Carbs

Options
MrsRadder
MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
How many Carbs should I be eating? I try to keep my fat intake to under 20 grams. And calories from 1200-1300. But I have no idea on how many Carbs I should be taking in. Any insite would be helpful.

Thanks

Replies

• tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    whatever MFP allowed in your food diary I try to stay 100 under what they allow you,,because it seems a bit high.....
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I work on a 30-30-40 ratio......30% fat, 30% carbs and 40% protein for the day.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    it is way high, I try to keep mine aroung 50 or 60g but I am one of those low-carb weirdos, LOL... at maintenance I will shoot for 100 or so :)
  • diaz1224
    diaz1224 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it does seem like the carb allowance is too high, so how much should we have on a 1200 calorie diet>
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why your fat is so low? for a balanced diet fat intake should be 20-30% of total calories which would equate to 27-40 grams for a 1200 calories diet (higher if you eat more) Carbs should be between 45-55%, 135 to 165 grams for a balanced diet, and protein between 15-30% which is between 45 and 90 grams (20-30% if you do strength training).
  • SassyStef
    Options

I lied LOL I just change mine yesterday.........20-40-40 im exercising low carb right now, high protein and fat :)
  • SassyStef
    Options
    it is way high, I try to keep mine aroung 50 or 60g but I am one of those low-carb weirdos, LOL... at maintenance I will shoot for 100 or so :)

Me too and you are not a weirdo :)
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    How many Carbs should I be eating? I try to keep my fat intake to under 20 grams. And calories from 1200-1300. But I have no idea on how many Carbs I should be taking in. Any insite would be helpful.

Thanks

Too loose weight 1200.........30 carbs per 3 main meals and with 2 snack of 15 carbs each. eat every 3 hours.
    men 1800.........just up carbs a bit no more than 50 per main meals.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

This is me too...Except on Off days....then it skews quite a bit because I cut the carbs to less than 75g.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I changed my carbs to 45% it works for me. You need to play with your carb - protien ratio to see what works for you. Only you know how you eat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I had success with the high carb - moderate protein - low fat: 9.6lb in 6 months. Water, body fat, hopefully maintained lean muscle mass. I had to constantly log and count calories. And I was constantly eating because I was always hungry.

However, when I went low carb - moderate protein - high fat I dropped 6.8lb in 6 weeks. Body fat. Carbs come from mostly veggies and nuts/seeds. Very little fruit. Only ate when I was hungry. Was able to stop counting calories and logging food. Impossible to "overeat" as far as calories.

To get low carb: cut out flours and sugars and processed foods

I cut out grains - a choice due to inflammatory and gut issues
    I cut out most dairy - also a choice due to gut issues
    Beans - self-explanatory

My ratio: 10% carbs; 20% protein; 70% fat; This gives me 45g of carbs, 90g of protein and the rest in fat at 1800 calories per day (I'm maintaining). If I decide to drop my calories I will drop the fat down some. I try and maintain the carb and protein % no matter how much I'm eating that day.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Many people believe there is no difference physiologically from 0gms to 100gms, meaning there is no added benefit of eating 50gms of carbs vs 100gms of carbs. I would also add there may be some benefit eating all your carbs in a short window to keep blood sugar/insulin more steady the rest of the day. I prefer to eat mine that way from 3-6pm every evening.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Many people believe there is no difference physiologically from 0gms to 100gms, meaning there is no added benefit of eating 50gms of carbs vs 100gms of carbs. I would also add there may be some benefit eating all your carbs in a short window to keep blood sugar/insulin more steady the rest of the day. I prefer to eat mine that way from 3-6pm every evening.

That's interesting. I usually end up doing this without thinking. At least when I'm under 50g.

To the OP: you can always try dropping them - say under 100g and see how that affects you. And then work your way back up like the Atkins lifestyle does. Each person is different. Under 50g works best for me but I'm sure some people couldn't do this for too long (but be prepared for a few weeks of being tired and having your pee and breath smell due ketosis (this means you're burning fat!). At least if you go under 50g during this time.

You do want to eat more fat though. Your fat stores are precious to your body and it will fight to protect them. You need to give it a reason to "let go". :smile:
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
    I changed my goals to C 25% P 40% G 35%
    All I can do now is wait and see.
    Thanks again!!!