New side dishes?

Options
I feel like we eat so much rice and so many potatoes as side dishes in my house and I'm looking for some new things. Part of the reason is because they're cheap and part of it is because I don't know what else to do. As far as veggies go we eat a lot of broccoli, green beans, carrots, and spinach, because I can buy them frozen so they're cheap. I'm not opposed to buying fresh veggies, it's just that they're more expensive and when I buy them I don't know what to do with them and they end up rotting. Any suggestions people have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Roasted veggies are my favorite. I roast broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and green beans - and they are awesome and a whole different food than frozen ones. Yum.
  • tweatherford11
    tweatherford11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just made mashed cauliflower for the first time last night and it was yummy! There is a recipe on www.eatingwell.com that I kind of followed. :smile:
  • mom111997
    mom111997 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We use our grill a lot and I love making "veggie packs". I put fresh green beans, squash and/or zucchini in aluminum foil with some salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, onion, and a pinch of granulated chicken boullion (if you can't find the granulated kind, just get a boullion cube and crunch it up). I double wrap them in the foil and put them on the grill for about 15 minutes (flip them once) and they are SO good !!! You don't have to use your grill to do it, though - you could throw them in the oven instead.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Baby new potatoes are a current favourite of mine!

I boil them, cut them in half. fry them in a tiny bot of olive oil with chopped red pepper and red onion and a little balsamic vinegar.

I know they are still potaotes BUT it's a different take on them!
  • kazcan
    kazcan Posts: 13
    Options
    cherry tomatoes corgettes peppers and onion mushooms in a roasting tin spray with i cal oil and roast in the oven.. Its delisious with most things.. :) and i buy these in bulk to make cheaper and pop in the freezer in portions when reheating in the oven just make sure your veg is spread out so it dosent go watery when reheating from frozen.. Hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family xx
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    We only eat rice about once a week, and that is either wild rice, steamed for stir fry, or Spanish mixed with tomatoes. I usually do 2-3 veggie sides. I almost always include a salad (changing up the ingredients nightly) and a warm veggie. Steamed baby carrots, baby reds, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, green beans, peas, or corn, are my standbys. I buy most of these frozen, for convenience. I also try to cook meals that have a veggie in them, like stir fry or fajitas. I have found some great recipes on Taste of Homes website!
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I totally know where you are coming from. I always keep potatoes on hand and do those roasted once or twice a week. I also LOVE veggies. I buy fresh produce and frozen a lot. The frozen is just so convenient if we are in a hurry.

Salads, frozen veggies and roasted fresh produce are a daily staple with our dinners. Some of my favorite recipes are roasted asparagus, broccoli or eggplant; stuffing bell peppers; corn on the cob, etc.

Something I stumbled onto a while back was this great website....
    http://www.wisebread.com/fresh-fruits-and-vegetables-by-the-month

It actually lists when to purchase fresh produce by the month!!! I LOVE THIS INFORMATION!!! It saves me money easily.
    Like for instance, June is a good time to buy corn. We have corn every week at our house right now. Last month or so ago our local grocery store was having weekly savings on blueberries and raspberries. I only buy these when they are on sale. :laugh:

My husband pulls out the local grocery ad insert on Sunday and we look ahead at what the deals are.
    Two weeks ago the broccoli was really cheap. Sorry, I get excited... I love sales!

Anyways, my point.... I get what is on sale that week or check my website resource... then I try something new. If I'm not really familiar with that veggie, it is a good time to incorporate new recipes.

:happy: