What exercises do you do during your TOM?

Options
It's no surprise to probably everyone, that when TOM is in town, none of us want to work out. we'd rather lay on the couch, nibble on a square of giradeli chocolate, and just try to be smart with what we eat since we won't be burning calories.

I know as far as mine goes, it is killer almost every day, I have the cramps that put me in the mood of curling into the fetal position and willing myself to fall asleep ... the last thing I want to do is work out.

So, my question is .... Does anyone work out during their TOM, and what workouts do you do?

Replies

• BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just do my regular scheduled workout:smile:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Work out as you normally would. It sucks, but it'll make you feel so much better!
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do my regular workouts. But I don't get the cramps and other pains that many women do. An occasion migraine but that is it for me.
  • staceyschley
    Options
    Depending how bad I feel, I at least go for a long walk.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options

Ditto.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    It doesn't alter my exercise schedule. If cramping is that much of a problem for you, I would discuss it with your GYN and also consider taking ibuprofen of naproxen for a few days before you expect your period.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Same exercises. Running does great things for cramps. Me personally, if I've started my run with cramps, they are at least better through my run and often better afterward.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    yeah I workout most days at that time just ot stay out of the house.......................ya know moods and all.....LMAO.......joking!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I carry on as normal, but like most people I feel sluggish and lethargic. I probably run a bit less far, as i get more tired. I do find exercise really helps with the cramps, though.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how you feel. Sounds like you have it pretty bad. I probably wouldn't workout if I was in the kind of pain you are talking about. Does taking anything for the pain help. I personally don't usually workout on my heaviest day.
  • sarapulsifer
    Options
    I do my regular workout, which is a circuit training workout. Ive read somewhere that working out when "TOM is in town" actually helps relieve cramps. So working out when TOM s around might benefit you :)
  • sdbolam
    sdbolam Posts: 5
    Options
    I stick to the plan -- working out decreases cramping in my experience. It's when I'm still that I feel like I'm being stabbed.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I feel better and have less cramps after I exercise. Even a brisk walk helps.
  • LaughingStraightToDaBank
    Options
    Exercising actually helps period pain so doing the normal workout is good. If you're not in the mood then go for nice long walks with music so you still get enough exercise for the day.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My TOM is pretty light, so I do my regular workout. I know I don't give it the 100% that I do the rest of the month, but I would feel so much worse by not working out than by actually doing it.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I go for a brisk walk at least for 30 minutes. If im on the treadmill I usually go at an incline of at least 5 as well. I, too, get pretty bad cramps but I've noticed that on the days that I do go for a brisk walk, the pain isnt as bad and sometimes completely goes away. Plus with the calories burned on the walk, I usually treat myself to some chocolate fat free frozen yogurt and/or homemade low cal chocolate chip cookies!!
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I run.. my mouth ;P

I'm having that issue now. Totally worn out with awful cramps & I just don't wanna get outta bed. Well I've already been out of bed but ive found my way back.. but I think today I'm finally going to go to the gym, or at least do a video here.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    My workout routine does not change, even when TOM visits. My usual workout is 30 to 45 min on the elliptical, and 20 to 30 min of strength exercises.

You might want to look into taking birth control (if you don't already). Birth control will help to reduce the length of your period along with relieving some of your symptoms. It sound like you have painful cramps, and this may help a lot. I would suggest talking to your doctor.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I try to stick to my regular routine...I just take some pain meds before I start so the cramps don't kill me...:grumble:
  • luvmy2babies
    luvmy2babies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate it, I do my normal workouts. I rather not do anything, but I know that won't help any. If it's too much for you, try to at least go for some short walks. Something is better than nothing.