Don't want to fall off the wagon!

Options
ive never been good with sticking with dieting but for right now im doing pretty well, but i was wondering when it would be okay to indulge a little and not fall back into the bad eating trap!

Replies

• ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've heard from many sources that if you don't relax once in a while, you'll eventually jump off the wagon and run away. So personally I don't sweat it if I'm off one or two times a month. I take care not to stray TOO far from the wagon, but I pay attention to what I'm eating, what it's adding to my goal, and then the next day I'm back on course. Sometimes you'll slip up because of a social situation, everyone does. Don't beat yourself up. Just recognize what happened, realize it's not going to help you, so pick up where you left off and keep going.
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    You can and you should eat treats from time to time. I have a little bit of chocolate almost every day, the difference is I have smaller quantaties. You can eat the things you like, just not as much as you used to...if you deprive yourself all together, you will have difficulty sticking with eating healthier.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You certainly came to the right place for motivation and support when you need it. First let me suggest that you stop considering this as a diet. Too many bad connotations associated with that word. People trying to starve themselves to lose weight or following some "fad" that really doesn't help much at all.

Instead, think of this as making the right steps towards leading a healthier lifestyle. Learn to live with the fact that progress will slowly come and that you may not see any drastic results overnight. Once you are in the right mindset, you will take baby steps in making sure you are adding healthier foods to your diet. Maybe ease in to exercise by walking. Pretty soon, you will be doing more because your energy level will keep increasing.

Just never give up! Look to your MFP friends for support when you feel like you're struggling. Ask questions in the forum when you are trying to figure things out. You CAN do this!
  • goninionlb
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE A STRONG CRAVING FOR ICE CREAM ...JUST GET A SPOON AND EAT IT AND THEN WALK AWAY FOR A FEW MINUTES THAT HELPS ME ALOT I HAVE ICE CREAM IN THE FREEZER I JUST GRAB A SPOON AND THEN I AM HAPPY ....ONCE IN A WHILE I WOULD BUY PEANUTBUTTER MM I JUST POUR INTO ZIPLOC BAGGIE AND TAKE THREE OR FOUR AND EAT ONE A TIME IT REALLY WORKS YOU MAY BE AMAZED THE TASTE YOU MAY NOT NOTICED THAT JUST SAVORING THE FLAVOR INTO IT I LIKE ---SO FAR THE DARK SPECIAL CHOCOLATE MM...ALSO.... I EAT EM THREE AT A TIME IT WORKS.... TRY IT ALSO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER NOT SODA I AM HEAVY DRINKER OF POP! I HAD TO CUT IT DOWN SLOWLY (THIS WAY YOU WILL NOT EXPERIENCE BAD HEADACHE) THEN I WOULD ADD LITTLE ICE WATER INTO MY SODA BY HALF THEN PRETTY SOON I JUST DRINK WATER IT WORKS FOR ME TRY IT.... I DRINK COFFEE ANYWAY ALSO...
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends. You know yourself and your history pretty well, how do you handle indulging? And what does indulging mean to you?
    Many "diets" (I prefer "healthy lifestyle changes") recommend re-feed or "cheat/non-planned" meals a few times per week or one day a week.
    Would a treat be
    going out to dinner and eating carbs?
    buying a candy bar?
    an entire day of gorging?

Keep it all in check. I try to schedule one "cheat" day or two meals per week because I'm eating low cal. But I also know I can't keep certain things in the house because they're saboteurs and I cannot stop if I start eating them. Normally I'll leave my treats for the weekend, for unexpected outings...it's nice to have the option sitting in my back pocket, if I need it.
  • ChristyVerness
    ChristyVerness Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My opinion is don't deprive yourself...keep it to a single serving size & enjoy once in awhile! You HAVE to keep it realistic, or you won't be able to keep at it long term! It's a lifestyle change that you're making, not a temporary fix! :)