Weight Training....

Options
2»

Replies

• maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you just do upper body weight training? I work my legs so much with everything else I do. I am afraid it might be muscle overload.
    Yes I just do upper body strength training. My legs get such a workout from the elliptical, exercise bike and treadmill plus my upper body is weak and need to tone more on my arms.

Thanks!
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. There is a lot of information for me to think about. Thank you again!
  • jacobhenery
    Options
    I want to know about the fastest weight lose program. I think the fructose and fatty diets causes the fatness. I have heard a lot about zija weightloss program. Have anyone ever tried it?
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    sorry, hate to harp, but machines serve their purpose too. I have several clients that want simple, so I teach them ways to use machines that truly are beneficial, and teach them how to add variety, without confusing the heck out of them...

I am sorry but if a trainer advised me to use a nautilus style machine that would be indicator to get a new trainer. Obviously there some good machines such as the cable pull stations etc. but these tend to work more like a free weight in that they do not force a single path of movement or isolate a small muscle group. The fact is most machines do a lot of bad things including attempt focus on exercises for small muscle groups in isolation, force a single path of movement and in same cases place the lifter in jeopardy of physical harm (incline leg press being a great example).

What I find very alarming is the suggestion that beginners should start using these machines to avoid confusion? Why would you introduce someone to doing something the wrong way as a path to avoid confusion? Using these machines will not get them results they desire, involve a lot of wasted effort, may lead to potential injury and even worse will fail to develop a lot supporting muscles that are involved in normal free weight training whether that is with barbells or body weight. On top of all of that if they were just introduced to a smaller number of large muscle group exercise the would see full body results with fewer exercises and better results. To try to achieve the same thing with machines will require a lot more exercises and leads to the false idea that they need these machines to develop strength.

These machines are holdovers from the 70s and 80s and just do not match current training ideas or standards. The best most gyms could do would be to mothball them and open a lot more floor space for more productive use.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    sorry, hate to harp, but machines serve their purpose too. I have several clients that want simple, so I teach them ways to use machines that truly are beneficial, and teach them how to add variety, without confusing the heck out of them...

I am sorry but if a trainer advised me to use a nautilus style machine that would be indicator to get a new trainer. Obviously there some good machines such as the cable pull stations etc. but these tend to work more like a free weight in that they do not force a single path of movement or isolate a small muscle group. The fact is most machines do a lot of bad things including attempt focus on exercises for small muscle groups in isolation, force a single path of movement and in same cases place the lifter in jeopardy of physical harm (incline leg press being a great example).

What I find very alarming is the suggestion that beginners should start using these machines to avoid confusion? Why would you introduce someone to doing something the wrong way as a path to avoid confusion? Using these machines will not get them results they desire, involve a lot of wasted effort, may lead to potential injury and even worse will fail to develop a lot supporting muscles that are involved in normal free weight training whether that is with barbells or body weight. On top of all of that if they were just introduced to a smaller number of large muscle group exercise the would see full body results with fewer exercises and better results. To try to achieve the same thing with machines will require a lot more exercises and leads to the false idea that they need these machines to develop strength.

These machines are holdovers from the 70s and 80s and just do not match current training ideas or standards. The best most gyms could do would be to mothball them and open a lot more floor space for more productive use.

Completely agree. You get much more done in a lot less time using free weights. Also, do heavy weights for few reps and you will get toned a lot faster than light weight more reps.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Completely agree. You get much more done in a lot less time using free weights. Also, do heavy weights for few reps and you will get toned a lot faster than light weight more reps.

That's not entirely true, some muscles are denser in slow-twitch fibers and respond better to volume. Your rhomboids are a great example of this.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've read all the responses, and for me it boils down to personal preference. I do not do a lot of free weights, squats or lunges - my legs just won't take it. I do use many of the machines and hand weights and have had great success working with a trainer on my technique and switching up to include new routines. I don't do a ton of heavy weights - my preference is medium weight with more reps. To each their own, but feel strongly that a newby should see out advice from someone who knows what they are doing to prevent injury and get encouragment and education.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I don't have old equipment. And I have never had Nautilus equipment. You don't know what I have. My machines work the muscles on a 3 pulley system to work like free weights. But there are some pulling type exercises that can best be done with pulleys, verses weights. I don't put all beginners on just machines. I'm sorry if you thought that's what I meant. What I do have is 22 years experience, and updated constantly with the most up to date information. I know a thing or two about body mechanics and how to deal with people who cannot even stand, and help them be their best. My oldest client is 96. My youngest is 11. I have people who are in their 80's doing full body weight pushups. My average client at my gym is 65 years old. And I have them doing whatever is appropriate for them. I use a combination of many types of exercise. And I occasionally give my advice for free here. If you want a trainer that promotes only one type of exercise, and that exercise is good for you, because you believe in it, then go for it, but I am a trainer that really listens to all my customers' concerns and selects exercises and equipment that will work for them.

