Call me slow...

Options
...but i cannot for the life of me figure out how many cals i should be eating to loose weight!! Can someone figure it out for me and let me know? Pretty Please!!?? I am 5;2 , 23 years old, 146 lbs... i work out atleast 30 mins a day and go to the gym pretty frequently too for a tough workout. I am aiming to loose about 1 to 2 lbs a week... but have had no results for 3 weeks so i must be eating wrong... any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Did you see my blog today? It's funny what triggered movement again for me last week!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bjohs/view/plateau-vs-chocolate-who-won-116497
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Are you following your plan based on the MFP guidelines? I think it matter more of WHAT you are eating, rather then how much.. Keep your sodium, sugar, and carbs low, and eat a lot protein :P
  • rosy_rsls
    rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Did you see my blog today? It's funny what triggered movement again for me last week!

yes!!! i amm quite tempted to try it!! i added chocolate pudding to my last snack today...does that count?
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    are you talking you dont know if you should eat back excercise calories or not? cause u can choose how much u want to lose a week at our/your height im an inch taller but even if u set mfp to lose 2lbs a week it generally isnt possible u can lose 1 maybe 2 if your lucky but prob. 1lb of fat in eating back exercise calories if you excercise an hour and burn 600 caloires you normally walking around doing every day things prob. would have burned 60-70 so you would eat back 540 of those calories if that doesnt make sense add me as a friend and ill try to help

5ft 3 SW:182 CW:141

6148478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

yes!!! i amm quite tempted to try it!! i added chocolate pudding to my last snack today...does that count?

That's funny! You'll have to keep me posted on how it goes. lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It really varies depending on the person, your activity level, etc.

I'm 5'4", 35 yrs old and I currently weigh around 145lbs. I eat 2200-2500 calories a day and I eat back ALL my exercise calories too.

Weight loss isn't a one size fits all kind of thing. It's a very individual thing - what works for some, may not work for you. Don't be afraid to switch things around until you hit on what works for your body. I spent MONTHS plateaued at 150lbs - upped my calories from 2000 to 2200-2500 and boom! Off came 5lbs. I have been happily maintaining this weight for a month now all while eating a lot.

There's NO way I could ever eat 1200 calories or whatever. My body would FLIP OUT. Heck, it flips out and starts gaining weight when I am below 2000 for more than a day or two.
  • rosy_rsls
    Options
    are you talking you dont know if you should eat back excercise calories or not? cause u can choose how much u want to lose a week at our/your height im an inch taller but even if u set mfp to lose 2lbs a week it generally isnt possible u can lose 1 maybe 2 if your lucky but prob. 1lb of fat in eating back exercise calories if you excercise an hour and burn 600 caloires you normally walking around doing every day things prob. would have burned 60-70 so you would eat back 540 of those calories if that doesnt make sense add me as a friend and ill try to help

5ft 3 SW:182 CW:141

6148478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    yep that is exactly what i dont understand =[ where all these numbers come from!
  • rosy_rsls
    Options
    It really varies depending on the person, your activity level, etc.

I'm 5'4", 35 yrs old and I currently weigh around 145lbs. I eat 2200-2500 calories a day and I eat back ALL my exercise calories too.

Weight loss isn't a one size fits all kind of thing. It's a very individual thing - what works for some, may not work for you. Don't be afraid to switch things around until you hit on what works for your body. I spent MONTHS plateaued at 150lbs - upped my calories from 2000 to 2200-2500 and boom! Off came 5lbs. I have been happily maintaining this weight for a month now all while eating a lot.

There's NO way I could ever eat 1200 calories or whatever. My body would FLIP OUT. Heck, it flips out and starts gaining weight when I am below 2000 for more than a day or two.
    2200-2500 NET cals???
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    @chvy88grl - you are in the exact place i want to be!
    i am also 5'4' and i am 31, and my weight has been stuck at 151!!!
    i eat a net of 1300, maybe i need to eat more like you and things will change!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Just looked at your diary...you are way below on your cals every day. Get them up to a net of 1200 and you most likely will see the weight starting to drop again!

