Bummed about sore muscles

2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

I didn’t say work the same muscle again the next day, but I also didn’t specify otherwise; my fault. I know muscles need time to recover but I am talking about straight soreness not recovery time. In my example I was sore for my Wednesday workout as a result of not squatting for a week prior to the previous Monday even though I had a 48 hour recovery time, and I worked through the soreness (which is gone pretty much after the first set). This is more beneficial then skipping my Wednesday workout because I was still sore. And that is what I am saying, if you allowed for the recovery time, but are still sore, then yes you should push through it. Too many people will skip and/or recommend skipping workouts because they are sore, even though they had ample recovery time.

I am not a scientist, didn’t claim to be and never will be nor did I offer up my experience as proof; I quite bluntly stated that it was based upon my experience; and anecdotal evidence is still evidence. I am also not disagreeing with highly recognized weight lifting tenants. As I said I did not say anything about disregarding recovery time.

dude, you need to re-read what the original poster wrote, then what I wrote, then what you wrote, or let someone else do it that has no opinion, that's all I'll say.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903

I didn’t say work the same muscle again the next day, but I also didn’t specify otherwise; my fault. I know muscles need time to recover but I am talking about straight soreness not recovery time. In my example I was sore for my Wednesday workout as a result of not squatting for a week prior to the previous Monday even though I had a 48 hour recovery time, and I worked through the soreness (which is gone pretty much after the first set). This is more beneficial then skipping my Wednesday workout because I was still sore. And that is what I am saying, if you allowed for the recovery time, but are still sore, then yes you should push through it. Too many people will skip and/or recommend skipping workouts because they are sore, even though they had ample recovery time.

I am not a scientist, didn’t claim to be and never will be nor did I offer up my experience as proof; I quite bluntly stated that it was based upon my experience; and anecdotal evidence is still evidence. I am also not disagreeing with highly recognized weight lifting tenants. As I said I did not say anything about disregarding recovery time.

dude, you need to re-read what the original poster wrote, then what I wrote, then what you wrote, or let someone else do it that has no opinion, that's all I'll say.

Dude, you should read my first post in response to OP’s. I already recommended rest to her. My problem was with your blanket statement of “What you should NOT ever do is attempt to "push through" the soreness”. My entire point is that IF YOU HAD SUFFICIENT REST and are still sore, it can be beneficial to push through it.
  • SHBoss1673

Dude, you should read my first post in response to OP’s. I already recommended rest to her. My problem was with your blanket statement of “What you should NOT ever do is attempt to "push through" the soreness”. My entire point is that IF YOU HAD SUFFICIENT REST and are still sore, it can be beneficial to push through it.

That's all well and good, but you didn't SAY that in your reply to my reply, you didn't even imply it or refer back to your original post, and you failed to noticed that the OP said she had worked out full body 8 days out of the last nine (she wasn't giving herself 1 to 2 days rest at all). I don't care if you have a problem with my statement. It's my belief, based on my training and research, that soreness (and muscle soreness is different from muscle stiffness that you have after multiple days of rest) requires rest. 24 to 48 hours of rest and recovery. Light cardio and stretching is allowed because it doesn't overly tax muscles and allows for improved blood flow.

Maybe you misunderstood what I mean by push through the soreness, I don't know, but that means go back the next day, when your muscles hurt and try to work them in an intense manner.

What ever, I'm done with this conversation, there's nothing constructive to add to it.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. The sore muscles are from lactic acid that is built up in your muscles from wroking them in ways they aren't used to worked. It's a good thing, but the stretching will help get that acid moving and elliviate the soreness. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to replenish those sore muscles and eat lots of protein to repair them.

As far as working out today, take the day off from strength training and just go with some cardio. Walk, jog, or elliptical are good forms of cardio to make sure you're staying active but will allow those sore muscles to rest and repair themselves. Keep it up! That soreness is a good sign!
  • SHBoss1673
    Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. The sore muscles are from lactic acid that is built up in your muscles from wroking them in ways they aren't used to worked. It's a good thing, but the stretching will help get that acid moving and elliviate the soreness. Also, be sure to drink plenty of water to replenish those sore muscles and eat lots of protein to repair them.

As far as working out today, take the day off from strength training and just go with some cardio. Walk, jog, or elliptical are good forms of cardio to make sure you're staying active but will allow those sore muscles to rest and repair themselves. Keep it up! That soreness is a good sign!

Not the soreness she is talking about, lactic acid build up in muscles is reduced and removed within about 15 to 30 minutes after an exercise routine is completed. DOMS is something completely different. Oh, and FYI for all, lactic acid isn't produced from muscles that aren't used to being worked in a certain way, it's produced when the muscles become anaerobic, whether you're a trained sprinter after 3 simultaneous 400 yard dashes or a person who hasn't worked out in 20 years and tries to sprint 50 yards, you'll both build up lactic acid, and you'll both get rid of it in minutes after you finish.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903

That's all well and good, but you didn't SAY that in your reply to my reply, you didn't even imply it or refer back to your original post, and you failed to noticed that the OP said she had worked out full body 8 days out of the last nine (she wasn't giving herself 1 to 2 days rest at all). I don't care if you have a problem with my statement. It's my belief, based on my training and research, that soreness (and muscle soreness is different from muscle stiffness that you have after multiple days of rest) requires rest. 24 to 48 hours of rest and recovery. Light cardio and stretching is allowed because it doesn't overly tax muscles and allows for improved blood flow.

