what to do when you stop losing?

Options
SIMA80
SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
Okay, so here is the story. I have been counting calorie intake , using this web, for about month and a half now and have been hitting the gym and did lose over 20lbs., however, for about a week now, I did not lose ANYTHING!!! I am getting so frustrated, because I am eating even healthier and my effort at the gym gone higher and nothing!!! I am worried that my body got used to my routine and so I am stuck, what should I do now? HELP!!!

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Chances are, your body did get used to your routine. You can try by switching up your exercise or zig-zagging your calories. Good luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've actually had to UP my calories to start losing again. I had plateaued, and have also upped the intensity of my workouts.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A week is too soon to get concerned about stuck. lots of things may be effecting your scale loss. Concentrate on the positive differences you are seeing and don't fixate on what the scale says. Next week you will probably see a drop. Good luck.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Okay, so here is the story. I have been counting calorie intake , using this web, for about month and a half now and have been hitting the gym and did lose over 20lbs., however, for about a week now, I did not lose ANYTHING!!! I am getting so frustrated, because I am eating even healthier and my effort at the gym gone higher and nothing!!! I am worried that my body got used to my routine and so I am stuck, what should I do now? HELP!!!

Eat more.

You said you both cut calories and upped exercise, which means your body is probably compensating by lowering your metabolism to conserve energy. Try eating 200-300 more calories a few days in a row and see what happens.

When I plateaued, I had to up my calories by about 600 a day before I started losing again.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It MAY have gotten used to your routine. Our bodies will do that when they need a change. Take a good look at your food diary and see if there is anything in there that can be improved. You can also change the type of exercise you are doing. If you have been doing the same workouts this whole time, your body may have become very efficient at burning the calories you used to expend on it. By doing a more challenging workout, or focusing on a different muscle group, you may kick your metabolism back in to gear. However, there is never ONE answer to why we plateau. In my case, I was stuck at the same weight for 5-6 weeks. I included a small chocolate snack at night, before bed, to get the scale moving downward again. Experiment with new and fun things! You'll figure out what you body is needing that way. :) Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    switch up the types of exercises you are doing, you should be switching things up at a minimum of every 6 weeks. What's awesome about this is that it give you the opportunity to try new things (a different group fitness class, a different activity). I didn't look at your diary, how is your food intake? Are you eating back your exercise calories? Are you eating processed foods versus whole foods? Really look at your diary critically to see how close to nature your food is, the closer the better.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Read the link in my signature, HOW TO BUST THROUGH A PLATEAU...

Second I would say that you need to take a bit of a chill pill... one week with no loss is so totally normal.

Third, you lost 20 POUNDS! thats a ton! so your body is in a bit of a shock, it realized "WHOAH! I am losing weight so fast, I better slow down before I die." so it slowed down, give it another week or two and it will get used to the new 20 pound lighter version and it will start losing again.

But seriously read the link in my signature. Its brilliant and will help you figure out if you are doing anything wrong.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Read the link in my signature, HOW TO BUST THROUGH A PLATEAU...

Seriously. BEST freaking advice on plateaus EVER. It worked for me.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I zig-zag my calories and I've lessened the time I spend at the gym....my trainer told me I was overworking and this week so far I've lost 2.9 lbs! Yay! I also switch my routine up every couple of weeks....even if you just do a different sequence...just keep it fresh and you'll see results. I haven't had a week where I haven't lost weight.
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!