HELP NO MOTIVATION HOW MUCH DID YOU LOSE YOUR FIRST MONTH

Options
HELP I WANT TO GET THIS THING JUMPSTARTED AND GO TO THE GYM BUT BY THE TIME I GET HOME FROM WORK IM EXHAUSTED AND FIND MYSELF ALWAYS SAYING ILL START TOMORROW, TOMMORROW ISNT COMING I NEED MOTIVATION CAN YOU HELP WITH SOME STORIES ABOUT HOW YOU JUMPSTARTED YOUR WEIGHTLOSS AND HOW MUCH YOU LOST IN THE FIRST MONTH THANKS

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Take the smallest pair of pants you own and wear them all day. Feel how uncomfortable you are in them, and how crappy you feel about not being able to fit in them.

Then you'll have a new outlook to do something about it.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 4-5 pounds in the first week... but thats because the habits I had were terrible and cutting all of that **** out helped right away.

The first month is a lifestyle change, dont tell yourself to start tomorrow. Pick a date and stay firm... the differences in the first week will keep you motivated! along with friends... i'll send an invite your way!

keep your head up and you have nothing to prove, or lose... all you have to do is give it a shot.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    One thing I just want to say.......start TODAY, then you are one day closer to being where you want!
  • isobel2010
    isobel2010 Posts: 26
    Options
    I didn't lose more than 2 pounds in first month. Mine has been a slow and steady weight lose. I think everyone has mental issues they struggle with and what MFP does is to help you log on each day while you work through the other stuff. It becomes a safe and logical place to put your food intake and exercise down and if you track each day - you will lose weight! I think you have to be creative in your work outs. Schedule your gym time. Wake up 45 min. earlier. Park farther away. Turn on music in the morning and dance while you make breakfast. Just get your body moving and it will all add up! You can do this. It's a great, supportive community with great suggestions. Make yourself a mini-deal that you'll log in and exercise each day for 14 days and see what happens. You can also exercise in 10 min. blocks of time - just do 3 or 4 of them a day! Good luck!
  • jrcardenas80
    Options
    Try going before work- even though it may seem ridiculously early :) if you just get up and go (make sure you have some good music to keep you going- P!nk works great for me) you will feel great. By the time you think about going to the gym after you've been at work it's hard to motivate yourself to do anything. If you go before work you may have a rough first few minutes, but that goes away in no time and you will really have so much more energy throughout the day.
  • sbourassa18
    Options
    I've lost 4 pounds in my first 3 days. But yes, it's proof of how bad I was eating before and I don't expect this kind of loss after this week. It definitely helps with motivation though!

Have you considered working out in the morning?
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started thinking about why I wanted to lose and made a game plan! For me it is about my health and my son....I just changed my mindset and started making better choices. Cake vs. Swimming, Watching tv vs. playing wii just dance with my son, etc... pick things you love to do and make rewards. Hope this helps you.

As far as losing I want to think I lost 14lb my first month and about 4 this month but it isn't about how much as long as it keeps coming off. You will see this a lot.....It took time to put on the weight, it will take time to get it off.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I only lost one pound my first month but almost 5 inches...

I found that there wasn't really anything anyone could tell me that would get me motivated. I just had to fake it until I didn't have to fake it anymore.

The one thing I can say is that the more you go the more you will want to go. So just get going! :smile:
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Workouts give you so much energy! I use to think I was too tired to workout too, but then when I did I'd have all this energy and started cleaning and doing some work and even sleeping better at night! YOU CAN DO IT!

I started at 280 pounds and quickly lost 20 pounds in my first month! I was amazed. I started with 5 minutes at a time. I have workout machines in my home so it was easy to get on a stair climber or elliptical throughout the day, but it did give me energy and now I'm 42 pounds lighter and TODAY I rode my bike to work for the first time and I'm not sluggish or anything. Ready and rearing to go!