And I would kindly ask you to not insult me as a trainer, when I am simply trying to give this poster some objective advice, based on 22 years of updated experience. I would NEVER steer a "beginner" down the wrong path. And to say that because I find the simple mechanics in certain machines (that are very effective) less intimidating to some folks, means I'm training them wrong is WRONG itself. I have trained hundreds of clients over the years, and no two programs have ever been identical to each other. That's why I am a PERSONAL trainer. Everybody can be fit, but one program does NOT fit every body.

What makes a trainer good, is not just the body mechanic knowledge he or she posseses, but the ability to read the client's needs. That's why I told the poster to meet with a good trainer. Hopefully, she can find someone knowledgable who will truly get to know her, and help her sift through all this well meant advice.
  • JNick77
    Options

I don't have old equipment. And I have never had Nautilus equipment. You don't know what I have. My machines work the muscles on a 3 pulley system to work like free weights. But there are some pulling type exercises that can best be done with pulleys, verses weights. I don't put all beginners on just machines. I'm sorry if you thought that's what I meant. What I do have is 22 years experience, and updated constantly with the most up to date information. I know a thing or two about body mechanics and how to deal with people who cannot even stand, and help them be their best. My oldest client is 96. My youngest is 11. I have people who are in their 80's doing full body weight pushups. My average client at my gym is 65 years old. And I have them doing whatever is appropriate for them. I use a combination of many types of exercise. And I occasionally give my advice for free here. If you want a trainer that promotes only one type of exercise, and that exercise is good for you, because you believe in it, then go for it, but I am a trainer that really listens to all my customers' concerns and selects exercises and equipment that will work for them.

And I would kindly ask you to not insult me as a trainer, when I am simply trying to give this poster some objective advice, based on 22 years of updated experience. I would NEVER steer a "beginner" down the wrong path. And to say that because I find the simple mechanics in certain machines (that are very effective) less intimidating to some folks, means I'm training them wrong is WRONG itself. I have trained hundreds of clients over the years, and no two programs have ever been identical to each other. That's why I am a PERSONAL trainer. Everybody can be fit, but one program does NOT fit every body.

What makes a trainer good, is not just the body mechanic knowledge he or she posseses, but the ability to read the client's needs. That's why I told the poster to meet with a good trainer. Hopefully, she can find someone knowledgable who will truly get to know her, and help her sift through all this well meant advice.

What??? You don't have your 96 year old doing power snatches from the floor??? I kid of course... :D
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options

What??? You don't have your 96 year old doing power snatches from the floor??? I kid of course... :D

@ JNick77. Ha ha....No, he doesn't do power snatches from the floor, and he can barely get his arms above his head. But his mind is alert, and he fights his arthritis with a vengeance. He faithfully executes and works hard with every task I give him. He shows up an hour and a half early for his session every week because that's the only time he can get his bus to drop him off there. His wife used to come with him up until 3 days before she suddenly died. They are great people. I live in a retirement town, so I do have a lot of older active adults. Many of them have fitness levels that would put most 30 year olds to shame. And we also have a good amount of younger folks too. I could share a lot of amazing stories.

But thanks for making my day, by the way!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options

First off no one is insulting anyone. I talking in general terms if you took as directed at you personally, I am sorry. After reading your reply I really think we are talking past each other.

I agree that many cable and pulley machines have a place and use in strength training. I tried to make that clear in my post. I am specifically talking about any machine that has a restricted, set path of motion (leg press, iso-lateral shoulder press, leg curl machines, leg extension machines, iso-lateral row, mechanical back extension machines, etc).

From you reply I would assume we do not disagree on this point.
  • JNick77
    Options
    @ JNick77. Ha ha....No, he doesn't do power snatches from the floor, and he can barely get his arms above his head. But his mind is alert, and he fights his arthritis with a vengeance. He faithfully executes and works hard with every task I give him. He shows up an hour and a half early for his session every week because that's the only time he can get his bus to drop him off there. His wife used to come with him up until 3 days before she suddenly died. They are great people. I live in a retirement town, so I do have a lot of older active adults. Many of them have fitness levels that would put most 30 year olds to shame. And we also have a good amount of younger folks too. I could share a lot of amazing stories.

But thanks for making my day, by the way!

That's great! We have two older men and an older women that come in. I didn't realize that one was actually 85 up until a couple weeks ago but he comes in at least 4 days a week does some cardio, lifts, and does some strength coaching for a younger lady that comes in. It's pretty cool actually.