How long does it take to get better at running?

moriaht
moriaht Posts: 251 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
So I havent been running at all at the gym, just using the ellipticals. Yesterday I ran for the first time in forever and did a 3 minute warm up at 3 mph and then went up to 5.5 and i could only run for 10 minutes! I never thought I was THAT out of shape. I want to continute running but it's almost embarassing to only run 10 mins at a slow pace and feel like i'm dying! How long did it take you guys to be able to run for a solid amount of time?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    wow i cant run for more then 2 minutes. :| have you looked into the couch 25k? it helps.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    if you keep at it and get out there at least 3 times a week, you should notice improvements in fitness quite quickly.

If you go out erratically and not that often, then it could take a long time to get better.

5mph isnt a slow pace, thats a normal running/jogging pace unless youre a sprinter
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Try a walk/run programme like C25K, where rather than just running as far as you can, you take regular walk breaks as you build up:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You may want to skip a week or two as you can already run for a while.

After that, look up Jeff Galloway's run/walk programme, which some people find helps them complete long races faster than running alone.

Here's some beginner's tips you might find useful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck!
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Couch 2 5K is awesome for getting back in shape. Before I completed C25K, I couldn't even run for 2 minutes straight. Now, almost a year later, I run 3 miles, 3 days/week. I can talk through the entire 3-mile jog now. When I first started, I could barely breathe, let alone talk! The C25K program took 9 weeks, and I went from not running for 2 minutes to running for 30 minutes straight. I have shaved 2 minutes/mile of my 5K time, and I am in better shape than I was when I was an active teenager. I cannot recommend C25K enough. It is amazing. (I was not a runner before the program).

I don't run at the gym, but we have a very popular lake by our house that is known for it's jogging/running path. There are joggers/runners of all shapes, sizes, and ability levels that run there. And I never have a negative thought go through my head about anyone there! I just think about how awesome it is that all these people are getting out and running/jogging/walking.

I can tell you from personal experience that no one is judging you for the amount that you can run. Most people are impressed that you are trying, so try not to let only running for 10 minutes bother you. I think that running for 10 minutes your first time out is pretty freakin' awesome! Keep it up, you'll get much better before you know it!
  • vladikavkaz
    vladikavkaz Posts: 137 Member
    After fooling myself that I was fit last year, I tried running back in November, and could only just about complete a mile before my lungs would be in absolute agony. This went on for a couple of weeks before I tried the couch to 5k thing as well. It certainly got my running fitness back quicker than I was managing by myself, and am now running 10k's a couple of times a week.

It certainly was infuriating at the start, but once your body gets used to doing something, it gets easier a lot quicker than you'd think

All the best,
    Russell
  • deenie169
    deenie169 Posts: 22 Member
    It takes...forever! If your goal is to continuously improve.

I do the run/walk and it works out really nicely but is hard to do on the treadmill. 5 min warm up and then run 5 min, walk 1 for as many intervals as you need.

I've run two marathons like this and agree with the previous reply: i can run faster, longer. Plus it gives me a chance to check in with my body and sort of "reset" my breathing rhythm if i started out too fast.

Stay with it!
This discussion has been closed.