Baby Freak out

Options
Okay, so I've been married for a year now and of course my biological clock has begun ticking. I'm 26 and my thought process has always been that it will probably be easier to drop the baby weight when I'm younger rather than waiting till I'm in my 30's. I've battled weight my whole life, and I'm finally within sight of where I should be to have a rockin' body. But I digress...

So I own an insurance agency and I work by myself. I work seriously 24/7. I swear. And so bringing a child into this lifestyle is going to be tough as it is. But I'm so scared of not being able to have time and dedication to drop the baby weight because of my hectic schedule.

Last night we're out with friends and one of the couples had a baby about a year ago. The wife usd to be a dancer and big time into her body. She gained what looks to be like 40-50 lbs during the pregnancy and hasn't dropped a pound of it. Granted, I have no clue just how much dedication she's putting into losing the weight. But I would assume a decent amount because she's a stay at home wife with only the one child. And while I agree that is a full time job (of which I totally respect and somewhat envy) it also provides more opportunities to go and get exercise and prepare healthy meals.

I guess my point is, how am I going to do this some day? Be a mother, a business owner, and still work on my body? And I'm I freaking out for no reason? I know there a million super mom's on this site. What are your keys to success?

In the end we're still like a year from even trying to conceive. But these are definitely some of the concerns that plague my little head. :ohwell:

Replies

• rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    Okay, so I've been married for a year now and of course my biological clock has begun ticking. I'm 26 and my thought process has always been that it will probably be easier to drop the baby weight when I'm younger rather than waiting till I'm in my 30's. I've battled weight my whole life, and I'm finally within sight of where I should be to have a rockin' body. But I digress...

So I own an insurance agency and I work by myself. I work seriously 24/7. I swear. And so bringing a child into this lifestyle is going to be tough as it is. But I'm so scared of not being able to have time and dedication to drop the baby weight because of my hectic schedule.

Last night we're out with friends and one of the couples had a baby about a year ago. The wife usd to be a dancer and big time into her body. She gained what looks to be like 40-50 lbs during the pregnancy and hasn't dropped a pound of it. Granted, I have no clue just how much dedication she's putting into losing the weight. But I would assume a decent amount because she's a stay at home wife with only the one child. And while I agree that is a full time job (of which I totally respect and somewhat envy) it also provides more opportunities to go and get exercise and prepare healthy meals.

I guess my point is, how am I going to do this some day? Be a mother, a business owner, and still work on my body? And I'm I freaking out for no reason? I know there a million super mom's on this site. What are your keys to success?

In the end we're still like a year from even trying to conceive. But these are definitely some of the concerns that plague my little head. :ohwell:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Your body will change and there are some things you won't recognize about yourself. The dedication you show by logging on here will help you. The easiest solution is watch your food intake while pregnant to ensure you don't gain that 40-50 pounds. I can't talk from experience. I finished my pregnancy (after birth and loss of water weight) nearly 30 pounds heavier. It took nine months for me to lose and I've successfully "reorganized" my body so that I'm about prepregnancy weight, but stronger and faster. The reorganization took 21 months. Don't freak out. Many women go through their pregnancy healthy and are able to lose the weight while working and being a mother full time. You can do it.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Stop freaking and start planning. You can do this, but don't expect it to be easy or that it won't change your life. It's hard and it will. You have maybe 2 years to get you business down to a more reasonable number of hours a day. Maybe your husband can stay home or go part time, this is something you need to plan together, but having a baby and working extremely long hours is not reasonable or fair to anyone. Keep working on making healthy choices about food and nutrition. Work with your doctor once you are pregnant and gain the amount of weight that is advised. If you work on getting control over the next year it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, your going to do fine. It's worth it.
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    Yeah, getting the business under control is a big deal. Its tough because with property and casualty insurance I'm extremely tied to the real estate industry. So when they take hits, I take hits. I have other products to sell (life insurance, financial products, etc...) but home insurance is my bread and butter. So I'm on my own in the office right now just to keep expenses down.

So if this economy would straighten out, that would help things out ALOT. lol
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    okay-- I've had nine kids, so I can speak with some experience-- LOL.

I'm a stay at home mom, so can only speak to the weight gain part of it, not the "how do I fit a child into my business" aspect.

