Depression and Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    For me, knowing I have depression and anxiety, and knowing how easily I can slip into bad habits, makes me realize I have to work harder than most people. I've been in dark places, and fought really hard to pull myself out of them, and don't want to go back. I look at eating well, exercising, and thinking positively as part of my prescription regimen. It's something I know I HAVE TO do, like taking my meds or wearing my contacts.

If I don't wear my contacts or glasses, I can't see clearly. I bump into things. I'm a danger to myself and others. And if I don't take extra efforts for my physical and emotional health, the same thing holds true. I don't see the world clearly.

It gets easier. It's an uphill struggle at first. Then you start to enjoy it. The struggle becomes a personal challenge, and every day you did more than you did before is a victory. Then you start looking for new ways to push yourself further.

You got this.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    I've had issues with depression in the past, but have basically gotten them under control. My depression issues had external causes, though....problems in my life were making me depressed. I have no experience with depression caused due to some sort of chemical imbalance or anything similar. Basically, drugs (prozac) didnt work for me...I had to change my life.

I dont know what your situation is, so I dont mean this to be judgmental in any way so please dont take it that way. But what helped me was to, basically, stop being lazy. I made a conscious choice to identify problems in my life, find which ones I could fix and focus on those...the ones I couldnt fix, I stopped worrying about them. I made a conscious choice to get out of bed even when I didnt feel like it, for example.

Took me several years, but I'm a pretty happy guy now. What I found was, as I started forcing myself into doing these things they became routine. I didnt have to force myself to do them anymore, I just did them. Getting out of bed wasnt a problem. Going to work wasnt a problem. I decided I wanted to be happy, and made a conscious effort to BE HAPPY. I know that sounds silly, and maybe even condescending. I really do not mean it to be that way, I understand how hard depression is. It really changed my perspective on how I saw things, which, even if it took some time, allowed me to change my life.

Like I said, this may mean nothing to you. I dont know if our situations are similar or not. You should certainly speak to your doctor if you have not done so. But also keep in mind, we all have to motivate ourselves to be who and what we want to be. Try to focus on the positives rather than dwell on the negatives.

And oh yes....exercise can REALLY help, in my experience.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Look up the benefits of fish oil, and then I recommend that you go out and purchase some fish oil tablets!

1 gram per day (usually about 3 pills or so, depending on the dosage)

Dude!!!! I just looked it up...WTH....helps depression, weight loss, soreness after exercise, stabilizes mood. Well crap...thanks..I need to go get some. Wonder what kind is good?

Wow, honestly I did not think anyone would take me seriously. Normally I would go into FULL detail right in the post but I figured nobody would pay me any attention so I just threw in my two cents and left. I probably wasn't going to return back to it.

My friends and I all take fish oil, I was skeptical at first because I was like "this sounds stupid..." Brand does not matter, it just depends on how much you're getting into your system. It's recommended that you take 1 gram per day. So when looking at the label, you’re mainly paying attention to the EPA dosage. Currently, I’m taking GNC’s Triple Strength fish oil… which is just a higher dosage, I still have to take 2/day to meet the 1g. And by the way, those studies on depression are very true. It does help and makes you feel “better” in a way… hard to describe.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/82042-recommended-fish-oil-dosages/
    ^^ This link will help shed light on dosage an general information.

Some brands are cheaper (in cost) than others and that’s what I would recommend. The one from GNC that I just bought ran me a little too much money for me to be comfortable with. I’m glad you did as I requested and did some research into it! Please let me know if you have any other questions!!

I've been thinking about getting some this weekend actually, this is another reason to do so.
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Depressed people fear the L word. What she describes is not laziness.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! Lol I constantly question myself "am I just lazy" but then I realize I can't even do stuff I used to enjoy.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your input and advice. I really appreciate all of it and will definitely be scheduling some type of exercise EVERY DAY for myself! Even if I have to quit early I will at least try every single day and make it into a habit. I'm still brainstorming on what type of rewards I will use but I am considering that sticker suggestion! It does sound childish but I'm a kid at heart and I think it would help motivate me. I know some big diet programs do that type of gold star sticker motivation too. Hehe
    Honestly I did not expect such wonderful support and understanding and I'm so glad to know there are other people who 'get' what I am going through. :) You all are the best.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

yup, depressed people beat themselves up more mentally than anyone else ever could for not being able to get up and do the things they need to. it is a terrible thing to experience and when it is caused by a chemical imbalance like bipolar it is not within your ability to fix it without help.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was thrilled to see so much support and understanding for you because I have been you and it means so much for someone to listen and not try to "fix" you. Good luck and I hope to see wonderful things for and from you in the future!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I totally get you. I've dealt with depression literally my entire life, and so I've always struggled with motivation. Since I've dealt with it for as long as I can remember, I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not just being lazy, and that it's really the depression. I can share some things that have helped me, and maybe they can help you too.

B complex is a lifesaver. Try to get it in liquid form, because the caplets can taste gross. Vitamin D is also a good one. Through the winter I take 4000 IU daily, and in the summer I drop it down to 2000 IU. Both of those have helped me indescribably.

