Something is FISHY

Options
Can you guys help me choose what kind of fish to eat and how to cook it. The only fish I have ever really had is deep fried cod. I do like scallops and shrimp. But again I dont know how to cook them. (well shrimp you boil, thats abt all I know.)

Any suggests would be appreciated as I would like to incorporate more fish into my diet.

FYI, I enjoy cooking and am very comfortable in the kitchen.

Replies

• amorgan101187
    Options
    at ther grocery store you can buy salmon fillets, tilapia ect. some are already flavored and are good. kraft online also has some good fish recipes. i personally love salmon! at my grocerie store they also have salmon kabobs - ive never tried them but they look good and cant be that bad for you im assuming since its all fish and vegetables.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    We eat salmon fillets almost every week. The kids love it and it is a great source of those essential fatty acids. I usually put fresh lemon slices on top of each fillet, together with some herbs, wrap them in foil in stick them in the oven for 15-20 mins. mmmm yummy.
    Sometimes I put a honey and mustard glaze on them and grill them. They go all sticky and tasty!
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    Agreed, I'm big on tilapia and salmon! I just did a parmesan crusted baked tilapia last night, once it's in the oven it took about 20 minutes on 400, no flipping or anything needed!
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    I hated fish as a kid but have fallen in love with salmon as a grown person. :-) I make it two ways, both with fillets:

First: fillet, and about a Tbsp of butter divided into dabs (I usually quarter the Tbsp up). Place on top of fish. Sprinkle with dried dill. Bake at 375/400 degrees F 10 minutes for every inch of thickness.

Second: Take a fillet and put it in enough foil to make a pouch. Top with a spoonful or two of spaghetti sauce, cut up about 1/2 an onion and about 1/2 a pepper (more if you like them). Close the pouch. Cook at about 375 (F) for about 15-20 minutes. So good, esp. with something starchy.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Dont boil shrimp!! it only takes minutes to cook. I love salmon and tilapia too. I bought a oil pump and i use that to coat my pan so the fish doesnt stick or i use a broth as a type or "oil" and basically turn it into a garlic lemony fish and i make a sauce with the drippings to put over my brown rice.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    I know nothing about fish, but I do know that shrimp that comes without the shell, with the tail still on, and frozen, is delicious grilled. We put them on a kebob skewer, take the tail off, put some 0 cal spray butter and chicken seasoning (its just what we have, so we use it :)), and grill it with some grilled chicken, peppers, etc - friggin delicious...probably in my top 5 favorite meals.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, for shrimp, I like to buy the pre-cooked frozen ones, pinch off the tails, double check the "vein" is removed and throw them in with just about any pasta. If you go to the skinnytaste website, she has some great shrimp recipes. My favorite is the Angel hair with shrimp and tomato sauce. Sooooo good.

Chowders are a great way to use white fish but they're a bit too hearty for this time of year (for my taste anyway) but if you're interested, go to food.com and look for the Down East Haddock Chowder - best recipe for chowder as far as I'm concerned! You can really use this for any seafood - we've added cooked lobster, clam, etc.

For salmon or swordfish or tuna (more "meaty" fishes), I'd suggest grilling, broiling or baking.

Good luck experimenting!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been on a swordfish steak kick recently. Although I cook my fish on the grill, not sure if you do that or not. Here is what I do:

Pull out enough aluminum foil so that you can wrap the fish completely. I squeeze fresh lemon juice and sprinkle a little bit of lemon & pepper seasoning on both sides of the steak. I also put a tiny amount of minced garlic on both sides. Add a small slice of butter in with the fish and then wrap it up completely. Cook on the grill for a total of 6-8 minutes (3-4 on each side) depending on how thick it is.

Swordfish will not get flaky when it's cooked. It should have a soft, moist consistency when it is fully cooked. If it is tough then it's overcooked.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Just bought some tilapia. I've never seen it before here in the UK but as it was mentioned by quite a few people here I thought I'd give it a go! It is already dressed in chilli and coriander. Should be good pan fried.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    We love fish at our house. I like to get tilapia, salmon, tuna, halibut.

My two favorite ways to cook them are 1. grill 2. bake in the oven

When it's on the grill, I put the fish in aluminum foil and drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice on it. Then I top with tomatoes, onions or whatever veggies I have. Then I form a "tent" with the aluminum foil and have hubby put on the grill.

In the oven I do a similar technique using a marinade or veggies. I like to experiment with whatever we have on hand.
    But no aluminum tent.

My favorite shrimp dish is my Garlic Shrimp Pasta.
    Boil whole wheat angel hair, or which ever you prefer.
    Cook the shrimp on the stove top with some crushed garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.

Then put the pasta after it is cooked into the skillet after the shrimp is about cooked through. This allows it all to merry together and become extra flavorful! YUM! THEN... top off with halved cherry tomatoes and some crumbled feta! :bigsmile: