Weight Training!!

Options
http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Above: a great weight training page. Very interactive: shows a chosen muscle and all related exercises in their different forms, and mini-video clips of how to do them properly.

I have been avoiding weight training for the last month because my back has been bothering me (why, I don't know), I don't want to injury my rotator cuff, and my knees are unreliable. I promised myself I would re-start when I got to 155 lbs, but I'm going to go ahead and start now at 156.8.

Someone reassured me that if I eased into it but was serious about it, now that I'm fit cardio-wise, it'll actually help those weaknesses. I don't know how, but I'm going to proceed cautiously.

Todays weight routine:

Triceps Push Down / sets 3 /reps 10 / weight 50 lbs
quadricep extension / sets 3 /reps 12 / weights 45 lbs
oblique barbell lift / sets 3 / reps 10 / weight 20 lbs
Leg press Extension /sets 3 / reps 12 / weight 95 lbs
Pec Dec Butterfly /sets 2 / reps 8 / weight 45 lbs
lateral pulldown / sets 2 / reps 12 / weight 45 lbs
Standing Calf Raises /sets 3 /reps 20 / weight 95 lbs

Reasonable, and I don't feel sore (yet - get with me tomorrow for the verdict! :laugh: )

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

Above: a great weight training page. Very interactive: shows a chosen muscle and all related exercises in their different forms, and mini-video clips of how to do them properly.

I have been avoiding weight training for the last month because my back has been bothering me (why, I don't know), I don't want to injury my rotator cuff, and my knees are unreliable. I promised myself I would re-start when I got to 155 lbs, but I'm going to go ahead and start now at 156.8.

Someone reassured me that if I eased into it but was serious about it, now that I'm fit cardio-wise, it'll actually help those weaknesses. I don't know how, but I'm going to proceed cautiously.

Todays weight routine:

Triceps Push Down / sets 3 /reps 10 / weight 50 lbs
    quadricep extension / sets 3 /reps 12 / weights 45 lbs
    oblique barbell lift / sets 3 / reps 10 / weight 20 lbs
    Leg press Extension /sets 3 / reps 12 / weight 95 lbs
    Pec Dec Butterfly /sets 2 / reps 8 / weight 45 lbs
    lateral pulldown / sets 2 / reps 12 / weight 45 lbs
    Standing Calf Raises /sets 3 /reps 20 / weight 95 lbs

Reasonable, and I don't feel sore (yet - get with me tomorrow for the verdict! :laugh: )
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, weight training is a great thing.

If your back, rotator cuff and knees been bothering you, just be sure to be very careful on form and do each exercise slowly, make sure that you are not over extending your knees (especially on the quad extensions), straighten your back and hold your abs in tightly through each exercise. Remember, strong abs will support your back, so make sure that you do your ab exercises and always hold your abs in tight. As for the rotator cuff, make sure that you warm them up each time prior to lifting. All muscles should be warmed up prior to lifting, but a lot of times, people warm up by doing a little on the treadmill or something but forget about warming up their shoulders. Make sure that all upper body exercises are done with proper form as to not put too much pressure on the rotator cuff.