Are You A Pear Or An Apple? (body shape)

Options
13»

Replies

• mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Pear......I have no boobs up top and have larger hips.

Yep - me, too. My sister once told me I had an hourglass figure - just all my sand was in the bottom! :laugh:
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm technically an hourglass, but if I had to choose between the two, I suppose I'd be a pear. I just gain it all in my hips. My stomach and thighs are small.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm more of banana (which according to that book, I believe, falls under the apple category).
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    I used to be a pear but became an apple.

My whole life, I gained and lost all my weight in my legs. If pants fit over my hips, they were usually at least a fist-length too big in the waist. There wasn't a whole lot to me from the belly button up.

Then my metabolism somehow changed and I gained a chest and a gut, with no noticeable change in my legs. I went from hating empire waists to living in them.

Has anyone else experienced this? I often wonder what caused the change, although I'm not sure how much it matters. Was it a change in physical activity (I was a catcher in high school)? Is it something that happens with age (I was mid-20s)? Can medication play a role (I started on the pill not long before that)?
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Banana - Hips and chest measurements close to the same, poorly defined waist even when thin, slender legs. Excess fat goes to my belly first, then upper hips and midsection, then continues up the torso. Not much flab goes to my butt, and I've never had problems with my thighs. Not even cellulite goes there.

http://www.egypt-fashion.com/fashion-tips/are-you-banana-apple-pear-hourglass-or-round

Ooh so that's what I am! I was always confused, thinking I was an apple, despite having a smaller chest. I have a poorly defined waist but a proportional chest and hips, and slender legs. Mini dresses look great on me...the requisite club-wear of tight jeans and tank top make me look waist-less. :(
  • greybhan311
    Options
    Ha! I'd definitely say apple - got the gut and no butt! I have to buy jeans that fit in the stomach/waist, but then they get saggy in the rear/thighs :(
  • greybhan311
    Options
    ETA - whoops, silly me creating a reply post without quoting!
  • greybhan311
    Options
    I used to be a pear but became an apple.

My whole life, I gained and lost all my weight in my legs. If pants fit over my hips, they were usually at least a fist-length too big in the waist. There wasn't a whole lot to me from the belly button up.

Then my metabolism somehow changed and I gained a chest and a gut, with no noticeable change in my legs. I went from hating empire waists to living in them.

Has anyone else experienced this? I often wonder what caused the change, although I'm not sure how much it matters. Was it a change in physical activity (I was a catcher in high school)? Is it something that happens with age (I was mid-20s)? Can medication play a role (I started on the pill not long before that)?

Absolutely - I would almost guarantee you it was hormones that caused the change. Your hormones fluctuate as it is around that age, but the pill will automatically cause a surge of hormones your body isn't used to having to take into consideration, so it freaks out and does all sorts of wonky stuff, including adding weight to the chest (think: mammary glands), hips, and especially the abdomen. It could also be genetic, depending on where you're more likely to store fat. Almost all the women in my family are apples, we've even got butts shaped like them, and not in an appealing way!
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Banana - Hips and chest measurements close to the same, poorly defined waist even when thin, slender legs. Excess fat goes to my belly first, then upper hips and midsection, then continues up the torso. Not much flab goes to my butt, and I've never had problems with my thighs. Not even cellulite goes there.

http://www.egypt-fashion.com/fashion-tips/are-you-banana-apple-pear-hourglass-or-round

Very useful, I typed in my measurements and I'm still an hourglass. I do have a propensity to gain weight (whether it be fat or muscle mass) on my thighs. Never my glutes :-(

I also like their categorization of body type, but it's moreso for fashion and shopping purposes: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-488236/Trinny-Susannah-reveal-12-womens-body-types--you.html
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    pear for me too... always envious of apples with skinny butts and legs!

WOW!!! i'm def an apple and ALWAYS envied pears! skinny butt = no bueno as far as i'm concerned, lol. guess the adage that we want what we don't have is true! any of you pears willing to fedex me some booty, hahaha!
  • BeeOlive
    BeeOlive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think I'm an apple.
  • greybhan311
    Options
    Very useful, I typed in my measurements and I'm still an hourglass. I do have a propensity to gain weight (whether it be fat or muscle mass) on my thighs. Never my glutes :-(

I also like their categorization of body type, but it's moreso for fashion and shopping purposes: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-488236/Trinny-Susannah-reveal-12-womens-body-types--you.html

Fascinating way of classifying body shapes. I was getting so confused for awhile with all these different definitions, especially since I don't fit distinctly into one category, but I think I'm somewhere between an apple and a pear. I don't really have large breasts like apples, but I don't have the slender waist or bottom of a pear. I've got the tummy of an apple, the sculpted calves and ankles of one, but the hips and thighs of a pear. So does that make me a pear-apple? Ap-pear? Hmmm... Now I want some fruit...
  • greybhan311
    Options
    pear for me too... always envious of apples with skinny butts and legs!

WOW!!! i'm def an apple and ALWAYS envied pears! skinny butt = no bueno as far as i'm concerned, lol. guess the adage that we want what we don't have is true! any of you pears willing to fedex me some booty, hahaha!

I'll take some of that as well!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Apple :grumble:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a banapple. Banana almost describes me, except my shoulders are bigger than my hips.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Def. a pear, I realized this after watching Alma on Desperative housewives, she's def. a pear as well.
  • Ohiopugmom
    Ohiopugmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    apple/banana - my butt is so small it is almost concave.....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a pear. I gain weight in my hips, thighs, and lower kangaroo pouch. My shoulders and chest are tiny compared to my lower half.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    pear shape I love it just need to get it tight