My problem with weight is legendary, and I would always gain weight postpartum due to stress, and just good, old-fashioned, BAD eating habits coupled with no exercise.

My first five babies, I gained roughly 30-35 pounds with each one, and ended with a net gain when all was said and done, of about 5 pounds each baby. Do the math-- 5 babies times 5 extra pounds-- not good, plus the postpartum gain-- I was already 50 pounds overweight going into baby #6.

I knew if I didn't keep tight control over my eating, I'd be totally obese when all was said and done. So, I ate for ONE. Don't buy into the "eating for two," nor the "baby weight will come right off after the baby" lies. DOESN'T HAPPEN. I ended up gaining 15 pounds total for each of my last four pregnancies, and then at my six week check-up ended with a net loss each time of 10 pounds. So, I made the babies out of my excess.

Sadly, I'd have the babies, and then eat too much out of stress and put the 10 pounds right back on.

However, moral of this story, use good control during the pregnancy, DON'T gain unnecessary weight. If you're already overweight when you conceive, stick to the low end of the "recommended healthy weight gain," and try to keep it to 15-20 max.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know how busy her lifestyle is but I can honestly say that when I had my kids (I've got two, ages 6 and 3) there was always SO much to do (between house cleaning, laundry, getting babies bathed, fed, changed a dozen times a day, always on the boob breastfeeding, etc) there wasn't much time at the end of the day (or energy for that matter even at the beginning of the day since the babies woke up a lot until they were TWO!!) for me to exercise.
    Exhaustion and 'eating when I could' and 'what' I could led to me gaining the weight back that initially had fallen off.

Even now with one in school and the other home it is still hard to get ME time to exercise because there always seems like there is something to do, or something my lil guy is getting in to. He wants me to play a lot, focus on HIM, so it takes time to get in the habit of saying, "I NEED this me time!"

I think that if you want a baby you'll have to realize that you WILL gain weight and it WILL come off if you work hard at it. It might take some time but anything worth having does, right?? Good luck!!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Although i do not own my own business i am in the military and i believe that is pretty life demanding I have a son and I have lost about 40lbs, it can be done. you sound like a motivated individual.
    I look at it this way if it's something you want you will make it work
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, I don't know how busy her lifestyle is but I can honestly say that when I had my kids (I've got two, ages 6 and 3) there was always SO much to do (between house cleaning, laundry, getting babies bathed, fed, changed a dozen times a day, always on the boob breastfeeding, etc) there wasn't much time at the end of the day (or energy for that matter even at the beginning of the day since the babies woke up a lot until they were TWO!!) for me to exercise.
    Exhaustion and 'eating when I could' and 'what' I could led to me gaining the weight back that initially had fallen off.

Even now with one in school and the other home it is still hard to get ME time to exercise because there always seems like there is something to do, or something my lil guy is getting in to. He wants me to play a lot, focus on HIM, so it takes time to get in the habit of saying, "I NEED this me time!"

I think that if you want a baby you'll have to realize that you WILL gain weight and it WILL come off if you work hard at it. It might take some time but anything worth having does, right?? Good luck!!

I love that little red heart in the middle of your black and white photo-- too cool, mamapants!!
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    Ok...I have only 2 (my hat off to the mother of nine!) and i think you are really not remembering a very big factor...yes, the weight gain is a big thing and many moms have the weight and dont stress about losing it because they are too busy enjoying their kid (that was me) but there is the whole aspect of the amount of exercise you are going to get when the baby starts to crawl and walk! :noway:
    My son was calm...until he saw me putting the leash on the dog...then they would both go hog wild and run in different directions...needless to say I had to get him one of those little vests with a type of leash on the back (yes..Im a bad mommy, I would walk the dog and my son together) and they would still tire me out to the point of no more :sad: ....and then I had my daughter :huh: ...she runs, but she is best at climbing...I have to literally pull her off fences, catch her when she is climbing closet shelves, chase her down in stores, etc....Houdini came back in the form of my 1.8 year old baby...she comes loose of seat belts, stroller restraints, every piece of clothing and diapers ...
    Dont get me wrong...at the end of the day...when I sit back in my recliner and they both take a five minute breather from being their wild little selves and they lay on my lap together its wonderful...my son tells me about his little girlfriends in school and my daughter giggles and grins and gives us kisses, it makes it all worth it :laugh:
    Now, the big question...what makes people think this is not a big enough workout? im big because i eat bad...not because my kids dont give me enough of a run :laugh: :laugh:
    Let things happen, have your baby, things will fall into place :flowerforyou:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Consider breastfeeding....with a home business it can work, should even be easier than working away from home.

First,I've always been chunky...overweight as a teen even.

Both my pregnancies went well, gained over the suggested weight, working as a teacher full time.First was born in July, went back to work (full time) in September, was able to slip out at lunch time do a quick feed and back to work. Had little problem getting back into shape. Nursed till he was two"ish". Loved being able to eat ANYTHING.

Second son was born in September, back to work full time at 6 weeks....still nursing. Again was able to eat anything and everything and have the weight drop off steadily. Able to wear fun clothes, as well as work and enjoy babies. I REALLY miss those days, only time in my life I've ever been really fit and could eat like I wanted. So that's my opinion....breast feed and enjoy ALL the benefits, no formula, healthy baby, great bustline, and especially the calories needed to feed a growing baby!!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Ok...I have only 2 (my hat off to the mother of nine!) and i think you are really not remembering a very big factor...yes, the weight gain is a big thing and many moms have the weight and dont stress about losing it because they are too busy enjoying their kid (that was me) but there is the whole aspect of the amount of exercise you are going to get when the baby starts to crawl and walk! :noway:
    My son was calm...until he saw me putting the leash on the dog...then they would both go hog wild and run in different directions...needless to say I had to get him one of those little vests with a type of leash on the back (yes..Im a bad mommy, I would walk the dog and my son together) and they would still tire me out to the point of no more :sad: ....and then I had my daughter :huh: ...she runs, but she is best at climbing...I have to literally pull her off fences, catch her when she is climbing closet shelves, chase her down in stores, etc....Houdini came back in the form of my 1.8 year old baby...she comes loose of seat belts, stroller restraints, every piece of clothing and diapers ...
    Dont get me wrong...at the end of the day...when I sit back in my recliner and they both take a five minute breather from being their wild little selves and they lay on my lap together its wonderful...my son tells me about his little girlfriends in school and my daughter giggles and grins and gives us kisses, it makes it all worth it :laugh:
    Now, the big question...what makes people think this is not a big enough workout? im big because i eat bad...not because my kids dont give me enough of a run :laugh: :laugh:
    Let things happen, have your baby, things will fall into place :flowerforyou:

Chasing kids is exhausting, but it's not exercise-- at least not the cardio/strength building type we need. If that were the case, oh my, imagine how fit I'd be!!

I like somebody else's quote before-- if you want it, you'll find a way to achieve it. Bottom line.
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    Not exercise? hehehe....you need to meet my kids! My mom always told me that I was going to have to pay for everything I did through my own kids...I was calm...but my husband set fire to their living room furniture while representing Juan Santamaria (the Costa Rican national hero) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Dedication is key! I have 4 children! I gained alot of weight at least 85- 90 lbs with 3 out of the 4 pregnancies! I lost the baby weight after each pregnancy by working out hard and limiting calories. That is all it takes. Im at my smallest now after the birth of my last child January 2005! I wanted to lose weight badly so I put in the work it takes to lose it. Even with kids, full time work, I found the time to get it done. Im in the best shape ever! Its really up to you, dont worry you can do it!

Steph
  • GinaB30
    Options

I love that little red heart in the middle of your black and white photo-- too cool, mamapants!!

I did that at www.picnik.com freeee great photo editing program =o)
    That was a color picture...=o)
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The weight can be lost - that, IMHO is the easy part (and of course a surgeon can fix what diet and exercise cannot, if that is of significant concern).
    :flowerforyou:

The career decisions, on the other hand, may be the greater challenge. I was very career focused, and driven, and never thought too much about children in my earlier years. Then, when we had kids, my focus changed significantly.

I have left the full time "rat race" of work to stay home with my kids until they go to school (I work very part time out of a home office). A few years away from my career is a welcome break, and I love being here to raise my children. In each day, I know what they do, what they listen to, and what they see (and therefore what they will model and what information will form them - "Whatever informs you, forms you"). I think you will know what is right for you, and you will know how to plan for these years.

