16 year old and protein powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    i think not.

protein powder is full of unnatural things i believe a 16 year old doesnt need. just my opinion.

This is SO not true. Quality protein powder is just that...pure protein. Just like all other foods, vitamins and supplements, there are crappy ones and great ones.

That said, I would prefer if children got all their nutrients from quality foods.

Really, read this. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm
    They are not all created equal. A young adult that is still growing and forming habits needs to learn to eat properly. If she doesn't like eggs, she can eat lean meats, Milk, Yogurt, Chocolate Milk is a great post workout drink and better than just any old arsenic filled protein. Teach them good eating habits. My 11 yrs old orders grilled chicken and steamed broccoli most times when we go out to eat.
    Personally I only use Optimum Nutriton Protein Powders...sure it's more expensive but I don't have to worry if it's clean.
    Also, keep in mind that the Supplement Industry is not regulated. They can put and say whatever they want on the package.
    Do your research before giving your kids anything.
  • kmal2t
    kmal2t Posts: 21
    Options
    Considering the fact most "personal trainers" are idiots, there's no reason for her to listen to the high school drop out err I mean trainer trying to make her take it. Protein powder is a SUPPLEMENT. It's not a food. It's a cost effective and fast way to get protein but should not be a replacement for meats/dairy/grains/beans/nuts etc for ways to get protein. As long as she's getting a decent amount of protein in her diet she's fine. She's also 16 so she should be eating plenty as well.
  • TimTamGirl
    TimTamGirl Posts: 20
    Options
    There are some excellent books on the market by Anita Bean who writes about Sport's Nutrition for Children (under 18's). It is very important that children are given the right nutrition before and after exercise in order to repair their muscles and fuel their cells. It is equally important that children do age appropriate exercises.

Both of my children are National level swimmer's, my son trains 6 days a week in the pool and also does land training every second day. I have found that a simple food such as yoghurt or Sustagen/Milo in full cream milk to be an excellent source of protein after a training session.

Try to get your friend to do some homework on the Internet before purchasing any costly supplements. I also suggest you stay well away from Creatine as this is not suitable for growing bodies.

Good Luck :smooched: