I Want Pizza!!!

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
But it's totally out of the budget for calories and carbs. Anyone have any good homemade pizza recipes that are a little better for you????

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    The main culprit is the pizza dough. Try and make your own dough with whole wheat or something..most places do sell it ready made. As far as a sauce..I usually start with crushed tomatoes..garlic, italian seasonings...and a bit of sugar if its too sour..but could probably use stevia..havent tried it with stevia...

The toppings..whatever is in your eating plan...
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My friend uses that Naan bread to make pizza :)
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Try a whole grain/whole wheat english muffin with sauce, cheese, toppings and seasonings. It'll give you the pizza fix and it's yummy too! There are plenty of low cal/low carb breads out there you can use as dough. Just use your imagination. Also, get on allrecipes.com and type in pizza. See what comes up.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    Did you see the post yesterday where they use pita or flat out (similar to tortillas) for crust? Cuts out alot of calories.
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i think lean cuisine pizza is reallly good actually, yes its processed foods but it deff fits in calorie wise. obviously, dont eat it every other day but once or twice a week wouldnt hurt.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl did a whole show on healthier pizza options. I bet they are all on her website with pictures.

try hungrygirl.com.

Enjoy!
  • mkw122680
    mkw122680 Posts: 33
    Options
    I've used whole grain flatbread wraps to make pizza, used the hunts tomato sauce (the small can) with no salt added, fat free mozzarella cheese and turkey pepperoni. It tastes pretty good and keeps me from eating regular pizza. I've also had pizza muffins with the whole wheat or whole grain english muffins. Both are pretty good :)
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Fast and takes care of the crave-
    Low calorie high fiber English Muffin, split and toasted
    Tomato slice, or chopped tomato
    Diced or sliced Black Olives
    A sprinkle of Basil and/or Oregano
    A sprinkle of low-fat skim Mozzerella Cheese
    Heat in microwave til cheese is melted.

It's not enough of anything to make me feel guilty :smile:
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Use a whole grain pita or wrap as the crust, put your sauce on, veggies and low fat cheese. Stick it in the oven at around 350 for 8-10 minutes.. DELISH!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Going to send you a recipe a friend just sent me :) Sharing some love(pizza)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make homemade pizza all the time. I use turkey pepperoni & lots of veggies.

As a previous poster said - pizza crust can be a huge calorie factor.

Fleischmann's makes a yeast just for pizza dough - it's one step and it's easy. http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I use eggplant rounds for the crust. Grill them first so they're pretty chewy.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Pizza is for cheat days, way too many calores for a regular day for me!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, it's worth it to make it fit. Yay for exercise calories!
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I posted my recipe for pizza on a taco shell. I put onions & tomato slices on it so it pretty low cal. Its really nice since you can make each on topped differently so my kids get pepperoni & i get vegis. Sometimes I thinly slice fresh jalapenos for this recipe too. YUM!!!

If you can't find the recipe: on a soft taco shell use pizza or speghetti sauce, low fat cheese, top with vegis (if you sweat them with non stick spray and garlic powder the taste is even better) cooks in about 10 min.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i use mission carb balance flour tortillas medium soft taco for the crust just pop it in the broiler to get it crunchy the topping are all up to you & its only 120 cal 3.5 fat 7carbs ENJOY:)
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    I make my own tomato sauce which is super easy and use whole wheat pita bread for the crust or a flatout bread! You can also use olive oil as the sauce!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There's a mini pizza I had today that's less than 300 :) stick with thin base pizzas and shove loads of veggies on! Don't order in - either supermarket/grocery store bought, or make your own. Not sure if the bases are less cals when you make them yourselfs though?