BTW, I love the chocolate idea. Dark chocolate is a natural diuretic...everything helps.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Click FOOD, then on that page click GOALS.

It will show you (on the right side of the page) how many calories you need to consume. That is NET calories.

For example, my calories are set at 1310. Eating 1310 calories/day should make me lose 1 lb. a week.

If I burn 500 exercise calories today, but only eat 1310, that means my NET calories are only 810. NOT ENOUGH.

Eat your exercise calories; consuming fewer than your BMR (you'll see your BMR under TOOLS), will cause you to stall, be cranky and possibly give up.

Why eat exercise calories? what is the point? because exercise makes you fit. becoming fit helps you burn even more calories while resting. HOWEVER, you must fuel your exercise in order to keep your metabolism firing. If you don't eat enough, your body will slow down to conserve energy. This is fact. Do not believe people who tell you otherwise.

You can find explanations for this all over this site AND all over the internet, however, here is a nice explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Unfortunately, it seems counterintuitive and many people will tell you the complete opposite. If you have any doubts, however, ask someone you know who is an athlete or is otherwise very fit. (not skinny and unfit).

Blessings.
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed the same thing. You need to get to at least 1200 calories a day, (or alot closer than 700-900). I dont eat back my workout calories, so I cant preach to you about that. But you really need to get to that 1200. I know youre probably eating less hoping that you will start to lose the weight but its pretty essential to get those nutrients into your body.

Your exercises look like good burns. Keep it up!!

Jessica
  • KKJ24
    KKJ24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories are 1200 but if you earned 400 in exercise calories then you should eat close to 1600 calories that day. Just took a look at your diary and you need to eat more girl!! You know us mommies are running around all day and you aren't getting enough calories. You also need to add a lot more fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. I see coffee is usually your breakfast calories. You need to eat something like oatmeal or eggs to give your body fuel. If you aren't a breakfast person, I totally understand because I am not but I find it is important and shows results if you eat a good breakfast. Watch your processed food intake also because you may be holding on to the water weight from the sodium. You are doing really great logging everything though..keep it up!!!! :)
  • rosy_rsls
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice!!! i will def be eating more and see if the scale moves at all. I will try the eating my calories burned back for a week and see how that works =] today i will have alot to eat back... any suggestions?
  • rosy_rsls
    Options
    Click FOOD, then on that page click GOALS.

It will show you (on the right side of the page) how many calories you need to consume. That is NET calories.

For example, my calories are set at 1310. Eating 1310 calories/day should make me lose 1 lb. a week.

If I burn 500 exercise calories today, but only eat 1310, that means my NET calories are only 810. NOT ENOUGH.

Eat your exercise calories; consuming fewer than your BMR (you'll see your BMR under TOOLS), will cause you to stall, be cranky and possibly give up.

Why eat exercise calories? what is the point? because exercise makes you fit. becoming fit helps you burn even more calories while resting. HOWEVER, you must fuel your exercise in order to keep your metabolism firing. If you don't eat enough, your body will slow down to conserve energy. This is fact. Do not believe people who tell you otherwise.

You can find explanations for this all over this site AND all over the internet, however, here is a nice explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Unfortunately, it seems counterintuitive and many people will tell you the complete opposite. If you have any doubts, however, ask someone you know who is an athlete or is otherwise very fit. (not skinny and unfit).

Blessings.
    I FINALLY FREEKIN UNDERSTANED!!! you are awsome!! ty soooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rosy_rsls
    Options
    Your NET calories are 1200 but if you earned 400 in exercise calories then you should eat close to 1600 calories that day. Just took a look at your diary and you need to eat more girl!! You know us mommies are running around all day and you aren't getting enough calories. You also need to add a lot more fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. I see coffee is usually your breakfast calories. You need to eat something like oatmeal or eggs to give your body fuel. If you aren't a breakfast person, I totally understand because I am not but I find it is important and shows results if you eat a good breakfast. Watch your processed food intake also because you may be holding on to the water weight from the sodium. You are doing really great logging everything though..keep it up!!!! :)
    you are absolutely right!!! we do need a bit more for all the running around! i will def be upping my cals and seeing if that changes anything. ty!