Da*n good Cooks Wanted - Chopped Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Yellow onion is more like a brown onion. Personally I would prefer a white onion for my recipe. I prefer red onions raw.

I prefer red onion as well raw. I like yellow onion carmelized on steaks and such, not so much raw. But I'm hoping if it's shaved paper thin, it might not be too strong.

I LOVE reading all the recipes. It's so fun - I may have to post TWO secret ingredient baskets a week!!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can't use the onion because I'm trying to get my migraines under control and they're a trigger food for them... Have an idea for everything else though. Hope to make it soon. Fingers crossed that it turns out well. The recipes here already sound yummy!!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I like to cook and I'm good at it but I'm not that creative :) I'm going to follow the thread because I like Chopped, etc. too :flowerforyou:
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Just 'cause I'm having so much fun, here's an optional Secret Ingredient Basket for a weekend challenge:

Oatmeal
    Turkey Bacon
    Egg Substitute (Egg whites, Egg Beaters, etc)
    Asparagus

<blink blink> Wow.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Just 'cause I'm having so much fun, here's an optional Secret Ingredient Basket for a weekend challenge:

Oatmeal
    Turkey Bacon
    Asparagus

<blink blink> Wow.

Very interesting mix...will have to think about this one.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read what everyone has created.
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Savory Bacon-Asparagus-Oatmeal Cakes

Oatmeal
    Turkey Bacon
    Asparagus

Make the oatmeal (hopefully steel-cut oats) with chicken broth instead of water, using about 1 TBSP less than the recipe calls for. Remove from heat and let cool while doing the next step. In a separate pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon, dice and saute asparagus, 1/4 chopped onion, 1 clove garlic, and grill seasoning. Add bacon and asparagus to onion, saute another couple of minutes. Remove all from pan. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and bring to medium high heat.

Add all ingredients to oatmeal and stir to combine. Add in 1/4 - 1/3 cup egg whites. Use an ice cream scoop, shape mixture into patties. If they are too wet, add in a handful of whole wheat bread crumbs. Working 2-3 at a time, depending on your pan, pan-fry the oatmeal cakes in the olive oil, turning once. Cook through - about 3 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the cake. Serve immediately. Top with mango salsa, greek yogurt, or light sour cream.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Secret Ingredient Basket Number 1:

-Boneless, skinless chicken breast
    -Blueberries
    -Yellow Onion
    -Almonds

This may not the most original recipe, but I made a very yummy Chicken Salad this weekend:
    4 oz. cold pre-cooked chicken, cubed
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup chopped almonds
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    sea salt to taste

Mix the yogurt & 1/3 cup blueberries in a blender until sauce consistency. Mix this sauce with the chicken, almonds and remainder of blueberries. Finish with sea salt to taste (this was key to marry the flavors!). Serve on a salad or with your favorite high fiber bread. Really yummy chicken salad without mayo.

*Just a note that I couldn't use the onion because they trigger migraines for me. However, I bet a small amount of sliced onion would be great in this.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm totally in for this week!
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Alrighty - we've had 1 Secret Basket and one bonus basket.

Here is our Secret Ingredient Basket Number 2, ready for your culinary wizardry:

Cabbage
    Canned, diced tomatoes
    Tilapia
    Greek yogurt

Good Luck!
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Oh I've already got a recipe for this because I make it all the time!
    Baja Fish Tacos (amount of ingredients varies- I'm not good at measuring haha)

Tilapia filets
    Diced tomatoes
    Avocado (peeled and diced)
    Cabbage (shredded)
    Broccoli slaw
    greek yogurt
    lemon juice
    garlic powder
    cumin
    salt
    pepper
    southwest seasoning (can use taco seasoning, I use a southwest fajita seasoning from Whole Foods)
    Corn tortillas

Cook tilapia in a pan, season and shred once finished
    In a small bowl, combine greek yogurt, lemon juice and garlic powder, set aside
    In another bowl, combine cabbage and broccoli slaw- toss with yogurt sauce
    Rinse and drain diced tomatoes, combine with diced avocado and cumin/salt/pepper to taste

Stuff fish, slaw and avocado salsa in tortillas and EAT! :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    Oh I've already got a recipe for this because I make it all the time!
    Baja Fish Tacos (amount of ingredients varies- I'm not good at measuring haha)

Mmm... and darn! That's where my head went was to make tacos! LOL Okay, so instead:

If Chicken Parm met Asia and Had Potato-Babies Recipe
    - Clean 2-3 starchy potatoes, skin, and dice large. Drop into a pot of boiling water, boil until tender.
    - Meanwhile, put about 1/2 cup shelled pistachios in a food processor. Pulse to make a fine crumb. Dump pistachios in a shallow dish. Add 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs. Season with pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and onion powder. Clean the tilapia, pat dry. Dredge in whole wheat flour, dip in egg whites, then put in pistachio mixture. Coat evenly.
    - In a saucepan, heat about 2 TBSP olive oil. Gently lay fillets in, turning only once until fish flakes. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels. Wipe out pan with paper towel. Empty can of tomatoes into saute pan, keep on medium heat. Add oregano, garlic powder, onion powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
    - Drain the potatoes, then return to the hot pot. Add 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt, salt and pepper to taste, mash.
    - In another sauce pan, add 1 TBSP canola oil and heat. Slice cabbage thin (think cole slaw thickness). Add cabbage to hot oil, turning frequently with tongs. In a small bowl, combine 2 TBSP white wine vinegar, 2 tsp soy sauce, a grind of black pepper, and 1 TBSP honey. Dump this vinegar mix on top of just-wilted cabbage, toss to coat and remove from heat.

To plate: Use a scoop of the mashed potatoes as the base. Nestle a mound of hot slaw next to the potatoes. Perch the tilapia fillet across both. Drizzle with tomato sauce (it's also delicious in the mash). Enjoy!
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    wow i'm loving this thread. Cristina those tacos sound awesome! (actually everything does so far!)
  • MochaMixAZ
    Options
    What happened to all our amazing cooks and recipes??! Come on back and post, post, post!!!

We have 2 Baskets in play, and one bonus basket. Let's see whatcha got!!!