Maybe you misunderstood what I mean by push through the soreness, I don't know, but that means go back the next day, when your muscles hurt and try to work them in an intense manner.

What ever, I'm done with this conversation, there's nothing constructive to add to it.

I think we agree. we are just approaching the topic differently and omitted some information in our points.
  • mama4bee
    mama4bee Posts: 5
    I just started running again last week and was soooo sore! I found that doing some yoga before and after helped out a lot! On my "off" days, I try to do a workout that is easier, like walking and ball workouts. Do you have a rotation schedule? Like core one day, legs the next and so on? That can help with soreness too. Good luck and keep going! Sounds like you are off to a fantastic start!
  • So since starting this program I have been working out like mad! 8 out of the last 9 days trying different things and working ALL muscle groups. Problem is, I'm sore today and think my body needs rest but I want to do more! At least get in some cardio and burn some calories. I feel I could push myself through the soreness but I want it to get better and go away and not make it worse, or do any damage. Suggestions?? I feel lazy if I don't do some form of exercise.... (BTW I have NEVER been this motivated before and it feels GREAT!!!!)

I would just do some cardio and stretch. If cardio even hurts or is discomforting, try taking down the level a notch or 2 or do some fast walking or treadmill to burn some calories. Id def stay away from weight resistance.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Good advice... thank you! I have mix for whey protein shakes from GNC as well that I was planning on having for lunch today as the girl from GNC also suggested I have more protein. Had tuna for dinner last night and planning on chicken tonight,. Thanks so much! What a great learning experience this is. LOVING it! :happy:
    Unsolicited "two cents" here - GNC advice is hit-or-miss, largely due to the cross-section of whom is working there. Some are very versed in diet and exercise by way of formal study, some are enthusiastic amateurs that have developed their knowledge through their own experiences, and some are trainees, salespersons, and shelf-stockers that don't know anything that isn't printed on the label. You're dealing with the whole spectrum. There is also a good chance that the person advising you is being compensated based on the sale of a particular product, regardless of whether that product fits with your goals. I've had a couple ex-employees tell me that there are spiffs and perks in place for sales of certain items, despite the company's formal line that it is health-focused, not sales-focused. So, they may be on the mark, or they may be well-meaning and/or well-informed, or they may be flat-out wrong, or they may be trying to sell you something out of self-interest and not care about whether it works for you or harms you.

Personally, I had a salesperson recommend a powder with a protein level waaaay in excess of what my exercise level demanded. Shame on me for choosing to use it without doing further research. Had I checked with someone more versed in exercise science and diet, I would have learned that I was both wasting money and endangering my kidney function with what was, for me, a fairly extreme protein-loaded diet. Thankfully a routine check-up warned me that something was off and I was able to adjust.

I'd still suggest locating a sports nutritionist in your area. They'll assist you for a small fee (much less than medical bills, IMHO) and work in your best interest - not in the interest of the store.
  • SHBoss1673

Unsolicited "two cents" here - GNC advice is hit-or-miss, largely due to the cross-section of whom is working there. Some are very versed in diet and exercise by way of formal study, some are enthusiastic amateurs that have developed their knowledge through their own experiences, and some are trainees, salespersons, and shelf-stockers that don't know anything that isn't printed on the label. You're dealing with the whole spectrum. There is also a good chance that the person advising you is being compensated based on the sale of a particular product, regardless of whether that product fits with your goals. I've had a couple ex-employees tell me that there are spiffs and perks in place for sales of certain items, despite the company's formal line that it is health-focused, not sales-focused. So, they may be on the mark, or they may be well-meaning and/or well-informed, or they may be flat-out wrong, or they may be trying to sell you something out of self-interest and not care about whether it works for you or harms you.

Personally, I had a salesperson recommend a powder with a protein level waaaay in excess of what my exercise level demanded. Shame on me for choosing to use it without doing further research. Had I checked with someone more versed in exercise science and diet, I would have learned that I was both wasting money and endangering my kidney function with what was, for me, a fairly extreme protein-loaded diet. Thankfully a routine check-up warned me that something was off and I was able to adjust.

I'd still suggest locating a sports nutritionist in your area. They'll assist you for a small fee (much less than medical bills, IMHO) and work in your best interest - not in the interest of the store.

I would 100% agree with this. I've heard some, lets just call it "interesting" advice from GNC guys (it's always the guys for some reason with me, the women in GNC seem to always veer away from me, what's that about, do I secretly smell or something, why wouldn't my wife tell me if I did?). Anyway, I always research what I need, then browse over to the GNC site to see if they have anything close, I never go in there without knowing the product I want, and usually call ahead to see if that store is carrying it. Otherwise you gotta browse the shelves and that's when they walk up and start trying to sell stuff to you.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    CNN called stretching to prevent soreness a myth, and cited this article: http://www.cfah.org/hbns/archives/viewSupportDoc.cfm?supportingDocID=484

Interesting read... kinda dry, but still interesting.
  • RandaDerkson
    RandaDerkson Posts: 18 Member
    I have been really sore for the last three days. Today is the first day my body doesn't hate (or really love) me. I pushed through, but tomorrow I am taking a rest day. I can tell my body needs it.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Try tiger balm and a magnesium supplements.
This discussion has been closed.