got the flu, lost some pounds

Options
But should I expect them to come back? I've been sick for the past 5 days, and been reaching my calorie goal every day, yet I've already lost 5 pounds. Should I expect those to pile back on once this flu goes away? Is it just water that's been lost?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this situation. Thanks!

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i was actually sick for 2 weeks, the first week was a cold and then the second week i had a stomach virus...i ended up losing 10 pounds due to the not being able to eat, but i gained 5 back. the other 5 miraculously stayed off. Its been like 3 months since then too
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you've been watching your calorie intake you can probably expect most of it to stay off. Hope you get back to 100% soon!
  • katrina1122
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 32 hours due to food poisoing, oh the memories, lol. I wasn't on mfp yet when I got better, but was starting to track my food. I gained 13 of it back, the other came and went until I started mfp and was on a daily plan.

I'd bet you'll gain some, but not all back, but if you do, don't worry, it'll come off again via your eating habits.
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for all of your help! I hope most of it stays off due to the fact I'm sure my stomach has shrunk somewhat. Still not hungry, I have to make myself eat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Some of it is likely water loss due to dehydration but you might be able to keep most, if not all of it off since you're still eating your calories.

Losing weight from the flu is actually how I started my weight loss journey. Lost 10 pounds in a week and managed to keep 5 of it off (it was the holidays, there were treats, I caved) before I officially joined Weight Watchers a few months later.