Adding a mid day cardio workout

mixtapemusings
mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I'm lucky enough to work for a company that provides an in house gym for employees. Normally, I don't use it. I take public transportation and if I stay after work to use it, I'll never get home. My usual routine is that I go home after work and workout there either doing an intense DVD or jogging in the park by my house.

I haven't been seeing results lately and am getting frustrated. In the past few months I've only lost 5 lbs. I'm eating perfect during the week but on the weekends I am so busy I forget to log. I workout on the weekends but can only assume I'm going over calories. I vow to start logging on the weekends now.

Anyways, I'm thinking about bringing my workout clothes and getting in a 30 minute elliptical workout on my lunch break. I get a 45 minute lunch so I figure a couple minutes to change before and after, 30 minute workout and I can eat lunch at my desk at some point.

In addition to this, I would CONTINUE to do my regular 45-60 minute workout after work that I do every day.

Is this overkill or too ambitious? I tend to be really ambitious with lofty goals that I can never attain. This time I thought I'd ask for advice.

What say you all?

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    sounds good!!! weight loss happens very slowly for some people, took me a year to get 24.3 lbs off... I went up and down with my weight the whole year, it just happens, dont give up!
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    I think it sounds entirely reasonable. Kicks up the effort a little and makes your body work that much harder. Changes things up. Perhaps your body was just accustomed to your usual routine? Who knows...

I say go for it for a few weeks and re-evaluate! :-)
  • Sounds great! But I don't think I'd encourage eating at your desk. There's quite a bit of research that links eating while you're distracted to less satisfaction because you're not REALLY paying attention to what you're eating so your brain isn't releasing very many satisfying chemicals.
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    sounds good I work out on my lunch break and then I go walking after work
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I think it sounds like an excellent plan!

I'm going to add in more exercise also. Starting today! :happy:
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    I often do a 30 - 45 minute workout in the morning and then 20 - 30 minutes in the afternoon. If you get bored with elliptical, fitness magazine often has some great 30 minute treadmill interval workouts in their magazine. Back when I worked in the corporate world (I'm a freelancer now) I used to do them on my lunch break. They really help you keep from getting bored and go by fast.
  • mixtapemusings
    Thanks! I will do it and re-evaluate. BTW I followed you on Tumblr. Saw you post in another thread.
  • mixtapemusings
    Apparently I don't know how to 'quote' someone in a thread. I'm still learning!! Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. Tomorrow I'll start my new mid-day workouts. :)
  • janeneleigh
    janeneleigh Posts: 1 Member
    Hi ...My advice is to listen to your body. If you're feeling full of energy and looking forward to the extra lunch-time workout , then go for it.If you're tired...don't. Build it up slowly too ...perhaps start with 2 lunchtime workouts in your first week ....slowly build it up. If you go too hard too quickly you risk increased hunger...tiredness...and potentially getting "run down" and picking up a cold or flu.
    May the Force be with you :-)
    Janene .
    Personal Trainer .
This discussion has been closed.