Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

carbs carbs carbs

When to eat them? I've read a fair amount now but there is so much varying information out there. I'm doing this gym challange weight loss thing and the recommended nutrition plan suggests no carbs after 4pm. However lots of what I've read doesn't seem to suggest this at all .. I do shift work so there are times when I'm up all night and times when I'm working to 11-12pm at night. I've been adjusting my diet to suit my shifts I eat 6 regular meals that never changes but I eat carbs at night for dinner if I am going to work or if I'm at work. and not after 4pm if I'm not working late shifts.

I'm training 6 days a week 3 strength and 6 cardio sessions. My weight loss has been progressive but slower than I expected I know I'm putting on muscle and I am dropping dress sizes. But I do wonder if I am going about this carb thing all wrong.

So does one eat carbs for dinner? or have no carbs after 4pm? Is it okay to adjust for shift work or is it better to stick to a strict meal plan?

Any suggestions or advice here peeps?

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    My trainer said no carbs after 4pm to me also.
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    not all carbs are created equal! I work swing shifts and I eat 60/35/5, or I try to! ha ha. So the ideal of my diet is to eat 60% carbs (oatmeal, broccolli, peas, carrots) 35% is lean protein, and 5% healthy fats (omega 3's, chia seeds). Long story short I use my work day as the schedule of how I am going to eat. 6 weeks I eat only at night (even on my days off) and then it changes to days. I try to consume most of my carbs in the morning. Carbs are fuel, fat burns in a fire of carbs (alot of people are gonna hate that comment!) and at the end of the day I am consuming lite meals of protein. post workout style shakes and light meals. Hope this helps, I do alot of endurance training so thats why I eat more carbs then the popular diets. Just stay away from carbs that are refined sugars and candy and crap like that. Stick to wholesome carbs! Ok see ya!
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Trainers more often than not, don't know a single that they're talking about.

If you understand the function of carbs, you will know exactly when you need them.

Simple carbs provide an immediate release of energy, so I recommend taking it before a workout/physical activity or even after to replenish your energy stores.

Complex carbs take longer to break down and to be absorbed so they provide a longer and more consistent energy source, great in the morning.

Ignore any diet that has anything to do with times.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Ignore any diet that has anything to do with times.

What, even IF the Leangains why? How very dare you....

Nah, just kidding. I get what you are saying and its a good point. Carbs don't make you fat, no matter what time you eat them, if you are running a calorie deficit. That's all folks. Thanks for listening.

However, there is reason some people recommend not eating carbs after a certain time, usually the evening. Carbs, particularly of the simple variety, are metabolised quickly by the body causing spiking blood sugar levels. This can then trigger hunger which can (though not necessarily will) prompt over eating. It's the over eating which makes people fatter, not the carbs themselves.

Also, eating carbs (particularly those rich in fructose) helps top up liver glycogen levels which will then show up as an increase on the scale given that glycogen requires water to be stored. People then see this increase and believe that carbs made them "fat" when in reality it is their weight that has changed rather than their fat levels.

*Edited for crap spelling*
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    I know why some people recommend it, I just personally think it's silly.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Physiologically it is a bit silly, but psychologically it's a different ballgame.

If you look at the epic "carb" bunfights that evolve from nothing on these boards it is clear that many people try and separate the physiological from the psychological when in a real world setting that is largely pointless. They go hand in hand.

If people are new to the fat loss game they need to believe or have faith that the methods they are using will work. Nothing gives people belief more than seeing results, even if in the short term they are illusory (such as the initial weight loss from water in a low carb diet.) This then gives them confidence to stick to their diet for long and be more consistent with good food choices translating to REAL results. Dietary adherence and consistency are the real markers of success.

As you think so shall you become.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Thanks for the imput guys yes I know better and I know how carbs work but its true what you say about the psychological factor of it all. So the point being one should stick to what makes logical/ physiological sense hence how carbs actually work for your body..

which is a good point because changing up my diet to fit into my shift work is a nightmare sensible is as sensible does.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Physiologically it is a bit silly, but psychologically it's a different ballgame.

If you look at the epic "carb" bunfights that evolve from nothing on these boards it is clear that many people try and separate the physiological from the psychological when in a real world setting that is largely pointless. They go hand in hand.

If people are new to the fat loss game they need to believe or have faith that the methods they are using will work. Nothing gives people belief more than seeing results, even if in the short term they are illusory (such as the initial weight loss from water in a low carb diet.) This then gives them confidence to stick to their diet for long and be more consistent with good food choices translating to REAL results. Dietary adherence and consistency are the real markers of success.

As you think so shall you become.

well someone who is insulin resistant does process carbohydrates differently from most people.
    for me, reducing carbohydrate intake is not a matter of psychology but of possible survival, as it has emerged that glucose metabolism may well be a factor in the development and growth of certain kinds of malignant tumors. not everyone is here to lose weight, you know.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    I would worry about the timing of your carbs only after you've found and are consistently adhering to your personal optimal daily level of carb intake. This is something that takes a significant amount of discipline and careful planning. Carb timing also takes a significant back-seat to getting adequate protein. But to answer your question, I only purposely eat starchy carbs around my workouts.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    can someone recommend a reliable website that gives info on carbs, different types of carbs etc as I am a bit clueless on this ! I want to be better informed. Thanks !