BEANS!

Options
2»

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You can add them to many of your favorite recipes that you already make, especially crock pot recipes.
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but it is at least vegan. This is the result of one of my many 'thrown together' cooked salads, and is definitely one of the best tasting ones. This is the first time I've written a recipe out, so bear with me. It's really pretty simple to make.

BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH TOFU AND EDAMAME SALAD

Serves approx 1 - 2.

Edamame Soy Beans, 1 cup
    Broccoli, 1 cup
    Low Sodium Soy Sauce, 3 tbsp
    Liquid aminos, 2 tbsp
    Medium Butternut Squash, 1cm cubes
    Firm Tofu, 150g
    Virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp
    Spring onions, 4 chopped
    Mixed leaf salad, 200g
    Sea salt
    Ground black pepper
    Mixed herbs

Cube butternut squash and place on a baking tray. Brush with oil and sprinkle with mixed herbs, sea salt, and black pepper. Cook in oven for approximately 25 minutes on a medium heat. Remove moisture from tofu block using kitchen paper, then slice thinly (maybe 0.5cm) and cut slices diagonally across to form triangles. Place tofu triangles on a non stick tray and place in oven with the butternut squash pieces for approximately 15 minutes, until tofu begins to turn golden brown.

Using a wok or frying pan, stir fry spring onions, broccoli, and edamame together. Add in the soy sauce and liquid aminos, and stir fry for approximately 8 minutes. Add the cooked tofu and butternut squash to the mixture, and stir fry for a further 3 - 5 minutes. Serve on a bed of mixed leaf lettuce or salad leaves of your choosing.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love black beans! If you can find them in your store, try refried black beans:
    http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/01/03/three-reasons-to-rethink-that-diet-coke-youre-about-to-drink/

Delicious in a quesadilla with some cheese, salsa, sauteed peppers...

I don't eat rice as much any more because I am trying to cut carbs, but I used to love Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice mixture. I would make it as directed, but first sautee some onions and bell peppers, and add the rice/bean mixture to that, plus a can of chopped tomatoes and cook that up. Delicious. Sometimes I would add smoked/chicken sausage and it's more like a southwestern paella, you could use a veggie sausage if you are vegetarian.

I also love black bean soup, and many have already posted good recipes for that!
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add...Ole' Mexican Foods Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Tortillas...only 71 calories each with 12 grams of fiber...super soft and oh so yummy! I use these several times a week with beans and a little bit of mozzarella. Add some onion, tomatoes, avocado and salsa...DELISH! And oh so good for you. :smile:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I make an easy "fake out" burrito. Heat equal parts rinsed black beans with corn (fresh, canned or frozen) on the stove top and then add in salsa and chili powder. Roll in a tortilla with a little sour cream and cheese if you want. No rice needed, the flavors are so great.