Greek Yogurt

Options
KBrenOH
KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
Hi all!

I keep seeing people mention Greek Yogurt, but what makes it any different than say just Yoplait light? Is it healthier for you?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Way less fat, sugar, etc, and way more protein! about 20g of proetein actually....yopliat yogurt has more salt in it than 2 pieces of bacon...just sayin!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There's about twice the protein in it so it helps keep you feeling full longer.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i just bought some yesterday!

i think it's the protein (there are 18g in the kind i have; Fage O% Plain) and it actually tastes really good (to me, especially for being a plain yogurt) I also like that it's fat free. It's also SUPER thick, almost like a custard (like the yoplait thick and creamy).

i highly recommend it just because of the protein!
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It is basically strained yogurt. The end result is a thicker, more protein-dense yogurt.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    You can flavor it and use it for healthy sour scream or mayonnaise!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is like, um, an orgasm in my mouth! Wait, am I allowed to say that here? Well, it's true LOL. I love greek yogurt and eat it every day, sometimes twice. It goes great with fruit and flaxseed and/or nuts as well... yum! And like others have said it's got much more protein and the texture is different it's thicker.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if one brand is better than another. I notice tons of different companies make this in the store but is one healthier or lower in calories?
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    I love greek yogurt! it has more protein and less sugar than yoplait. I buy the Olympus Traditional Greek Nonfat Yogurt brand. It is imported from greece, I guess zeus himself makes this yogurt at mt olympus! lol :D
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    The only down side to greek yogurt is that it has far less calcium than regular yogurt. It is higher in protein so it helps keep you full longer.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Really wish I could get over being so grossed out over Greek yogurt! Yech! Must be an acquired taste?
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i just bought some yesterday!

i think it's the protein (there are 18g in the kind i have; Fage O% Plain) and it actually tastes really good (to me, especially for being a plain yogurt) I also like that it's fat free. It's also SUPER thick, almost like a custard (like the yoplait thick and creamy).

i highly recommend it just because of the protein!

I haven't tried the greek yogurt yet--I would want a flavor or have to add some fresh fruit to mine!!!!

PS--Isn't his dog adorable!!!:smile:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is like, um, an orgasm in my mouth! Wait, am I allowed to say that here? Well, it's true LOL. I love greek yogurt and eat it every day, sometimes twice. It goes great with fruit and flaxseed and/or nuts as well... yum! And like others have said it's got much more protein and the texture is different it's thicker.

I totally agree. I am soooo addicted. I was never even a yogurt fan..too thin and runny or something..a texture thing. I LOVE greek yogurt..my fave is the fage..it has seperate compartments if you get it with fruit or honey. And they use natural sugar and no junk. Dip your spoon in the fruit and then scoop a little yougurt..omg..so good.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know if one brand is better than another. I notice tons of different companies make this in the store but is one healthier or lower in calories?

Different brands have different tastes. I have heard Chobani is good but I can't find it here, I prefer Liberte plain greek yogurt. Really good =)They do have some with honey and other flavors I had my boyfriend start with that to get used to it. Now we both eat it plain, the flavored ones are higher in sugar.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Fage in the best in my opinion.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Love, love Greek yogurt! Chobani is my fav....M'mmm :flowerforyou:
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    you need to try it, it's creamy and yummy. Plus all the benefits, double even tripple the protein, so great after a work-out
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    also there a 0% fat too
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I used to be grossed out by Greek Yogurt, my mom would get Greek Gods or something, and I thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Then I tried Chobani- Blueberry... And oh my damn. I don't eat any other yogurt now. It's so gooood! I really like the blueberry, lemon, honey, and pomegranate flavors.
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Chobani is my favorite, especially the fruit flavored ones. There's more sugar in those but it's worth it to me, the strawberry banana one is like heaven in a tiny bowl.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used to be grossed out by Greek Yogurt, my mom would get Greek Gods or something, and I thought it was the most disgusting thing ever. Then I tried Chobani- Blueberry... And oh my damn. I don't eat any other yogurt now. It's so gooood! I really like the blueberry, lemon, honey, and pomegranate flavors.

The raspberry and peach are great too.....I eat them after my workout...M'mmm. I've tried some others but they didn't compare to Chobani. :flowerforyou: