Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Online Grocery Shopping

lesley1981
lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
I just wanted to share my very first experience of online grocery shopping.

I have recently been ill and did not leave the house for a week, so when the fridge and cupboards were bare I decided to give online grocery shopping a go, rather than let my other half do it and have all the wrong things...

Following delivery of my groceries I came to realise that this could really help with my weightloss for one MAJOR reason:

I ONLY GET THE THINGS I NEED RATHER THAN PICKING THINGS OFF THE SHELF THAT I FANCY!

This has also saved me a massive amount of money (around £25 last week) as, not only am I not buying for the sake of buying, I'm able to view special offers all in one place and also look at cheaper alternatives! And there's no junk food in the house!

This has also helped me plan my foods much better, creating a meal plan for the week and sticking to it.

So, a BIG UP to online grocery shopping!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I enjoy going to the grocery store. I did online shop once, but did not like that someone else was picking out my fruits and Veggies. I like to see what looks good and if it doesn't I can choose something else. I do agree it is convienient and it does stop the impulse buy.
  • smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    I have never done online grocery shopping but I think it would be a good idea too. I can see only getting what you really want and not being tempted by all things bad. Could save some major cash too.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    I've used it before - mostly over the winter months when I just hate going out. I definately save money and don't buy junk but there are times when I am less than happy with the veggie selections.
  • lesley1981
    I have a friend who works in Tesco as a "dot commer" and he picks all the online orders. The fruit and veg received by those who order online is fresher than that on the shop floor, as they are picked in the warehouse. The only time it's ever picked from the shop floor is when there's none left in the warehouse.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    I enjoy going to the grocery store. I did online shop once, but did not like that someone else was picking out my fruits and Veggies. I like to see what looks good and if it doesn't I can choose something else. I do agree it is convienient and it does stop the impulse buy.

I'm with you!! Can not stand the thought of someone picking out my fruit and vegetables.
    We tried it for a while with farmers market company... and we had slugs in our grapes!! was so gross i almost vomited!!
    The following week we had 2 rotten pears!
    that was it for me... i'll do my own shopping!! :)
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Hi

I have used online shopping for a few years now. It is convenient but I have taken to going to the shops for my sunday joints as they tend to palm you off with the naff, fatty ones. Not to mention the poor packing sometimes, last month they packed 6x 1.25kg tins of dog meat in one carrier which obviously broke with the cans narrowly missing my feet. However when I phoned to complain they refunded the delivery charge and sent me an e-voucher for £10 off my next shop.

Also some of the substitutions are mental.....the stupidest by far was tesco last christmas. I ordered crusha strawberry milkshake mix...they had run out so substituted a christmas bag for life instead!!! The children didn't fancy drinking this.

But despite this I find the convenience fab and being able to take your time searching offers, reading labels etc I also save money. No impulse buys and if you forget something you just add it on the order.

martyxxx
  • cherryvee
    cherryvee Posts: 16
    I've tried it once or twice and as mentioned already, I'm never happy with the veg choice. If it's pre-packed veg it always has the use by date of the next day and the hand picked stuff isn't what I'd choose. I think if you can shop for the veggies/fruit yourself from a local grocery, if you have one, and buy store cupboard/refrigerated/frozen food online that would be the best solution. Works for me and still saves me money.

Can I ask which supermarket you shop online with? I am with Asda at the moment, but not happy with there service, so thinking of switching to Tesco or Sainsburys.
  • lesley1981
    Can I ask which supermarket you shop online with? I am with Asda at the moment, but not happy with there service, so thinking of switching to Tesco or Sainsburys.

I shopped with Sainsburys!

The delivery man went through all the fresh stuff with me to see if I was happy with it, and if I wasn't he would have taken it back and I would have been refunded... I'm one of the fussiest people when it comes to veg but everything was so fresh!