Good luck! - and IMHO, of all my accomplishments - professional and personal (as corny as this sounds) none are as great as motherhood.
    :flowerforyou:
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    UUUUUMMMMM - wheres your husband while your raising kids, cooking, business owner, ect..... Did you forget he will be there to help you the whole way-- It is really hard when you first get married to learn to rely on that other person --but he will help - and you will be surprised howmuch he will be willing to do for you! You will be fine!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Consider breastfeeding....with a home business it can work, should even be easier than working away from home.

First,I've always been chunky...overweight as a teen even.

Both my pregnancies went well, gained over the suggested weight, working as a teacher full time.First was born in July, went back to work (full time) in September, was able to slip out at lunch time do a quick feed and back to work. Had little problem getting back into shape. Nursed till he was two"ish". Loved being able to eat ANYTHING.

Second son was born in September, back to work full time at 6 weeks....still nursing. Again was able to eat anything and everything and have the weight drop off steadily. Able to wear fun clothes, as well as work and enjoy babies. I REALLY miss those days, only time in my life I've ever been really fit and could eat like I wanted. So that's my opinion....breast feed and enjoy ALL the benefits, no formula, healthy baby, great bustline, and especially the calories needed to feed a growing baby!!

Appetite increases due to hormones. If you don't eat enough you WILL be hungry, and it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to lose weight without losing milk supply although your body will burn more calories just doing nothing. Although some people can eat anything, not everyone can. A good guide is 500-1000 calories a day, but there is not set number and can vary as high as 2500 calories a day, but don't count on that. I pumped while working full time and did it successfully for 15 months. It is not for everyone. The only weight I was able to lose was because I was working out. Having said that, "nine months on, nine months off" was very accurate.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just had my first baby a month ago yesterday. I gained 30 pounds and have already lost 24 pounds without starting back into excercising. If you are careful when you are pregnant and don't take on the "I'm eating for 2" mentality, most of the weight will drop off easily and you'll only have to work on the last 10 or so pounds. Eat healthy and work out throughout the pregnancy and don't add more than 500 calories to your normal diet. (A 7 or 8 pound baby doesn't need to follow a 1500 calorie diet.) Also accept that things change when you have a baby. Your body willl be different afterwards.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    As the mother of three grown boys, just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I was always thin and could eat whatever I wanted. Even after college, I never weighed much more than 105. So, I never exercised. At age 30, having gained 43 pounds (and an umbilical hernia), I delivered my first child. Now, 24 years and 3 c-sections later, I still haven't lost most of the weight.
    My advice is EXERCISE and have really strong abdominal muscles BEFORE getting pregnant. Also, don't eat anything and everything pre and post partum. Even tho I breasfed all 3 of my kids, I did not lose weight. While I did lose a little just from running around (I had the first two less than a year and a half apart ), I was never able to get close to my pre-pregnancy weight. Admittedly, it wasn't until my 40s that I finally started exercising. I was just so happy to have my children that I really didn't care that much about the weight. My eating habits have also always left something to be desired. Anyway, as you get older, your body lets you know that you need to eat properly and exercise if you want to feel well and be well. I'm 54 now, haven't worn a bikini in 25 years and never will again. I really don't mind. I'll be happy if I can get to 125 pounds and have some muscle tone. My goal is to age without too many aches and pains and be able to enjoy grandchildren when I'm in my 60s. Good luck and enjoy these years!
  • GinaB30
    Options
    I just had my first baby a month ago yesterday. I gained 30 pounds and have already lost 24 pounds without starting back into exercising. If you are careful when you are pregnant and don't take on the "I'm eating for 2" mentality, most of the weight will drop off easily and you'll only have to work on the last 10 or so pounds. Eat healthy and work out throughout the pregnancy and don't add more than 500 calories to your normal diet. (A 7 or 8 pound baby doesn't need to follow a 1500 calorie diet.) Also accept that things change when you have a baby. Your body willl be different afterwards.

I'm not 100% sold on the 'it falls right off' thing...it DID with my son, I was 202 in the hospital and 2 days later was 179.......so yeah, it happened that time. But with my daughter (and I didn't gorge or anything and had horrible morning sickness for 9 months)......I didn't lose the weight fast at all.
    I think it can really depend on the person to tell you the truth...some people it DOES just fall off, and some it doesn't.
    I was very very active as well....:huh: