tips for finding a job

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
i have my psych degree and a college diploma in social services

and i have the HARDEST time finding a job. i have lost my zest for applying. whenever i apply now and i go to my email to start entering their email address, it comes up as something i have already recently emailed.

does anyone have any excellent tips for finding a job?

i'm even thinking of going to the arctic....i just want a job that i don't have to beg for.

i have my third interview for a RELIEF (on call) job, with the same organization i have been working with for years. problem is, they are relgiious. i don't even want to put it on my resume so it would be for their pisspoor pay. what do i do? yargh :(

p.s. my resume is chalkfull of experience both employment and volunteer. i have two points underneath each place of employment stating my most outstanding description of what i accomplished there. i also list all of the workshops i have attended.

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I’m going to bump this because I think it’s important for yourself and any other person who is having trouble seeking a job in this economy.

You might laugh at me because I’m younger and don’t have a degree yet. However, I would like to label myself as a legitimate source as I am getting paid more than most fresh college graduates and I’m only a summer intern. Aside from that I was offered a job this past weekend in Washington DC, but they hadn’t realized that I am still in college.

I certainly feel like others may have helpful tips to offer you from the senior level management side but I can offer you tips from my experiences dealing with big businesses in a competitive field.

One thing I would like to say about Psych is that it’s not the easiest major and I couldn’t do it myself. What you have to do is make yourself unique. Look at this whole thing like the weight loss program many of us are members of MFP for. Make a goal, what do you want out of your job and what would you like to do FOR a job? When it comes to loading resume’s, put only things that are relevant or applicable to what you might be doing. I worked as a cook at an amusement park in high school and volunteered to help at an elementary school but I don’t put that on my resume. Sometimes the hiring agent will ask “are there any other volunteer or work related experiences you could share with us?” and that’s when it comes out. Put yourself in an employer’s shoes, who goes through several resume’s per day; what can you do to make yours stand out?

Also, if anybody has ever told you to keep it to one page tell them to blow because you can make your resume as long as you’d like as well as it’s relevant. (Mine’s 2 pages). I can’t say much on formatting, but I formatted my resume so uniquely that I get calls just because they’re interested in the creator behind it.

So NOTES:
    - Make a goal, where do you want to be or where would you like to see yourself?
    - Work on your resume a bit more, what can you do to make it shine?
    - Remove anything that has no relevance… I see too many people put down “I was a cub scout!” or “I was on varsity sports in college!” (doesn’t matter)
    - Relevant coursework, any courses that you could apply to your job
    - What else can you do to make yourself a more competitive candidate?
    - If you can specialize, do it.

This may all sound elementary to you, but I’m somebody who is able to get a job in a tough economy without having received a degree yet. I’m a technical major, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t hard for people like us to get jobs too. Just think of yourself as a product and you’re your own sales representative. What more can you do to make you sound like the world’s greatest investment?

This reply wasn’t meant to come off as arrogant. If I can find a job that might suit you at my company, I’ll send you a message.
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Disagree 100% about not keeping the resume on one page. I interact with recruiters and hiring managers all the time. One page is all they want to see. If you can't make a strong case for an interview on one page, then you are not what they are looking for anyway. The stuff you can not fit on to one page will give you plenty to talk about during an interview.

Your lack of success is most likely due to the economy and the overwhelming competition you are facing in your job search.

Be persistant.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    do you think there is a real way of highlighting that it is a CONDENSED resume, i have a lot of experience and don't want to miss out on any opportunities because they think i don't have enough

maybe i can actually title it somehow in that way?

remove the job descriptions? and just list all the locations and titles?

this is going to be hard.

i've literally applied everywhere and it really pisses me off when people far less qualified are taking my jobs just because i want to highlight my experience thoroughly. yargh!

any tips?

let's create a monster together!
  • NobodyKnows
    Options
    I am not the expert, just know some. Personally I would get rid of anything not relevent to the career you are pursuing. I would get rid of Donor Clerk and Christmas fundraiser for sure.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    but it is totally relevent in the nonprofit sector...like doing philanthropy. every job expects you to fundraise :(
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Disagree 100% about not keeping the resume on one page. I interact with recruiters and hiring managers all the time. One page is all they want to see.
    100% agree. You are too young to have more than a one page resume. Tailor it to the specific employer, and use good, thick paper...not the regular printer paper.

I would suggest applying for government positions, especially since you graduated with honors which means you can skip a test other people would have to take. Unfortunately, if you want a high paying job, or one that really utilizes your degree, I would suggest going back to school and getting either an M.D. or P.H.D.

I think it is worth it to go back to school, especially since you are still young! Your degree isn't known for turning out many good jobs (I'm sure you must have known this...tbh, my teachers often make fun of liberal arts majors because of this), and I don't think you would want to work as a clerk at a desk or counseling sickos such as child molesters...

An M.D. or P.H.D. is highly valuable, will actually get you a job you will most likely love, and you will pay well.

Good luck no matter what your choice! :smile:

EDIT: I will strongly disagree that sexual molesters are not sickos, but that is besides the point.

I too have a three page main resume that I keep FOR MYSELF. I have to force myself to choose only 1-page of stuff each time I do my resume. I know it feels bad, but your resume reflects yourself. A 2-page resume tells people you are unable to make choices, scattered, and cluttered -- I'm not saying this is true of you, but the people reading your resume do not know you, and thus can only judge you by a piece of paper.

