"Bump"?

Options
What does it mean when people write "bump" on here? I am assuming it means they agree? New to this site!

Replies

• ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it's like a fist bump. I could be wrong. A very juvenile part of my mind wants it to be women doing a chest bump. I make that part of my mind stand in the corner.
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    it just means they are bumping the thread to the top so others can see it more readily than having to search pages and pages of threads for it ;)
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I believe that people write "bump" in the message, to bring the topic back up to the top of the list.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It puts the topic into a que on your page so you can easily return to it later! :)
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    I think... it is so they are able to find the thread later. Like some smart phone will bumb data to each other, I think that is where it comes from.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Bump is when they are interested in the answer to the topic posted.....
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    It sends the topic to the "my topics" page so you can go back and access it without searching
  • kathryn84
    kathryn84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it's like a fist bump. I could be wrong. A very juvenile part of my mind wants it to be women doing a chest bump. I make that part of my mind stand in the corner.

Hahaha
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    Good to know!! I was wondering about that myself!!
  • ShunkyDave
    Options
    Oh wow, I am glad to know the real meaning now. Um... bump.
  • ShunkyDave
    Options
    It sends the topic to the "my topics" page so you can go back and access it without searching

Where is 'my topics'?
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    "Bump" has been around the interwebs as long as message boards have been, even longer (anyone heard of a BBS). It "bumps" the message back to the top of the "most recent posts" so that more people will see it, read it, and preferably add their 2 cents to it. It is most often used to bring a topic that has fallen off in the discussion back into the forefront in order to generate interest in it again or bring the topic back up for discussion.

It has been modified over the last 20 years or so to mean different things, but still generally used in a case where you want to keep the conversation in the topic fresh. On MFP and discussion forums that are similar and have no way to track which threads you have read and which you have not, it is used to mark a subject that you want to be able to easily return to in the future without actually adding your opinion at that time, by adding it to your "My Topics" section of the message boards. This is especially useful for people using smart phones because it will mark the topic so you can easily return to it when you are at a full sized keyboard so you can properly enter your opinion.

Now that I have bored you all to death.... bump.
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Where is 'my topics'?

Just above the subject of the message that you are reading, right after "Home" "Recent Posts" and before "Signature" and "Search"
  • ewalker10
    ewalker10 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the info!