Low Carb - How many per day?

Options
Triquetra
Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
I have PCOS and am in testing for insulin resistance/diabetes so was told to eat a low carb diet but I have been finding conflicting info on what is considered "low carb". I was told 90-150 carbs a day (from all foods) or no more than 30 carbs a day (from grains)...what do you all do that works???

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Atkins starts with 25 net carbs a day (that would be any carb - fiber count and - sugar alcohols).
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump --- I dont know but would like to read the answers when they reply....
  • shaggy63
    shaggy63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do no more than 50. Of course that is all from veggies and 1 sugar drink a day and no grains. None at all.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I usually stay under a total of 120 carbs per day and i only eat complex carbs
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    PCOS here too, I stick to a 40% carbs- 40% proteins- 20% fats ratio with mainly whole foods. Works well for me and I feel really good and not deprived at all :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Bump....to read the replies later.

I try to stick to around 70-90g of carbs regardless of source but usually 85% are from broccoli, cauliflower or green beans, rare I eat any bread, won't touch pasta and only like fried rice...white, and as its so calories laden and processed i give that a miss too.

Ask whoever told you to do low carb just how low they mean...Atkins is 20g at induction level but I've seen folk on here saying 120g is low carb
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating grains and refined sugars. Minimal processed foods.

All my carbs (ok - about 90%) now come from produce - primarily vegetables. There's also an odd carb here and there from dairy or a condiment. I try to eat one really big salad every day.

I am generally under 50 [net] carbs and NEVER hungry. My diary is open if you want to take a look... (There are a few out of the ordinary days that will be apparent... DON'T follow those. :noway:)
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I stay under 50 g a day total...all from vegs, fruit, nuts, no beans or grains at all... I feel amazing!
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    Low carb/high protein is good, but some of these numbers i'm seeing 20g to 50g is not realistic in a lifestyle, if you do cardio and strength train you need more than that for energy, just eat GOOD Carbs. There are tons of articles from Dr.Mercola on this subject.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Low carb/high protein is good, but some of these numbers i'm seeing 20g to 50g is not realistic in a lifestyle, if you do cardio and strength train you need more than that for energy, just eat GOOD Carbs. There are tons of articles from Dr.Mercola on this subject.

I'm not pushing you to do this, especially since long term it did not work for me. I just want to say that I was doing tons of cardio/strength training at the time with a personal trainer and felt damn good in my body eating very low carb (lots of veggies... ie., low net carbs).

There are a lot of commonalities and documentation on this stuff that i'm not going to negate. But many of us have had unique experiences that make me question that everything is simply right/wrong .. black/white..

Ironically, the personal trainer was not sustainable either. LOL
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For me - getting 50g [net] from produce is completely maintainable. I'll say that if I were to add grains back in - no matter how complex the carb is - I will eat too many of them. Not saying that grains are evil, etc... just that *I* can not include them as a moderate part of my lifestyle.

But many of us have had unique experiences that make me question that everything is simply right/wrong .. black/white..

Ironically, the personal trainer was not sustainable either. LOL
    Ditto, and LOL :laugh:
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

That's your opinion and that's fine but in my own case I can do very low carb (less than 20 grams/day) and still strength train, run, and play singles tennis at the same levels as when I was eating a more traditional higher carb diet. I am 52 and I think I could find a number of much younger tennis players who would agree that I don't lack any energy on the court when I am running them into the ground for 2+ hours. I am not a low carb zealot but I understand the science of it and feel it works well for me. Of course, YMMV.
  • thegoodner
    Options

That's your opinion and that's fine but in my own case I can do very low carb (less than 20 grams/day) and still strength train, run, and play singles tennis at the same levels as when I was eating a more traditional higher carb diet. I am 52 and I think I could find a number of much younger tennis players who would agree that I don't lack any energy on the court when I am running them into the ground for 2+ hours. I am not a low carb zealot but I understand the science of it and feel it works well for me. Of course, YMMV.

hear hear!:drinker: I've never had more energy in my life! Your body will burn fat in the absence of carbs, and it actually prefers to do so. I am burning fat and adding lean muscle like crazy! I think carbs from vegetables, fruits, and nuts count as "good" carbs, and I'm finding it very easy to live my lifestyle this way. My calories are going toward very filling, non-processed/clean foods, that leave me full and happy. I'm not perfect, nor am I a low carb evangelist, but it does work very well for a lot of people. Especially a lot of insulin resistant or PCOS folks like me.
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    I do what works for me (notice my weight loss in 90 days) *wink*
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Spread out your calories evenly on all your foods, I looked at your food diary and seems as though you are set at 1200 cals, not sure if you put that in or if its what MFP gave you. But you should have 400 cals for carbs, 400 cals for protein and 400 cals for fat for the day
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I try to eat below 150 day. I find that a pretty good range to be in. I don't agree with "low carb" but I also don't agree with a sugr laden diet sooooooo that being said...

I eat
    brown rice 1/2 cup serving
    brown rice pasta 1 cup serving
    rice cakes
    fat free plain greek yogurt
    apple butter (instead of jam)

I believe your body needs carbs but complex carbs.
    I am not going to never eat an apple because it has carbs in it. Complex carbs and simple carbs are so different and react totally differently in your body.

Try lowering your simple carbs and eat some complex carbs. See how you feel. Go from there:)
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    I try to eat below 150 day. I find that a pretty good range to be in. I don't agree with "low carb" but I also don't agree with a sugr laden diet sooooooo that being said...

I eat
    brown rice 1/2 cup serving
    brown rice pasta 1 cup serving
    rice cakes
    fat free plain greek yogurt
    apple butter (instead of jam)

AMEM :flowerforyou:

I believe your body needs carbs but complex carbs.
    I am not going to never eat an apple because it has carbs in it. Complex carbs and simple carbs are so different and react totally differently in your body.

Try lowering your simple carbs and eat some complex carbs. See how you feel. Go from there:)
  • thegoodner
    Options
    You guys are forgetting the point of her question...she has IR and PCOS. the point of low Carb with these diagnosis is to reduce insulin response. There is no such thing as a necessary Carb. Complex carbs with IR can be even worse than simple carbs from plant sources because the insulin response is so much higher. Simple Carb= insulin response over a short time. Complex Carb = insulin response over longer time. By lowering insulin response, you can burn pure stored body fat and reduce and even reverse these conditions.

I think its great that your plans are working for you though! I know I'm biased because mine is working for me: )

OP feel free to add me if you are interested! There are a lot of us here treating our IR and PCOS with various low-carb diets.