Tennis shoe recommendations

Options
Hey all, I cannot honestly remember the last time I wore a pair of tennis shoes. I was hoping maybe someone could make a good recommendation. I am not going to be doing any hardcore running right away (though I would love to start running eventually, I am sure I will go through a couple of pair of shoes before I get to that point), so what would I need for walking/aerobics, things of that nature? I have super high arches and am prone to shin splints if I'm not careful with them.

And where would be a good place to find said shoes?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I love new balance. go to a store and have them fitted - some styles work much better than others depending on your feet!

good luck!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you have a running store - in Dallas we have Run On! and Luke's Locker - check them out. They'll look at your gait when you walk and when you run and determine the best shoe for you. Totally worth the investment - in time and money :) Good luck!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Go to a shoe store (not a big sporting goods store) that sells multiple brands of shoes and get fitted with the right pair for your feet. I loved NB, but found out after a fitting that I should be wearing Brooks. OH MY GOSH they are more comfy.

BTW I have a high arch also
  • irishseven
    irishseven Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Best shoes are asics gel nimbus, you can order though ROADRUNNER. They are awesome!
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different feet so it's hard to say. I can't wear Nike or New Balance cuz they hurt my feet around my arch. But I love love love my Saucony's. I have been running in them and they are awesome. Maybe you should be fitted since you aren't sure of what will work for you. Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love Sketcher's Shape-Ups
  • TrevaNadreau
    TrevaNadreau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I spent some time working as a shoe salesman at Sports Authority and can make a few recommendations... As far as brands go, I've become a sworn Asics guy. Even though you aren't planning on running, I would still purchase a running shoe... the main reason being the amount of support and cushioning in them... Asics uses formed gel in the heels of their running shoes that is much better at reducing impact than anything with air in it. Asics running shoes are also relatively lightweight and made from breathable materials...

Now, biased opinions aside, I would suggest going in to a Sports Authority near you and speaking with someone in the department... their training was pretty extensive and I learned more about shoes than I ever knew existed. Their staff can help you find the right shoe for your needs, including high arches... They will also attempt to sell you Soft Sole inserts for high arches... they are amazing and you should pick them up as well... I haven't worked there in a while but I still buy my shoes and inserts from them... you won't beat the knowledge of their staff.
  • Zhonda
    Zhonda Posts: 1
    Options
    I really like Saucony Ignition 2. They are so comfortable, no blisters and pretty reasonably priced. You should probably try on a bunch of shoes since everyone has different needs based on pronation and arch.
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a brand of tennis shoes called Ryka. I purchased a pair of running shoes and trail shoes. They are made just for women. These shoes are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had. Their website is www.ryka.com. Good luck!
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks guys-anyone have any experience or heard anything positive/negative about the shoes that are supposed to help tone your butt and legs? Maybe not for regular exercise but just to wear around the house or out and about or something?