early morning work out

Options
I literally roll out of bed to get to my spin class at 5:30AM and am not eating anything prior to. Just wondering what others do in this situation. I have been told that I am probably selling myself short without getting my metabolism going?

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I just started working out in the morning, and quite honestly at 5:40 in the morning there is no way I can eat. soooo I pass and then eat right after...

I have heard the same thing too. But I would get sick and probably throw up if I ate something.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what others do in this situation.

I grab a banana & a yogurt cup before my morning TurboJam class. If you eat too much before intense cardio & you're not used to it, you might throw up.

Grab a protein shake/smoothie afterward.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5:15 and I am on the elliptical by 5:30am. I don't eat anything either. I would probably blow chunks on the person's face next to me.
  • massmech8111
    Options
    Its very hard to eat early in the am..but ya gotta do it...
    not eating before the am cardio can be bad,your body is already in a caloric deficit from the night of rest and repair(unless you tend to get up at midnight and eat)
    to burn 300+ calories can be counterproductive...
    eat light first thing...I wake up and grab a protein shake first thing..it took a while to get used to ,but the benefits are well worth it..
  • SummerLuvR
    SummerLuvR Posts: 90
    Options
    WOW, I wish I could get up early to exercise! I try again and again, but the night owl in me won't quiet down and let me sleep :(( Good going :))
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm with SummerLuvR. I can't get up early to exercise either, but was on the treadmill at 10pm the other night!

Anyway, what about just grabbing a granola or protein bar? Even if you can get half of it down, it should give your body a little fuel.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I teach a bodypump class that starts at 5:30, I'd rather not wake up at 4 just to shove food in my pie-hole when I'm completely content waiting until 6:45.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I mix up a fruit smoothie - just unsweetened almond milk and strawberries - to drink before my 5 AM workout. I tried eating a banana before working out, but it made me feel bloated and icky! The smoothie seems to be just the right thing for me!
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere you should eat a slice of bread with peanut butter to increase burn during your workout
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have an article we can read regarding this? I am seriously interested to know!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    not eating before the am cardio can be bad,your body is already in a caloric deficit from the night of rest and repair(unless you tend to get up at midnight and eat)
    eat light first thing...I wake up and grab a protein shake first thing..it took a while to get used to ,but the benefits are well worth it..
    Why would it be counterproductive? Isnt exercising on empty stomach meant to burn more fat?
    I workout about 5am and eat my breakfast at 6.30. I'd throw up if I had anything before exercise. And that include protein shakes, fruit or youghurt. I'd need to eat at least an hour before, and i'm not getting up at 4am...
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Starved cardio, cardio without any sustinence, is actually a great way to kick start your metabolism for the day! Just be sure to follow up that exercise with some food, particularly protein and whole grain carbs. I see my best results when I get up and knock out cardio or aerobics early in the a.m. and I always have lots of energy throughout the rest of the day.
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/

I had read this a few weeks ago and saved it in my favorites - just to remind myself that it's ok to workout first, then eat.
  • AScarbrough19
    AScarbrough19 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    still pretty confused but I am going to try and have a little something. I liked the idea of a slice of bread w pb. Just would like to see if I will have more energy!

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • massmech8111
    Options
    Why would it be counterproductive? Isnt exercising on empty stomach meant to burn more fat?
    I workout about 5am and eat my breakfast at 6.30. I'd throw up if I had anything before exercise. And that include protein shakes, fruit or youghurt. I'd need to eat at least an hour before, and i'm not getting up at 4am...

the human body is designed to conserve energy any way it can,hence the reason we get fat...
    after an 8 hr fast, your body is looking to replenish its glycogen stores..also your metabolic rate is slowed to a crawl..if you go and hit the gym ,you are burning calories yes...but not necessarily from your fat stores more often your body becomes catabolic(it eats muscles for potential glycogen)

eating upon awakening ramps up your metabolism from its dormant state...kinda puts fresh fuel to the fire..
    keep in mind i AM NOT a scientist or a professional by any means..but i did stay at a holiday inn:)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What about just eating a date or a handful of dried fruit (cranberries, plums, apricots) for a quick energy boost?
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Personally I force down a 40g Porridge Oat Bar while im on the bus and wash it down with some Jack3D to give me some carbs and a helluva lot of caffeine, perfect for that 0600 workout
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    When I work out in the morning now, I don't eat anything before, but I eat breakfast right after my shower to refuel. I do drink water before, during, and after am workouts.

When I used to swim competitively, I had a Carnationn Instant Breakfast before am swim practice, and a regular full breakfast afterwards again.

If it works for you not eating anything, and especially if you think you would throw up from eating, stick with your routine!