HRM questions (too high)

Options
So I just got a Polar HRM and I was wondering about the levels we are supposed to be working in. I ran today and the entire time it said I was at 96-101% of my heart rate and I wasnt in the 'zone'. If I slowed down to be in the zone then I wouldn't even be running......how can we lose weight and work out in the zone if we cant run?!

Replies

• YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bumping.. would like to see what others say, because I just ordered mine and would like to know. Maybe if you do not get an answer here, try the exercise forum?
  • TerpZone
    TerpZone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would do more research but from what I found out the first time I lost weight, walking is actually better for losing weight than running. You want to keep your heart rate lower than you'd think so it stays in the fat burning levels. If it gets higher (like with running) you go up into the sugar burning and good for your heart levels. So it helps you burn some of what you ate that day, but lower heart rate is better for actual weight loss. Again, it's been a while so I'd research this to make sure I'm right.
  • Miss_Sissy
    Miss_Sissy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know also. Yesterday I bought the Polar also and just used it tonight. I walked for 75 minutes and it said 15 minutes of that was in fat burning while the rest was fitness stage. The way I see it, that 15 minutes was my last lap when I walked faster, (3.0-3.2) than my other laps and my HR was 131-135. The other laps my HR was 114-119 and I was walking at about 2.5 mph and that was my fitness part.

So the way I figure it is, the higher your HR, (within living reason), you burn fat but if your body and HR get leveled at that point then it is no longer burning but doing fitness. What I mean is, if your a beginner like me, and trying to level out a good HR, lets say 120, you want to keep that for a bit, but when that is no longer burning fat and just doing fitness, you go faster, lets say 125 or 130. I learned that when the body gets used to a routine, it's bored and is no longer burning fat.

So If I'm correct, then my first night with my Polar is depressing. I have arthritis in my feet and ankles and is hard to walk fast for long. I can do 30 min and 1 hr high intensity workouts, and do the machines, (not the stand up ones) but walking is something that I am already pushing with 3-5 miles a day, when a month ago I could barely go down my 3 flights of stairs without being out of breath...