"Big Boned" Before and Afters?

Options
I have extremely broad shoulders and kind of on the big boned side. I feel I will never be thin because of this, are there any people (mostly girls please) that are big boned and broad shouldered who have before and afters so I don't feel so dis-couraged? Thanks :D

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yep, me. I have an athletic build and could consider my body type as a rectangle. Feel free to follow my links under my ticker. My photos are there. I'm 5'2" and being slim (by way of narrowness) will never happen for me. But I'm okay with that because with proper toning, etc., I look strong and healthy.
  • bjohs
    Options
    I also believe that with learning to dress our bodies properly, you can give the illusion of narrower shoulders, waist, etc. I have taken a lot of tips from TLC's "What Not To Wear". Learning to dress our bodies, at any weight or height, is a huge factor in loving the way we look.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    Yep, me. I have an athletic build and could consider my body type as a rectangle. Feel free to follow my links under my ticker. My photos are there. I'm 5'2" and being slim (by way of narrowness) will never happen for me. But I'm okay with that because with proper toning, etc., I look strong and healthy.

Thanks! :) You look great by the way!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have a fairly broad back and shoulders, but i don't have any pictures. but, my mom, who has even broader shoulders than me, and also has a broad back, does have before and during pics.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShellyMacchi/view/what-56-pounds-lost-looks-like-on-me-pics-116129
    that is her blog post she posted a few days ago. she is def looking quite slim. she may never be able to be the same size on top as she is on the bottom, but there is nothing wrong with that. i agree with the other reply about learning to dress your shape. i expect to have to do the same as i get slimmer. i had a lot more to lose than she, so i am not nearly as far down as she is.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Options
    i have a fairly broad back and shoulders, but i don't have any pictures. but, my mom, who has even broader shoulders than me, and also has a broad back, does have before and during pics.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShellyMacchi/view/what-56-pounds-lost-looks-like-on-me-pics-116129
    that is her blog post she posted a few days ago. she is def looking quite slim. she may never be able to be the same size on top as she is on the bottom, but there is nothing wrong with that. i agree with the other reply about learning to dress your shape. i expect to have to do the same as i get slimmer. i had a lot more to lose than she, so i am not nearly as far down as she is.

Thanks so much, you both have really eased my mind :)
  • bjohs
    Options

I read her success story the other day. Your mom looks great!

I also think dressing your body at any weight is the key to feeling better about your self image. When I was heavier, I was one of those people who would try to hide behind loose fitted clothing and baggy shirts or pants. I wish I would have tried harder to shop for things that flattered my rounder figure. Now I look back at those old photos and wonder what the heck I was thinking wearing "that"!??! :) I looked like a ball! I wasn't trying to look like a ball!!! lol
  • bjohs
    Options
    Thanks! :) You look great by the way!

Thank you!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    No before pic, but you can see my current - I'm in the middle of my profile pic.

Very straight build, broad shoulders, heavier on top, narrow hips. At my heaviest, I was 80#s more than what you see. Funny thing though, as the weight comes off, I'm realizing my bones were not as big as I thought.
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    I have broad shoulders and hips... halter tops make me look awful... but you gotta love yourself, and make do with what you've been given. You can see my before/during pictures on my profile. I still have another 10 lbs to lose.
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    i come under the "big boned" catagory! i have broad hips and shoulders and have hands the same size as the average man (poor me!)

i dont have any after pics right yet as i'm not at target but i do have progress pics

me at + 219lbs about 4 months after i had baby number 2
    485afffc.jpg

and me now (not the greatest pic the best i could get with a toddler around, but you get the gist)

5e2d7de5.jpg

I know i'll never be "skinny" i've been there before and looked ill - i'm happy getting to slim and i'm working on strength training at the same time, so that i have a nice sculpted look at a night healthy body shape.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This fits me to a T! When I was in high school, all the guys told me I had linebacker shoulders. :( Obviously, not my favorite memories of high school! I am 5'10" and also have man hands, like the above poster mentioned. Also, as someone else mentioned, as the weight came off, I realized my bones were not quite as big as I gave them credit for! :) I also agree with dressing to conceal those parts! Thankfully, even though my bodytype is far from ideal, it does allow me to build muscle faster than some of my exercise buddies...so there is a silver lining!

I did something to my photos when I moved them around in photobucket, but you can follow this link to see my Weight Loss Journey photos. I still want to lose another 15, but so far, Im happy with my results!

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/amberwelch79/Weight Loss Journey/
  • bjohs
    Options
    Yep, man hands here too! lol
  • AmyS618
    AmyS618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check to all of the above! I don't have before and afters yet, but hopefully soon. I'll try to come back to this post at that point.

I laugh at the low end of my projected "healthy" BMI--125 lbs. I'm 5'10" and at my thinnest ever in undergrad, which was TOO thin, I was 146 lbs.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Funny thing though, as the weight comes off, I'm realizing my bones were not as big as I thought.

At my heaviest, I used an online calculator to help determine my frame size - wrist measurement, etc. It said I had a LARGE frame, just like I'd always known!

Funny enough, 70 pounds down, I'm leaning more towards the large side of small/small side of medium for my frame size measurements. ;)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and definitely "big boned" - here are pictures of me at around 280 and another at 190. My goal is 180.
    This is what I looked like to start with:
    29775_869548316142_10116788_48816093_2656878_n-1.jpg

And here is what I look like now:
    257638_10150295371093833_637923832_9230834_4895575_o-1.jpg
  • Ley2ndtry
    Ley2ndtry Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and definitely "big boned" - here are pictures of me at around 280 and another at 190. My goal is 180.
    This is what I looked like to start with:
    29775_869548316142_10116788_48816093_2656878_n-1.jpg

And here is what I look like now:
    257638_10150295371093833_637923832_9230834_4895575_o-1.jpg

wow you look AMAZING you look like a different person! good job!
  • GraciellaEsther
    Options
    I am really big boned! I weigh 138 and my grown brother cant even close his fingers around my wrist! i have barely any curves and have to buy large shirts and fit them to my waist just so they'll fit me in the shoulders! And to top it all off I have 6 hourglass figured skinny sisters. But even though i realize that big boned ladies will never be petite, God made us this way for a reason and we should emnrace it.Keep toning and working out, and we will be strong and healthy not fat, even though we are large.
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I wish I had my old pictures on this computer. I had to lose weight once before. I am very big boned. I started out last time @ 200, I went down to 140...my husband didn't like it. He said I looked like my bones were sticking out. 150-165 ish is ideal for me personally. I am 5 6, and I may be big bopned, but that doesn't mean I can't look great!
  • Lets_Do_It
    Options
    I'm soo glad I posted this topic! Seeing all these women before and afters I feel so happy for them, first off. And it made me feel better :) Thanks.
  • AMarlene
    AMarlene Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Me too! When I enlisted in the military they actually gave me 20 extra pounds to qualify in weight because of the large wrist and neck measurments I had! I have always based attraction to guys on if their shoulders were broader then mine- married one thnk goodness :smile:
    I just joined so I will put pic soon- have a ways to go but 35 lbs have made a difference but sometimes I struggle with no matter what I will never be considered "skinny" or"small"- but fit & healthy is my goal!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!