Stomach Flu for the last 48 hours and a HUGE Gain. WTH????

Options
My husband is trying to talk me down from a major freak out.

I have had some kind of stomach virus for the last 48 hours. Throwing up, the runs, fever, the whole enchilada. I’ve gone and made the mistake of stepping on the scale and found a gain of almost SEVEN pounds in just a couple of days.

My husband said because I couldn’t keep anything down/in yesterday and anything in today that my body is trying to hold on to as much fluid as possible because it doesn’t want to dehydrate. I’ve been drinking like crazy, for that very reason, my calories are under, and I haven’t moved in almost the whole two days. I am feeling out of sorts not exercising as it is, but to find almost SEVEN new pounds on the scale?

What gives? Is he right? Don’t normal people LOSE weight when they are stomach sick for two or three days?

Thoughts? Thanks, MFP Peeps…you guys have always set me straight in the past…Give me good news? :)

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had the flu a couple months ago and gained also. When I weighed myself the next time though it had gone back down. I wouldn't think anything of it. Give your body a chance to get back to normal and weigh yourself.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    he's probably right! i gain a ton of weight after i'm sick. i wouldn't worry about it right now, focus on getting well. i'm sure the pounds will drop off when you feel better!
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is the one and only time in my life i will say this "I think HE is correct"
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies… and onmywaytoskinny? I am LMAO at your comment. ^5…Nicely said. :)

Ok, I will skip weigh in this week and weigh again Monday. :)

I’m shooting a rehearsal and wedding this weekend, so I will probably ditch any residual water weight during that time. *fingers crossed*
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    When you are sick and not able to keep anything in your system whether diarrhea and/or vomiting your body becomes dehydrated and in turn retains anything it can hang onto. Once you are over the bug and get back to your routine you should lose the weight you gained in 2-3 days. This IS normal.
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    you cant trust you weight on the scale when you are dehydrated - wait until you feel better and your hydration is correct. Your body has to rebound and get over being sick. Dont worry.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Feel better soon! Get off the computer, go lie down, and rest. Do not worry about weight, dieting, anything; just get better!
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have seen this a lot on here the last few days. I, too, have been suffering with whatever the heck this is. Warning: just when you think it has past....whamo! Been about a week and things are still a little off. And yes, I too have GAINED weight. WTH?!?!?! When I first started throwing up, I sickly thought....yay!!! Weigh in is going to rock this week. Sadly, not the case. Good luck! Your body is just recovering. Will balance out soon.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Just curious... does your stomach stop hurting right after you get sick? and are you able to keep any liquid down at all? I had an enteric virus (stomach bug) a while back where my stomach actually produced a crap load of liquid on its own (bile, I think). I literelly went up about 8 lbs, couldn't keep anything down, so I didn't bother eating or drinking. As soon as I would drink even water, I was vomiting. Somehow after 12 hours of this, I was still vomitting a load of liquid, every half hour, and it would happen right after my stomach started to hurt. At that point, I should have been dry heaving from having nothing left, but there was still plenty. I am pretty sure the weight was the excess liquid my stomach was producing, cause once that was done, the weight went back to normal, with a little loss as well. Oh.. and yes.. I had diarrhea too.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Valtishia…I started vomiting late Monday night, then tried to get some tea and diet soda down, and of course, it came right back up. Then the diarrhea started. I had cramps right before running to the bathroom, then once done, I was fine. Tired, but fine. Today I haven’t thrown up at all, just the diarrhea every time I tried to get anything down. I’ve been guzzling diet ginger ale (staying thirsty) most of the day, had some soup, some crackers, and that’s about as brave as I got.

Going to call it a night soon. I hope that this thing will mellow by Saturday.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    And thank you, everyone else. It’s been a REALLY long time since I’ve been sick like this, and I wasn’t watching the scale when i was (which tells you HOW long ago…)

Calling it an early night.

Thanks again! :)
  • Terriann7
    Terriann7 Posts: 78
    Options
    Julie, the others are spot on as are you, give it some time, feel better and you will go right back down. Just keep your thoughts positive. That really does make a difference. I saw a quote on here somewhere that said "Think good things and it good things will be." Anyway, rest up. I want you to join me in the 100 miles ran, walked, or jogged by Sept 1. I am going to do it! :)
  • LAMnTX
    LAMnTX Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow. I thought I was going crazy. Severe stomach flu - four days of not eating & forcing myself to drink water. Today scale read a 10lb gain. WHAT!!!? Thanks for sharing your experiences. Hopefully back to a better place in a few more days. Will stay off the scale for a while.