You can take my advice or leave it, it doesn't effect me either way.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    i am planning on going back to school later...but I want to work fulltime for a few years. i've been in postsecondary for 6 years. i want to work.

so far, though it has been a huge pain in my *kitten*, my initative has gotten me a plethora of experience, moreso than someone OLDER can say they have. my age isn't plastered on my resume anywhere.

also, i do want to work with "sickos", I want to keep working in the homeless sector or the mental health field with marginalized populations, whether they are impoverished and living with schizophrenia, or in and out of the justice system as a sexual offender...it is where my experience is and i enjoy it

and i tried to get it down to one page by deleting the job descriptions, and it still won't fit

i am thinking of removing the workshops from it...but i really somehow want to keep them on there, but they are taking up a good chunk of space....but show my dedication and commitment to learning
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Patience and determination.... pretty much the same as weight loss....

Just keep at it and keep going... if you don't get a call, just move on... you'll find something in time... just don't give up and don't lose hope.

It took a 6 months for me to find my current job.... I just kept plugging away at job boards... eventually a recruiter found me and it all worked out.. then all of a sudden I received a flood of calls!

make sure you have a good resume too... have someone proof it for you and have multiple versions to tailor it to the specific job posting.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Exactly plus networking....try getting yourself up on Linkedln
  • NobodyKnows
    Options
    In regards to the type of paper, a lot of companies won't even accept paper resumes anymore. The company I work for stopped accepting paper resumes last year.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

X2.

If the charity / voluntary sector is anything like it is here in the UK it is a bit of a closed shop. It's as much about who you know as what you know. Sadly, nepotism is still rife for anything which isn't fully exposed to market forces and relies on competition. However once you are IN a job, getting others tends to be a lot easier. You just have to grit your teeth and keep going.

ps: I think having your CV with your work history and name up on a public forum is not the greatest idea in the world. Please consider editing out some if not all of the detail.
  • foxyforce
    Options

on linkedin and have had all my previous supervisors help me with my resume

keep the tips coming :)

plus i need the encouragement, as do others im sure, so thanks
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Add some numbers -- numbers tell a bigger story sometime. Such as "increased ____ by __% and maintained ___% retention rate or whatever a relevant metric might be. Managed $10,000 budget or whatever.

This makes the results that you've acheived seem a little more real and a little less subjective.

I also have to second the motion that you EDIT down to one page. It's the only accepted standard -- you have to pick out the experiences and qualifications that are MOST relevant to what you're looking for...even if that means several versions of your resume that you use for applying for different types of positions.
  • NobodyKnows
    Options
    ps: I think having your CV with your work history and name up on a public forum is not the greatest idea in the world. Please consider editing out some if not all of the detail.

I agree 100%
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Networking is a definate must in these times.

And from working in HR areas in the past, keep it to ONE page! For each position I have ever applied for, I have changed my resume to show the work experience that I have that pertains to the job I'm applying for. The other bits and pieces many times don't matter to the employer...they just want to know what you can do for them and if you are good at it. So my advice is to condense your resume for the job you are applying for....and that may even mean changing your resume up a bit every single time. It's not for everyone, every employer is different, but it's what has gotten me many of the jobs I've applied for. And also check the websites to make sure they don't require online submission of resumes and such...

And have patience! The right job is out there for you! :flowerforyou:
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    do you think there is a real way of highlighting that it is a CONDENSED resume, i have a lot of experience and don't want to miss out on any opportunities because they think i don't have enough

maybe i can actually title it somehow in that way?

remove the job descriptions? and just list all the locations and titles?

this is going to be hard.

i've literally applied everywhere and it really pisses me off when people far less qualified are taking my jobs just because i want to highlight my experience thoroughly. yargh!

any tips?

let's create a monster together!

if you have several jobs that have similar descriptions, lump the employer names together. You dont want to short change yourself but you also dont want the employer to bypass your resume because it's a novel.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Delete the profile and summary of qualifications. Most of that stuff will be assumed or discussed in the interview. If you want to add a "skills" section at the bottom of the page, you can use that to list any computer programs you're proficient with, any languages you speak, etc. Don't make this a major thing; include only what you think is relevant for the job you're applying for.

Always start with your education. If the first thing on your resume isn't when and where you went to school and what degree(s) and certifications/licenses you hold, it's a red flag.

You don't want to delete your job descriptions. Prospective employers want to know what kind of work you've done, not just where you've done it and what your title was. It's also a good idea to quantify what you've done. For instance, if you helped raise money for fundraisers, say how much. Don't just put that you were a fundraiser. If you monitored websites, how many? If you managed a team of people, how many? If you organized events, how many?

Delete the quotes from letters of reference. It's better to actually send the letter of reference or list of references with contact info. That makes it verifiable and doesn't waste valuable space on your resume. The employer may not choose to contact the references, but the fact that you've given them a letter or contact info shows that you aren't lying or hiding anything.

I tend to agree that resumes need to be kept to one page. That's what I was always taught in college. The people responsible for sifting through resumes just don't have time to scan multiple pages. Besides, it leaves an impression that you're not able to determine what's most important or tailor things so that they fit the present need.

And you can always play around with margins and font sizes to make everything fit. Of course you don't want to use a font size that's so microscopic a person needs a magnifying glass to read it or use margins that are so narrow that your resume looks ridiculous, but 12-point font and 1-inch margins are not entirely necessary, either.
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Try to keep it to one page. I know a company that actually tosses any resumes that come in that are more than one page, so try to keep it to a page.
  • foxyforce
    Options

I agree 100%

it won't let me edit :/
  • NobodyKnows
    Options

I agree 100%

it won't let me edit :/

Report the post and ask a moderator to delete it for you.