Treadmill

Options
I start off with 3.0 speed and work my way up, but it's really hard for me to stay on like a 5.0 and run. And I would love to be able to run, I really wanna lose weight, and i know running will help.

What kind of routine is good for losing weight on the treadmill? And is setting the incline good for that too?

I could really use some tips.

Thanks, in advance!

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    interval training is a great way to lose weight also! Walk fast for 3 mins then run for 1. It works great, and you can work you way up to running every other min : )
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try the "Couch to 5k" program to build your endurance for running. It is great walk/run interval program that you do at least three times a week for 30 minutes. Good stuff! Good luck
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    i'm not a runner either, but i've just started using the C25K app for iphone/android. i've only done one session but i've heard raaaave reviews! :) good luck, and
    BUMP!
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but get off that treadmill and get outside! Its better and easier to do intervals. I like 90/30's. To start you jog 90 secs, and sprint 30 secs. You slowly work your way to running 90 secs and jog 30 secs. Give it a try, but make sure to hydrate.

I always felt like I was wasting alot of time and energy trying to change the speeds on the treadmill.... now if they had a one button solution to interval training!
  • karlengst
    karlengst Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I started a treadmill routine in March 2011. It has changed my body shape even though I haven't lost that much weight, maybe 5 lbs. I walk @ 4 mph @ incline 4 for 5 minutes. Then I run @ 5 mph @ incline 5 for 1 min, then 5.5 mph for 1 min, then 6 mph @ 6 incline for 1 min. Then I cool down back at 4 mph @ incline 4 for 2 minutes and then start the routine over again. I do this for 30 min. and the time goes by so fast! When I get to the 29 min. mark I run for 1 min. @ 6 mph @ incline 15. I then cool down for 5 min. at various speeds and inclines.
    Hope this helps you as much as it did me!
    Karen
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the interval thing on the treadmill too. I want to be able to work up to being able to run but for now, this is what I have been doing

warm up for 6 min, incline @10 for 2 min, back down to incline at 1 for 2 min, after a couple of times of doing this, I put the incline upto 12. I am usually at a 3.0 or 3.2/mph. I know that's probably slow for most people but I can't go any faster, yet.:)

30 min goes by so quick when doing the interval way!
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    Just like what everyone is saying here HIIT or interval is the way to go, it will help you build endurance and stamina big time! :D That's how I build up my stamina and endurance! Currently this is my routine when I run on the treadmill. First I walk for 5 minutes, speed@3.5, incline@3.0. After the warm up, I put the speed up to 6 mph with 3.0 incline and I run for 10-15 min straight. After that I lower down the speed back down to 3.3 mph and walk for 5 minutes. Then I repeat the whole process all over again. I do this for about 45 mins.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but get off that treadmill and get outside! Its better and easier to do intervals. I like 90/30's. To start you jog 90 secs, and sprint 30 secs. You slowly work your way to running 90 secs and jog 30 secs. Give it a try, but make sure to hydrate.

I always felt like I was wasting alot of time and energy trying to change the speeds on the treadmill.... now if they had a one button solution to interval training!

I run indoors, i can run for longer on a treadmill and as a beginner it is beeter for my legs, i am not small and the impact and bad form outside put me off for ages... run where ever you like, just give it a try
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    run where ever you like, just give it a try

I totally agree! Sorry, I wasn't even thinking about the impact of the outdoors. So run where you are comfortable is the bottom line!

Take care!