggling with the same thing except i still have 20lbs to lose. i work full time 9-6 pick my daughter up from daycare get home at 6:15pm cook dinner eat with the family by 7:30pm then its 2 kids in the bath and then off to bed. my only time would be at 9pm but then i miss out on time with my husband who i havent seen since 6am that morning. its tuff when your a busy wife and mom.

i wish i had some good advice for you, my only advice is that we have to make ourselves important too, sometimes. we are worth it.

im going to try getting up early and getting on the tredmill or doing the shred dvd before getting the kids up and ready. but im not a morning person.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. It is a sort of obsession I suppose. But I talked with my husband and kids about it and explained that I love doing things for them and with me, but that I need my own time so that I can be a more productive mommy/wife. I do hard core exercising at a gym that the kids love to play in the play place, so that helps. And now that I have set up a routine, my family doesn't plan anything for me during my scheduled exercise times. They've become very supportive and will sometimes even push me out the door if I'm feeling a little lazy (what exactly are they doing when I'm not around?)

So don't be too hard on yourself. Mother of four, you need that hour or so of doing something for you. And getting up super early and missing out on sleep will only hurt you in the end (this from a woman who works at 3 am in the morning so I can get everything else done during normal hours).

Keep up the good work though. Enjoy your exercise, and it will probably help you enjoy your kids. Also a good example for them.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh I am NOT the one to ask this question. I have to obsess in order to lose weight.

So you will see my name pop up all the time!

Ok so what I think is this. We obessed over food, right? But it was more like I cant BELIEVE I ate that double cheeseburger, super fries and humongous coke.

So we are replacing it with a new healthier obsession.

Just my thoughts
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you!! You're making healthy choices for your life.

The fact is that for me, I have to build my day around working out. I've gotten into a rhythm where my workouts are earmarked, and no one (read: family members) expect me to appear until a certain time, and that time is IMMOVABLE. If I don't make that ME TIME, I will be miserable -- I have to remember that I MATTER. That way, I don't have to feel guilty or worry when I'll have that time. It's pre-determined.

Eating is very natural to me now. I don't think about not having time for cooking for myself, and using the BK or ARBYS alternative - I just adapt what I have to what I need to put in my mouth. I can always find a healthy substitute.

If you can get up at 5:30 and work out, do it. You deserve it - I suppose that's how I look at it, so I don't feel like there's any imbalance. Good luck!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm a BUSY mom of three kiddos, work full time, and my oldest two are on the swim team (practice every day), so I MUST exercise in the morning (530-630) since I'm at work all day, then busy shuttling kids, making dinner, homework, etc. in the evening. We are so busy during the week - TV is collecting dust! :laugh:
  • vypergrl
    Options
    Okay ladies,

There are good obsessions--clean eating :wink:
    There are bad obsessions--weighing yourself EVERY day :mad:

Wanting to get your workout in every day isn't a bad thing, although you NEED to give yourself at least ONE day off to rest your muscles.

As for the weight coming back on, here's the simple rule for weight loss and maintenance

Calories in= fuel
    Working out= burning calories
    eating unhealthy + not working out 4-5 times a week= weight gain
    Eating clean +working out 4-5 times a week= weight loss (you have to burn calories to drop weight)
    Eating clean + working out 3 times a week= maintenance of what you already have

Basically IF you are eating clean (as best you can) and you have a good regimen of working out b/t 4-5 days a week, then you have nothing to worry about. A MORE aggressive workout program of 5-6 days a week drops weight faster, as long as you stick to clean eating (4-5 mini meals a day) this keeps your internal furnace burning the fat...and you can have your day-2 days off without freaking about 10 lbs jumping on to your rear. LOL. :smokin:

I could give you more hints if you like..just let me know
    IF you want some good information about working out/ supplements/ eating clean I suggest using Oxygen mag and Fitness RX. I used to LOVE Muscle and Fitness Hers..but it's become a crappy--overpriced mag.

Cheers and best of luck to you! :drinker:
    Audry
  • kristineh86
    Options
    I wish I could help but I am in the same exact boat with you! I could use some helpful advice as well!