You can do this! Let tomorrow be today!!!! I'm rooting for you!!!!!
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I was working I would go to the gym on my lunch break. That might not be enough time for you but you could go for a walk and feel refreshed and energized to possibly go after work. Even if you don't make it to the gym to exercise there are lots of exercises you can do at home. A little bit everyday helps. Gradually get into the routine of exercising and soon you'll look forward to it. Don't do too much too fast. Slow and steady, this is not a race. This is your life!

Take care
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, what's the tougher battle for you? Food or finding time to work out. For me personally I knew I had to get a handle on eating better before I tried adding in consistent exercise. One thing at a time. So I spent my first month sticking strictly to my calorie goals while switching to more healthy recipes. I lost about 9 pounds that month. Then I slowly worked in exercise. Now I exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes. I think it's really about figuring out what works best for you. Don't set yourself up for failure by saying you're going to go to the gym every day. Just start with an achievable goal. Twice a week maybe and then on other days maybe you can run or walk or do a DVD at home? You can add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Try working out in the morning in that way you get it over and you will have a burst of energy .......I had the same problem when i first started .... oh i will workout out after work but i was so tried and exhausted to do anything....simply stretching for 10 mins in the mornings and go from there. I lost 4lbs in the first month
  • ashleyk0407
    ashleyk0407 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANKS GUYS :)
  • fpc123jenny
    Options
    My fitness pal has helped me so much this first month. I didn't realize how many calories I was taking in until I had to start listing each and every thing. I hope I can keep it up. I need to lose around 80 pounds.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I havent completed my first month yet, but so far I have lost 13 pounds (started May 30th) Motivation is a personal thing, you have to decide why you want to lose the weight and in turn make yourself a priority. MFP can push and encourage you, but you have to actually push and encourage yourself as well. For me going to the gym will only get done if I go there directly after I leave work. I know that if I go home first, the chances of me getting back in my car and driving the 2 miles to my gym will probably never happen.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Well, what's the tougher battle for you? Food or finding time to work out. For me personally I knew I had to get a handle on eating better before I tried adding in consistent exercise. One thing at a time. So I spent my first month sticking strictly to my calorie goals while switching to more healthy recipes. I lost about 9 pounds that month. Then I slowly worked in exercise. Now I exercise at least 3 times a week for 30 to 60 minutes. I think it's really about figuring out what works best for you. Don't set yourself up for failure by saying you're going to go to the gym every day. Just start with an achievable goal. Twice a week maybe and then on other days maybe you can run or walk or do a DVD at home? You can add me as a friend if you'd like!

This makes sense! I've heard it said weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I read so many forum help-requested messages that seem to have the mind set that to lose weight they just need to get active. Maybe turn it around, start thinking about how you've been eating, start tracking what you are eating, then start planning how to eat better, THEN work in some exercise options or just walk 3 times a day for 20 min each time. Losing weight is a process, not an event.

Good luck and happy eating!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful hint. Don't go straight home from work. Put your gym bag in the front seat of your car, and when you leave the office, go straight to the gym. It's as simple as that.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well its been 20 days and i've lost 8 pounds so far.

i realize i've been eating a lot of crap... so now that i logged them and stop eating them, the weight kinda started to just come off slowly but surely. i felt good so i started to walk everyday... then the walk turned into a jog...

i like what "aflan" says,... pack your clothes and keep them with you and go straight to the gym after work

if you cant make it to the gym, take a walk... turn on your music and dance for a lil.. do something active.

When u're tired is when u ought to push a lil more. Tell yourself, ok 15 minutes... just 15 minutes... or 10..
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I lost 8lbs my first week but I was 258 lbs at the time, dont rush things, just make sure to stay within your calories allowed and eat healthy foods
  • AeriykTheRed
    AeriykTheRed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of any program is the first month. I started doing a hour of cardio a day(keep in mind this is overkill but I am not going to college in the summer and have nothing to do:p) and after 4 days I found it easier to navigate steps and had generally more energy. Once you get past that, it becomes a habit. I would look at other things that you do for fun that you could substitute exercise for. Most clubs, once you get going with exercise, have fun classes that you can take(such as spinner classes) that help keep your motivation up.