Does anyone do p90x AND run?

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
So I'm going to start doing p90x on monday but I also want to keep running b/c I want to work my way up to a 10K race. I was thinking about substituting the cardio days of p90x for running. Good idea?

Anyone else in the same boat? What do you do?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I do my P90X/Insanity hybrid schedule AND 3-4 days running a week.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I follow p90x classic in the mornings exactly as layed out, and then run 3-5 miles on P90X strength days, and swim for 30 - 45 minutes on p90x cardio days.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    I do my P90X and still run 3x/week.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i've been doing a run 3 days a week on top of the regular P90X schedule for the past month or so. i find there's not enough cardio in P90X alone. I'm about to start my 2nd round of P90X next week and continue with the running. Just make sure you eat enough. Good luck!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of my friends on MFP do P90x in addition to running.
  • dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    I am doing a P90X/running hybrid right now. It's pretty much P90X on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday, and then run on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sometimes I switch out running for spinning if my knees are hurting. You can switch it up anyway you want. Good luck!!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I do! I found that the lower body and plyometrics workouts are great cross-training for my running, and complement them really well. What I do is I just plan the workouts around my shorter runs, and substitute different workouts around my long runs.

For example, the day before my long run, I don't do any exercises, period. I make that my rest day. Next day, I do my long run, and just stretch. Day after, I'll do the yoga workout. Day after that, usually the lower body workout, and a short, easy run. Then the upper body, with a tempo/speed/hills, etc, whichever one I'm working for that week. Next day, plyometrics and an easy run. Next day I'll either take a rest from the running and pick a different workout, or I'll go for an easy run. Then rest day, and start it all over.

I mostly follow my body's cues, so if I'm feeling really run-down or exhausted on any given day, I won't do the run and just try a minimum workout, or vice-versa. Most of the time, I'll just go for a shorter, easier run and skip the P90X for that day. I don't follow the schedule for the P90X, because I found that it doesn't fit nicely with my running schedule, so I do what workouts benefit me most around my training schedule, if that makes sense.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this! I was hoping to see some more "I skip the yoga day and run instead" posts! HA! I havent even started p90x yet (starting with you Monday!!!!), but I already can NOT imagine having enough time to dedicate 60 minutes to the DVDs and another 30-60 minutes of running. And Im a stay-at-home-mom!! How do people find time!?
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this! I was hoping to see some more "I skip the yoga day and run instead" posts! HA! I havent even started p90x yet (starting with you Monday!!!!), but I already can NOT imagine having enough time to dedicate 60 minutes to the DVDs and another 30-60 minutes of running. And Im a stay-at-home-mom!! How do people find time!?

I'm also a stay at home mom. When I run, I wake up at 4am to get it done before the family wakes up. Then I get my P90X or Insanity workout done during my son's naptime.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I'm also a stay at home mom. When I run, I wake up at 4am to get it done before the family wakes up. Then I get my P90X or Insanity workout done during my son's naptime.

Wow. Yeah. Im just not ever going to be that dedicated! I want to look good, but I also loooove my sleep. I think I will do a full week or two of the exact P90x Classic plan, and then drop two workouts a week to run instead. Not necessarily going to drop the "hardest" p90x workouts, but I know I dont have 90 minutes to do yoga and then shower before my daughter wakes up from her nap. I doubt that substituting running for a cardio or yoga day will completely derail the p90x results.
  • bkl000111
    Options
    I have been alternating running and p90x. I run one day and do p90x the next day. I've heard of people expierencing a plateau when they do both running and p90x. And that just doing p90x itself you'll see more results and won't experience a plateau. Anybody else hit a plateau when they run and do p90x?