Please explain 'net' cals??

Options
Someone please explain. I know that I have my calories and if I exercise I can chose to eat them or not BUT I don’t understand why they display it how they do
EG for today
My daily calories is 1370 and I have earned 501 from exercise so if I chose to eat them all the total is 1870 so far so good. I have tracked all my food for today and it came to 1658 meaning assuming I eat all my extra cals I have 213 left. (which I chose to eat or not) BUT why does it show net as 1157? What does the net mean? I don’t get it

CALORIES REMAINING
Goal Food Exercise = Net
1370 1658 - 501 1157

Replies

• mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    and why is my exercise of 501 a minus figure? surely it should be a plus as ive added those on
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    Net calories is Food consumed minus exercise because you have basically burned some calories you ate, so you subtracted the calories, you didn't eat more so you didn't add them. Sorry if this sounds confusing.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Total calories consumed - Exercise calories burned = NET CALORIES consumed. (1658 - 501 = 1157).
  • mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    ahh ok, thanks guys
  • ebarringer
    Options
    SO ..then my question is this...If I don't eat ALL of my Calories for the Day ..*(both 1200 goal Cal, and exercise earned Cal)..Should I not loose weight faster?? IE: I consummed less then goal of 1200 OR is that the problem.?? MUST consume goal calories??.

For several weeks I have been working hard outside and therefore expedning larger Calorie amounts...ie 1,800 in exercise alone, but then only consuming...1600 of the total 3000 I could...AND I am NOT lossing like it SAYS i should HELP!!?? I have lost 20 in 2.4 months...but come on?? Do I have to eat MORE to lose??? Somethng is not right here..

I know there is "the staviation issue" where you body shuts down so you CAN;t loose if you don;t eat enough...IS this the problem??
    Doesn't seem right?
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes you need to eat all or most of the calories you are given.
  • ebarringer
    Options
    Well I will try...but that is a boat load of food! Woudl it be better to DRINK my calories in this instance..(.not alcohol)...but protein drinks etc? to meet the calorie difference?