Exercise. I know you're saying it's hard to get up the motivation, and believe me, I hear you. What helps me is to set the timer. If it's a really bad day, just set it for 5 minutes, and get up and do SOMETHING for 5 minutes -- do some jumping jacks, dance to music, or if you really can't get up the gumption, clean off the kitchen counter. Something productive that gets you moving and gives you a feeling of accomplishment. The deal is that you have to keep moving until the timer goes off, but once it goes off, you can stop if you want to. Or, you can keep going if you want to. Your choice. The kitchen timer is your FRIEND. I use it for everything -- cleaning, managing my computer time, exercise, whatever. Part of depression is that you lose a sense of time, and the timer will help you jump that hurdle. If you don't have one, get one. They're cheap. :)

Make sure you're getting enough sleep -- but not too much. If your depression brings insomnia with it, try an herbal sleep remedy. Hyland's makes a tablet (creatively named "Insomnia") that works wonders for me, or you can try calms forte. Chamomile tea with milk and sugar right before bedtime can help too. Don't do something like Sominex unless you absolutely have to, because they can make you feel groggy in the morning. But if you're like me and your depression makes you want to sleep all day, don't let yourself do it. Go to bed at a reasonable hour, and set your alarm for no more than 9 hours from bedtime. Get up when it goes off. As soon as possible, go shower and get dressed, and do your hair and makeup or whatever you need to do to make yourself feel attractive. Don't give into the temptation to slouch around in PJ's -- that just makes you feel worse. Spend the time to take care of yourself. It's not time wasted. It's time well-spent. You're worth it.

And make sure that you're eating a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat. I understand what you're saying about not having the energy to cook, and that's fine that you're trying to eat healthy, fast meals. But make sure to keep some fresh fruits and veggies on hand, and make sure to try to keep your protein numbers up. Protein will give you better energy without the carb crash. You still do need carbs, but make sure you're getting enough protein too. Depression saps your energy, as you know, so you need all the help you can get keeping your energy level up.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options

yup, depressed people beat themselves up more mentally than anyone else ever could for not being able to get up and do the things they need to. it is a terrible thing to experience and when it is caused by a chemical imbalance like bipolar it is not within your ability to fix it without help.

This. It is NOT laziness. OP is super brave to post this topic. People who wrongfully think depression is laziness need to keep that opinion to themselves. Let's be supportive.
  • mrdalton
    mrdalton Posts: 97
    Options
    Im not going to tell you when or how to exercise - I dont know what is best. I do know it really helps me though. I have suffered depression for twelve years and just recently discovered I am bipolar. What I can tell you is not to give up hope. I was miserable and hopeless and unable to get out bed or hold a job for years. You are not lazy. You are depressed. And that is ok. It is not your fault. Dont give up. I heard that on average it takes ten years to discover the perfect medicine combination. Ten years. Be patient and dont give up. You will be ok. And if you happen to get up and take a walk - even better. I take in to consideration I am dealing with more then the average lady and try not to be too hard on myself if I mess up one or two days. I am heading in the right direction and trying - and I deserve a ton of credit for my efforts. I know what it is like to not be able to brush your teeth. Some days it is just too much. But if you do take a walk - you deserve a reward. Be nice to yourself. I just want you to know you are not alone. Chin up. You can do this! I believe in you. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your input and advice. I really appreciate all of it and will definitely be scheduling some type of exercise EVERY DAY for myself! Even if I have to quit early I will at least try every single day and make it into a habit. I'm still brainstorming on what type of rewards I will use but I am considering that sticker suggestion! It does sound childish but I'm a kid at heart and I think it would help motivate me. I know some big diet programs do that type of gold star sticker motivation too. Hehe
    Honestly I did not expect such wonderful support and understanding and I'm so glad to know there are other people who 'get' what I am going through. :) You all are the best.

I though about it because it would totally work for me! I'm 33 and totally nastalgic, I'd probably buy strawberry short cake, she-ra, or care bears. Even as I wrote it I saw it on the fridge, right there where I'd see it every time I opened the door, something happy and silly just to make me smile. I even saw the calendar, it was places that I'd want to see in person. If you do it, make your own calendar on snapfish or winkflash or something and have the pictures be something that you want, something that will remind you why you're getting out of bed, why you're pushing through the hurt (emotional and physical). You are going to be awesome.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i've been there. honestly, just going out and starting slow was what worked for me. a 10 minute walk. then 15, 20, etc. i found that i felt so much better after that i wanted to keep going most of the time.

hang in there! most people have covered what i was going to say :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've lived with depression and anxiety disorder for all of my life and played musical medications literally for years until we found a combination that handled the majority of my symptoms and was unlikely to keep the weight on. I say the majority as I still deal with anxiety and phobias, sometimes on a daily basis.

You've been given a lot of good suggestions here. Like you, I couldn't face a group class as I have a lot of trouble with groups of people, so doing things at home, even starting really small is the great idea. Anything that gets you moving.

One of the things I've started doing, but haven't been logging is dancing. I don't know if it would work for you but for me music is very soothing and distracting to my 'moods'.

