Training for a 5K race?

Options
I've never been interested in running, but there's a race in October called "Run For Your Life," where you navigate a 5K obstacle course while being pursued by zombies. For a nerd like me, this sounds like the most fun a gal could have while exercising :-) I don't really have the money to hire a trainer, so does anyone who's been through it have any advice to share? Any bit of info would be helpful, since the extent of my exercise knowledge is aerobics, walking, and the elliptical :-) Thanks everyone in advance!

Replies

• wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the couch to 5K program to train. Search for it you will find it. IT starts out slow like 8 60 sec runs and builds you up.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program is great - I'm in week 4 (of 9 weeks total) and have noticed a definite improvement in my fitness, and hope to complete it and be able to run 30 minutes straight!
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    OMG! I want to run a zombie race!! that sounds so awesome!!!!!!! I would think the adrenaline of being chased by zombies would probably give you a good time! :D

Hal Higdon has an awesome 5k training plan!
    http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of the Couch 2 5K program and it's great! It's very helpful because it paces you. I'm sure the nerd in you is all excited about running away from zombies :laugh: but you don't want to do too much too soon. Shin splints, pains in your side, injuries and just feeling crappy and giving up can happen when you do too much too soon.
    I seriously ran 20 minutes straight last week - but that was after 5 weeks on the program! You can do it!!!
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the C25K, but I did run my first 5k (ish --- actually, 3.5 mile) race a few weeks ago. While I hear it's a great program, it wasn't for me.

I trained myself up. I started with interval training. I would run 1/4 mile, walk a 1/4. As I progressed I would run more, walk less. I would keep my run speeds as high as I could endure, and would increase speed toward the end of my intervals. I went from a 9:30 mile to a 6:52 mile. I started in August, was able to run 3+ miles by October, logged a 3 mile time of 24:21 in the winter.

So, suggestion: keep up the intervals, increasing running and decreasing walk time until you've almost completely eliminated the walk. Once a week, take a walk/jog for 45 minutes. Each week, try to go a little farther than least week in the same amount of time.

And, finally, many people may disagree, but I recommend recording a mile time at least once a week. it's a short run, but a great measure of your progress and leads to good feelings as you watch that time plummet!

Good luck!
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    That sounds like the funnest motivation to train to run a 5K that I've ever heard of!! I just recently ran my first 5K (last Saturday) after training for 3 months. I didn't do C25K, but I hear it's a fantastically successful program for those of us who are new to running.

I started interval training on a treadmill when I first started. Run 30 secs, walk 1 min, for a total of 30 mins. Then slowly progressed to run 1 min, walk 1 min...pretty soon I decided to see how long I could run before I needed to run and the next thing I knew I was running for 10 mins at a clip. Now, I can run 2 miles very comfortably and have run non-stop as long as 4.5 miles!!

My biggest piece of advice would be to incorporate strength training 2-3 days/week into your training program...building up my muscle endurance helped me to be able to sprint the last .25 mi of my race.

I would also encourage you to set goals...signing up for the zombie race is a huge motivator, but I agree w/ the dreamhazer when she said that consistently recording a mile time will help you track your progress. That's the good thing about starting out on a treadmill, you have those mini-times to work towards (30 secs, 1 min, etc)

Good luck to you! I just signed up for a Dirty Dash 5K next month...similar to your zombie race, add mud and subtract the undead! LOL
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I heard about this race a few months ago. I really want to do it. As all others said.. c25k really is the best way to go.