Starvation Mode

Options
So, before finding this site, I was just eating foods that I knew were super healthy and that did not require a ton of guesswork. I have been coming up way short on calories, in the 800-1200 range. My weight loss has slowed and I believe my body may have went into starvation mode.

How long of eating the proper calories (MFP says I need 1860) will it take for my body to switch back?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It really varies from person to person. Just be expecting to see some gains first :/
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just try to stay above the 1500 for men. Even if you have to eat back some of your exercise calories. That usually does the trick and you should start losing again. 800-1200 is really low for men, especially if you are active which may be why MFP's recommendation was so much higher.

Remember to get in your Protein, Fiber and Water, you need all 3 plus your exercise. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible, the sodium can really be high.

Keep us posted on your progress!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    sometimes it helps to talk to a doctor about these things and get your thyroid checked out-most people online dont actually know jack ****...they just claim to know by reading articles....but then again i guess some doctors dont know much either lol
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I struggled a LOT w/ getting out of starvation mode.

Here's what I did that helped.
    I cut my current work outs in 1/2. I was pushing myself so hard that I was netting about 600 calories/day.

I made sure I ate AT LEAST 1200 Calories NET per day (for men, it should be more).

After creating a pattern of eating enough over 1 month (with complete accountability from friends and family to make sure I ate AT LEAST 1200 NET/day), my body was in a much better place. Slowly I've added in more working out and the weight has once again slowly started to peel off.
    Good luck!