Ok, what is HAPPENING to me?!

Options
I have just been for a 5.5K run and when I got home I had swelled up like the Incredible Hulk. Not only is my ring stuck on but my Pandora bracelet is cutting into my arm (its one of the "loose" leather ones) and my face is so big that I cant get my eyes all the way open. Oh yeah and when I poke my skin with my nail the indentation stays there. This. Is. Not. Normal.

I have made the conscious effort to fill my water bottle up 4 times today so I don't think I'm dehydrated.

Does anybody has similar symptoms when they exercise? I don't want to give up running but I'm not particularly enjoying looking like the Elephant Man.

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Chloe.xx

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're allergic to something you ran through... i'd try taking some benadryl
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd call a doctor. Maybe you got stung by a bee or something and are having a bad allergic reaction!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Call a doctor, I agree it could be an allergic reaction.
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You might want to call your doctor, something sounds as if it's going on with your body. Hope it gets better, take care..
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    ughhh doesn't sound good. If you have shortness of breath or anything seek medical attention fast.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I agree - that definitely doesn't sound normal, and I'd get it checked out as soon as possible.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Normally swelling (aka edema) would happen when your heart isn't working properly. Before I scare you though, you should have seen symptoms long before this, assuming you've been working up to this 5K. Even normal healthy people can have some swelling in their hands/feet when they exercise, esp. if it's hot. This sounds like it's a total "out of nowhere" thing for you though. I would recommend calling your doctor. If you have high blood pressure normally, you may want to make sure you see someone (doc or urgent care) today, while you're experiencing the swelling. Whatever the reason is, you have a LOT of fluid in your tissues and you're right, that's definitely NOT normal. :frown:
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep. Definitely the characteristics of an allergic reaction. Benadryl stat and possibly a doc if that doesn't help.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    That doesn't sound normal at all - I agree with everyone else - you need to see a doctor.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is a severe allergic reaction. You need a doctor right away.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    i'm with most everyone else; sounds like an allergy thing. Take a benedryl and call your doctor to see what s/he thinks.
  • lindsey_s
    lindsey_s Posts: 1
    Options
    You might have something called "exercise induced urticaria". It's basically an allergic reaction to exercise. Try taking an antihistamine before you work out next time. You should see a doctor if the symptoms persist and/or you start to develop shortness of breath.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It sounds like pitting edema. See your doctor.
  • JezebelGL
    JezebelGL Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Take some benadryl, and get to an MD, if it is an allergic reaction, ask for a script for an epi-pen.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i'm a nurse, that is bad. call the dr asap or go to the ER. seriously, take care of yourself!
  • 20chloe09
    20chloe09 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It has calmed down a bit now that I've been home for half an hour and showered etc but my ring is still nicely embedded in my giant sausage fingers!

I will go and see what my doctor thinks tomorrow though - I have goals! I want to keep running!

I should tell you that this also happens when I run on the treadmill so I don't think I'm allergic to anything outside, however, if I could solve this by taking benadryl I would be really happy!

Thanks again.xx
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you cannot see your doctor today, take photos of the swelling and especially of the indents (or pits) left when you apply pressure to your skin. Have them check for edema (or pitting edema). Edema is the build up of excess fluids under your skin. It is usually caused by some sort of problem with your heart, liver or kidney. If this IS pitted edema... do not take it lightly and have it checked out immediately. If it is not edema, then at least you will have been seen by your doctor and you can rest a little bit easier. The bottom line is that this is NOT normal.