Sore muscles

Options
are so frustrating! They are very discouraging when it comes to exercising. I'm not very fit to begin with, so I try to keep my workouts as light as possible, and I think I stretch more than I actually run. But I still end up sore for 3-4 days! Any tips?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Take a bath in some Epsom salts at night. That will help. Try to keep exercising even if your muscles are sore. I just keep at time every day.
  • chizzledfrmstone
    Options
    If you want to go the supplement route try Beta-Alanine... yes it works at reducing soreness. I use it when I get back into running or lifting and don't want to deal with delayed onset muscle soreness 48 hours later.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Drink water...that should help some. Make sure you are getting enough during and after your workout.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up before streching? Cooling down and streching again? A good hot shower after exercise and a couple ibuprofen work wonders too!
  • Zen_Master_B
    Options
    Ice and heat! That is my advice, I lift weight and play basketball and get sore frequently so I feel you. I also recommend setting a sleep time so you get good rest every night, your body heals as you sleep. It is also worth mentioning that stretching before and after exercise is important.
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Drink water...that should help some. Make sure you are getting enough during and after your workout.

This.

Also try changing your perspective on the pain..that's called the burn. It means you're making progress!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. But, after awhile, you might become a crazy person(like me) and begin to enjoy the soreness as a victory that you worked your muscles well. Or, not. :P Soreness isn't a necessity, or so I've heard. But, I appreciate the days I'm sore.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I miss the soreness :sad: If your gym has a hot tub, sit and enjoy for a little while, it does wonders! Truthfully the best thing is to take a rest day and then go hit it again. Working the muscles will make it go away much faster than any supplement, or doing nothing at all for that matter.
  • yeya29
    yeya29 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hmm thanks, I'm gonna try all of these.
    And yes, I do warm up and cool down. And I stretch before and after.