"Too much" cardio?

Options
Elzecat
Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
Just looking for your thoughts, as a group of people who are trying to get/stay fit. What I've been doing seems to be working for me right now, but just curious about something--one of the trainers at my gym said I do "too much" cardio...I have actually really scaled back on my cardio so I'm not sure why he keeps telling me this (every time I've asked a question, he also keeps telling me that he can "help" me more if I were to pay for personal training sessions...but I can't afford it and I don't like his attitude, seeing as I already pay for a gym membership... however, I do like everything else about my gym.)

A little background: I am 41, 5'8, about 164, and looking to drop another 10 lbs or so, or at least just drop to a lower body fat percentage (because of differing information from people at my gym, I need to get this re-tested somewhere else--I think I am at 25% right now and started out at like 29 or 30% in )...I have lost 35 pounds in the past 4 months by working out and improving my eating habits and portion sizes. I have been doing run/walk intervals since February and have greatly improved my stamina, time and distance. I recently registered for a half marathon in October and I am really excited about it.

I currently do strength training 2 times a week, I run 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes (have just recently started doing a slightly longer run on Sundays with my half marathon training), do zumba and spin class when I can fit it in, usually take 2 rest days or just do short walks on those days...

The fitness classes I take are 60 minutes long, including a warm up and cool down period...otherwise my cardio is 30-45 minutes tops. Not sure why the gym manager runs 60 minute classes if he thinks that people should do 30 minutes cardio tops, but I'm more curious if there is actual scientific research that shows that cardio beyond 30 minutes is harmful?

Opinions are welcome, or you can private message me :)

Thanks!

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you, but I am curious as to what others say.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too. ☼
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what people are going to say about this. I do at least 60 minutes cardio 6 days a week.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    sounds to me like he just wants your money! As long as you are healthy, eating sufficient calories to support that much cardio, and not exceeding your target heart rate...I'm not a doc, but I'd think you are fine.
  • pearlsgonewild
    pearlsgonewild Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At my gym all the zumba and spinning classes are 55 minutes, so I can't see how over 30 minutes is harmful either. If what you're doing is working, I think you should keep doing it.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Funny, my "trainer" at the gym (who also offered to help more with payment!) told me to do 60 minutes of cardio every day, 7 days per week, for the best weight loss results, along with 3 days of strength training. I'm not really sure anyone really knows, so go with what feels the best!
  • theresabell67
    theresabell67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is any scientific evidence about "too much cardio". What I'm wondering is if he thinks you should increase your strength training to increase your metabolism and lose the last 10#? Or is this PT just trying to build a clientele and in my opinion is doing it the wrong way. Are there other trainers you could talk to or get advice from?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really say if you're doing too much. What you might want to do is mix it up though. Maybe a couple days you jog and then other days do sprints. Do you have anywhere near your home or maybe at the gym where you can do 50 yard or 100 yard sprints? It's pretty easy if there's an indoor track there. Since those are typically shorter you can sprint the straight-away walk the curve, sprint the straight-away, walk the curve, etc. It's an interesting way to run a mile.

Probably do need to up your strength training to at least 3 to 4 times a week.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I limit man made carbs and try to maitain my goal weight in protien. It works for me
  • vpsmith14
    vpsmith14 Posts: 71
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. I wouldn't say that's too much cardio. Combining it with your strength training makes a well rounded week I think.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me he wants your money too!

I do between 30 to 60 minutes cardio every day of which three to four days are running and the others walking or biking.

From what you typed out, you are fine. That is not 'too much' cardio...IMO.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Does he know you're strength training? I was told the same thing - they say it because you lose precious muscle when you do a ton of cardio, but if you're counteracting that with your strength training (which you are), there should be no detriment. I say tell him to zip it and that when you want his advice, you'll pay for it. ;)
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't really buy into the too much cardio thing. I workout 6 days a week mostly cardio at the moment but even on my "rest" day I just can't sit around and do nothing so I usually go for a run or a bike ride, and sometimes, since I work out in the morning, when I get off of work I go for a bike ride. With strength training of course you want to give that body part a rest but with cardio, rest is ok but if you want to do something just do it, perhaps you can mix it up though.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose body fat, definitely do more weight training. Lots of cardio without a lot of weight training gets the "wet noodle" effect.

I do cardio (30 mins at high intensity) 6 days a week and a weight circuit (30 mins full body each time) 3 days a week at relatively heavy weights (for me). My trainer has been really helpful getting my program set up.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    I don't know if there is any scientific evidence about "too much cardio". What I'm wondering is if he thinks you should increase your strength training to increase your metabolism and lose the last 10#? Or is this PT just trying to build a clientele and in my opinion is doing it the wrong way. Are there other trainers you could talk to or get advice from?

Good question! This is actually the gym manager, and I didn't tell him my weight goal, his comment was actually made while he was supposed to be doing measurements for body fat testing...he also told me his method is 95% to 100% accurate and that the kid who was doing my measurements/bf testing for me the past 3 months was "doing it wrong" (even though this was one of his employees). He also made a comment about having to pinch me really hard with the calipers because of all the "loose skin" underneath my arms (VERY unnecessary comment and from what others have told me, not true!)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Good question! This is actually the gym manager, and I didn't tell him my weight goal, his comment was actually made while he was supposed to be doing measurements for body fat testing...he also told me his method is 95% to 100% accurate and that the kid who was doing my measurements/bf testing for me the past 3 months was "doing it wrong" (even though this was one of his employees). He also made a comment about having to pinch me really hard with the calipers because of all the "loose skin" underneath my arms (VERY unnecessary comment and from what others have told me, not true!)

Sounds like you need to find another gym, preferably one without turkmonkeys in management.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    The argument on too much cardio stems from the fact that after a certain amount of "time" your start to burn muscle for fuel along with the calories and fat you are burning - now.. I'm told by medical experts that most of that muscle burn is the dead layers of muscle anyway - so it's not THAT huge of a deal - if you were running 2 hours a day - I'd agree - but seriously - I think he's just a little off...

That is the biggest downfall with exercise/fitness today - EVERYONE has an opinion and sadly so little of what people think are actually based on medical facts or proven empirical data...

Hang in there brother!
    C.J.
  • Elzecat
    Options

Sounds like you need to find another gym, preferably one without turkmonkeys in management.

LOL @ "turkmonkey"...sadly, the new manager is the ONLY thing I don't like/love about my gym...and I have a really good rate and don't want to change, I just ask my questions elsewhere lol...and I am planning to go to another location (it's a chain) to get body fat testing re-done so I can start over with that...
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I have concert t-shirts older than most trainers in a corporate gym..The trainer iin question is clearly trying to rack up some business, amigo. Or worse yet, just is not very open minded or knowledgable. Had a trainer once tell me I was doing an excercise wrong and upon questioning him found out he was not even familiar with it. It's a tough biz anyway and in this economy they are having to push harder than ever. I have been a coach, and a trainer/consultant, I can tell you what you are doing sounds solid, and most importantly you are getting consistent / good results.

Resistance training can provide good results in fat loss when used properly. However you have great cross training and broad muscle recruitment through your variety of activities. If you are happy with the results, keep doing whatyou are doing. I would recommend not doing any less than the 2 days of lifting, and maybe add another eventually. There are certainly extreme schools of thought out there but the only real draw back to an abundance of cardio (for healthy people) is it can slow gaining significant muscle, if that is one's goal.

Good luck on your half.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure but my girlfriend is a personal trainer and what she tells me is that muscle burns fat at a faster rate. The more muscle you have, the more fat your will burn, reducing your overall percentage of body fat quicker. Something along that line anyways...

So what I think he was trying to tell you was to start increasing your muscle mass. I've heard my girlfriend say that she only does cardio 3 times a week and strength trains 5 times a week and she saw results very quickly with this switch.

The personal trainers are there to make money off of you. They help, yes, I'll say that for my friends benefit, she's awesome, but you can increase your strength workouts on your own without paying to do so.

This is where I need work. I need more strength training but now that I'm training for the full marathon, I need the 5 days a week cardio, so I'm trying to build my upper body with weights and other exercises and hopefully the hills and speed work in my training program will build my legs. Hopefuly it all balances out.

You can always switch things up a bit for a few weeks and see how you feel, maybe even for a month. You have to experiment with your body and see what makes it react the best way.