Ab routine??

Options
I am trying to tone up my tummy and get rid of "love handles". I do an ab workout every other day. Should I be doing it everyday? Does any one have any good ab routines??:ohwell:

Replies

• Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlGOMJ--nL8

Really works the love handle area I have never felt an exercise that I can actually feel it on my sides but this one I do and I have seen some small results so far, check it out you can do it with any weight
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Is looking forward to the answers as I need to do the same. Also, has anyone got a link to the various exercises for abs?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No need to do abs every day, they need recovery time and rest just like any other muscle. That being said, Ab work will not really do much to "tone" your tummy as long as there is a layer of fat over them. There is a saying that Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. To get abs you first need a clean diet, second most important is Cardio.
  • erickirb
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlGOMJ--nL8

Really works the love handle area I have never felt an exercise that I can actually feel it on my sides but this one I do and I have seen some small results so far, check it out you can do it with any weight

You may feel this, but it will do nothing to lose fat around that area, only strengthen the muscles under the fat. (Ab work should still be done as there is a ton of benefits, but losing fat in the tummy area is not one of those benefits)
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I know I do one called the wood chop on a standard cable system that I can really feel in the obliques when I use good technique. I'd also suggest some knee to elbow crunches and some side bends (w/ weights).

And it's good to do them every other day, give your muscles a day to rest and the results will be better.
  • Mills187
    Options
    erickirb isnt that the point? Muscle burns fat dont you want to build the muscle there to burn the fat?????
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    As erikrib said, abs is mostly about eating a clean diet- nothing processed, try to stick to whole grains, lots of veggies, do some cardio and strength training. Specific exercises will help strengthen, for sure, but that won't help the layer of fat on top. I work my abs about 4 days per week.
    Actually, I did notice a significant improvement in my top 2 abs after incorporating the seated ab crunch machine, but I was also paying attention to my diet and upped the cardio.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Do you have an exercise ball? If so, watch this YouTube video for the very best ab exercise! Start with 2 sets of 8 reps if you can and work your way up to 3 sets of 15. Rest one minute between sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ
  • erickirb
    Options
    erickirb isnt that the point? Muscle burns fat dont you want to build the muscle there to burn the fat?????

You wont really build ab muscles in any significant form (maybe a couple of ounces) and muscle burns more calories (not fat). Any fat loss it will come from where the body wants to take it from, not from the area you are doing strength training on.
  • Mills187
    Options
    Good Info thanks!
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do a lot of cardio and I am loosing the weight in my tummy area. I eat really clean and I have seen the rewards from that. I just want to start toning up. Thanks for all the suggestions. You guys are a great help. Cant wait to try all these out. :smooched: xxxx
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    have you checked out any of Jillian Michaels AB routines on YouTube or her DVD's? heres something from her newsletter, hope this helps

From LOSING IT! With Jillian Michaels
    Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lose That Lower Gut Flab
    Ugh, the lower gut — it's often the last thing to go, right? Lower-abdominal flab can be downright persistent, but it can be reduced with the right diet and exercise regimen. If your gut instincts are telling you to start crunching, you're on the right track. Although crunches by themselves won't burn belly fat, they will strengthen your core, burn intramuscular fat, and help you build lean, calorie-burning muscle. If you want an exercise that specifically targets the lower and transverse abs, try the Reverse Crunch.

Reverse Crunch

•Lie on your back with your feet off the floor, knees bent, and ankles together. Bring the tops of your quads inward and onto your stomach so that you don't swing your legs to gain momentum during the movement. (This also helps you isolate your lower abs during the crunch instead of engaging the hip flexors.) Relax your head, neck, and shoulders, resting them on the floor. Rest your arms at your sides, palms facedown on the floor.
    •Lift your pelvis off the floor, and curl it toward your rib cage. Make sure to exhale fully while you're crunching in order to maximize the contraction.
    If you really want a challenge, hold your arms out at your sides and several inches off the floor. This helps to further isolate your abs, prohibiting your arms from assisting in the crunch by pressing off the floor with your hands.
  • aadams05
    aadams05 Posts: 20
    Options
    I was thinking of getting the jillian Micheals 6 week 6 pack. Thank you for the post. It really is just my lower gut area and the love handles. Im not sure if I will ever get the complete flat stomach that I hope to have after a c section but I am not loosing hope or giving up on trying.