****** WATER WEIGHT ON WEIGH IN DAY **********

Options
OK I apologize beforehand if I sound stupid as I ask this but I was just wondering. On weigh in day does drinking alot of water like I do on my other days play a role in showing up heavier on the scale?

I weigh in at my program around 5PM. Any advice? Should I consume my regular amount but stop a few hours before I weigh in?

Just curious as to some thoughts. Thanks! =)

Greg

Replies

• sagisun1969
    Options
    Yes, it would play a factor. You should weigh in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after your morning pee.
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    Yes, it would play a factor. You should weigh in first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, after your morning pee.

I dont have a choice on the time. Its a program and I get weighed in at 5PM. My scale at home is all over the place. I dont think its quite accurate.
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Drink freshly brewed green tea. It will help you excrete any excess water retention.
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I agree, you should weigh in first thing in the morning after you evacuate your bladder. I drink tons of water everyday and the night before I weigh in and the only time I retain any of it is when my sodium has been high the day before. With water, the more you drink the more you flush. Good luck.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    yes. you should weigh yourself as soon as you wake up before eating/drinking, and after going to the bathroom
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    Ditto on weighing in first thing in the morning.

I would not stop drinking water before weighing in. Think about what you are trying to accomplish. A certain number on the scale? or a healthier, leaner body? You may want to consider taking measurements, for example a waist measurement, or getting a scale with body fat analysis. That way you're measuring more than just the number on the scale, and it gives you another way to monitor your overall progress.
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I agree, you should weigh in first thing in the morning after you evacuate your bladder. I drink tons of water everyday and the night before I weigh in and the only time I retain any of it is when my sodium has been high the day before. With water, the more you drink the more you flush. Good luck.

So what should I do on weigh in day? Stop drinking around 12PM?
  • Pinkysky412
    Options
    Yes! I used to weigh in at 6PM on Wednesdays. I would not drink anything after lunch and only 1 glass of water at lunch.
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    [So what should I do on weigh in day? Stop drinking around 12PM?
    Probably. As long as you start drinking again after you weigh in, I don't see a problem with this approach.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Amazing how many people only read about half the post before responding...

Maybe don't drink much for about two hours before your weigh-in, but anything before then should be fully processed through your system. Try to "go" right before weigh-in if you can.
  • Devilbettie4
    Options
    You could try calibrating your scale with a dumbell or even a bottle of water, something that the weight is marked on...or just get a new scale:). I usually weigh in first thing in the morning, but last time I got called into work and had to go on my lunch break. My scale at home said I lost 2 pnds, but by the time I had drank water and ate breakfast and my morning snack, I had gained 4 ounces at the weigh in...
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    A 5pm weigh in is a tough one! eek.... who decided that was a good time? Honestly, I think I would be afraid to eat on that day, which doesn't promote healthy weight loss. :(

Anyway... on MFP, go into Settings -> Diary Settings -> Nutrients Tracked. Be sure to have sodium and potassium selected so you can see those values everyday.

Water weight happens when you consume too much sodium, so try to keep that number low. I try to keep mine below 1500mg/day. IF you have a high sodium day, make it a point to up your potassium. This keeps your electrolytes balanced and water retention to a minimum.

I was struggling with this until I listened to Jillian Michaels talk about salt on one of her podcasts. It's a great resource, you can listen to her podcasts here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811

Listen to "Jillian talks salt..." for info on this topic.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, I really don't... but you should buy a decent scale and weigh yourself first thing in the morning. Pick a day mid-week and weigh-in first thing in the morning, no clothes, after a visit to the bathroom. This consistency will give you your most accurate number. Use THAT number to log your weight on MFP, not your program weigh-in number.

Good luck! :)