And... I've been doing the sticker thing as well. I guess I'm a big kid at heart but I like it as a means of marking successes no matter how small.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Please also schedule rest days. Exercise every day of the week (unless it is very light exercise) can actually hinder your progress. Take one day off a week to 'take it easy'. :smile:
    PS. I love sticker charts. As long back as I can remember, my mom would make us kids 'star charts' and put shining gold and silver stars into little grid boxes as we did our chores, scored well on tests, or went bathroom on the toilet :laugh: I still make myself star charts to encourage myself today :happy:
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options

This. It is NOT laziness. OP is super brave to post this topic. People who wrongfully think depression is laziness need to keep that opinion to themselves. Let's be supportive.

I was being supportive. Sometimes I question whether or not people actually read what others say. I shared with her my own experiences with depression, which led to me being homeless, friendless, and bankrupt before 30. It was a very difficult time for me, and a very difficult issue for me to overcome. I thought that's what she was looking for, and I thought I was pretty clear in explaining that I understood my situation may be different from hers.

Some people DO need to keep their opinions to themselves, I think...but I really dont think it's me here. I'll remember not to share painful personal experiences to try to support others on this site again. In summary, shove it.
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    Hello my new friends! After reading each post here I want to be friends with each one of you! I feel like I'm home!

Awesome support shown for OP but helps each one of us when we can share topics like this. I was looking for a topic about TV addiction but really I should be looking for depression support... I think I found it!

I too suffer from depression and can totally sit and watch TV and be on the computer at the same time for hours, if not days.
    There's plenty of stuff around me that could use my attention but I find ignoring it day after day doesn't seem to come with any immediate negative consequences so… I justify that TV is educational. That when not, I deserve entertainment. If I still make it to the gym each day then it must be ok to just sit and watch TV the rest of the time.

I realize this is not healthy thinking but isn’t that depression in itself. Without the hassle and cost of finding a therapist in this little town how can I conquer this and start to change my habits and life? And FYI- I won’t medicate so that’s not an option for me either.

I do work during the school year, have been going to a gym off and on. As of Saturday going to gym everyday for 2 weeks then off on a vacation. Seems the only thing that amps up my energy is knowing I will be with one or both of my young adult kids. I fly into a frenzy when I get to go visit them or they are coming home. Then I crash again when it's over.

Thankfully, or not, my husband doesn't complain... or understand. He just goes on with life no matter what I'm doing.

After reading these posts I'm sticking to my gym plan, starting back with my vitamins including fish oil and complex B and increasing my sleep to 7-8 hrs per night.

All easier said than done! Please friend me and let's help each other get healthier and enjoy life more.

Thanks to all!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. What works best for me is going to a class like a lot of people said.
    If I say Im going to go for a walk, or even jsut play Wii, Ill never get around to it on my time. But if it something scheduled, I will show up.
    It can be really nerve racking to walk into a class for the first time. You never know what to excpet, will I be the biggest one there? Can I keep up? All that stuff. But I have never felt unwelcome in anything I have tried. And I find once I get going, I dont want to stop because I dont want to be the fat girl that couldnt finish.
    You can even go to just watch the first time and check out the atmosphere.
    Give it a try, you can do it!
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    wanted to add...

I switched to Anytime Fitness from a locally owned gym that just wasn't doing it for me. I love Anytime Fitness... there are people of all ages, shapes, weights, endurance levels, clothing styles, etc. All makes it easier for me to go there.

Mostly each person is quiet, into their own workout so I don't feel pressure to be social. The owner is friendly just enough and encouraging just enough. I highly recommend your local Anytime Fitness as an option to at least try. I did also go to one in my kids town.... same environment there. With membership you can go to any of them if you travel for work or pleasure.

Best wishes to you all!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do understand depression. I know how hard it can be to get out of bed, let alone do anything else in a day.

One thing that MAY help is to celebrate each little thing. You got out of bed? It's a victory. You brushed your hair? Another one. Teeth? Yet another. You get the idea. Just realizing that you did those things - that you were able to get out of bed and FUNCTION - means that you are winning over your illness for that moment in time. It really is a moment by moment thing.

Are you in treatment / on any kind of medication? A lot of people resist the idea of meds for depression, but it really might be something to consider if you haven't already.

Thank you for the advice. :) It's hard to remember to congratulate myself for those things when I know other people can do them so easily, but I will try to give myself more credit.
    I am on medication now but it's a process of getting the right ones and doses I guess. My meds were recently switched around a bit and a new one was added so I am in adjustment between being totally emotionally cut off and actually feeling things. Hehe I'm just hoping things will get easier when this medication starts really working at a therapeutic dose.

I have done the "find the right med" thing and it sucks. Once you hit the right one, though...and once it has been in your system to take effect...it does get better. You know it's not a cure-all but it should help level you out enough that you can start functioning again.

Do focus on giving yourself credit. You know that depression isn't just a mood that may change; it's a medical condition that you're in treatment for. It's not an excuse for not doing things, but it's something that makes little things - like getting out of bed, or cleaning, or ANYTHING - really hard. So when you DO those "little things", they become big things - and big victories. :)