Question for Marathon/Long Distance Runners

Options
Just to get this out of the way -- running a marathon isn't something I'm just jumping into. I've wanted to do one for a few years but never had the nerve. I'm working on strength and endurance with a trainer. I've researched training programs and local running groups. I've also run a few 5ks and have more scheduled. Just want to let you know this isn't a whim :wink:

I'm going to begin an 18 week marathon training program shortly. The problem is that I live in south FL and it's so fricking hot now. I also have asthma and allergies. I don't like to use an inhaler before running because it makes me jittery. I do use the Breathe Right nasal strips and allergy medicine, but sometimes still have trouble breathing after awhile. The heat and humidity outside tend to make it worse. OK, so here's my question: if I wait until about 5 weeks before the race to start running outside, is that too late? I know there's a big difference between a treadmill & running outside and don't want my 1st long distance run outside to be the day of the race. Any advice?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Get in runs outside, as often as you can. Maybe go in the evenings when it's a tad bit cooler, or run in rain showers, etc.

Try to go atleast once a week outside in the elements to really get good training in for outdoor running.
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Setting the treadmill to at least a 1% incline will help, but still you should run outside at least once a week if you can manage it! Good luck! I did my 1st 1/2 marathon last December and had SO much fun. :smile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say its too late... as long as you realize that running on a treadmill and running outside are two different beasts.

Have you tried running outside in the early AM when it's cooler? I'd recommend getting in some outside time because they are very different.

Can you run outside at least once a week to get used to the different surfaces and the fact that you no longer being pushed along by a belt? Maybe your long run of the week?
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    well.....first of all...congrats! I am three weeks away from starting my 18 week training program for my first full marathong training program as well. and....I live in Texas. where it has been 100+ almost everyday since about the end of March. so, I understand about the heat. I will tell you that there are several ladies at my local gym who have run many marathons and have trained on the treadmill for 90% of their runs. so, I think you will be fine. I have ran 3 half marathons, and what we did was do our shorter runs during the week on the treadmill after work. then, on Saturday mornings, we would get up EARLY, sometimes before the sun was even up, to get our long runs in before it gets hot. and we would do those runs out in the country where there was more chance of a breeze. and don't forget to stash water along your route. Or...better yet...invest in an ifitness belt with the water bottles. Best of luck to you and would love to have you add me as a friend. we can encourage each other on this crazy adventure we are about to conquer!!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    im training for the Chicago marathon since last fall and in the past month ive been doing my long runs around 6/630 am. Once i started a long run @ 7 and i thought i was going to die an hour into the run because it got so sunny and humid. I do my shorter runs in the evening, but its still hot and muggy at 6pm

Yah you need to get outside, you cant do all of your training on the treadmill, you need to get your body used to the elements. Most training plans start @ 12 weeks, 5 weeks just isnt enough (my opinion). it doesnt give you enough time for your long runs (20 miles is the most for beginners) and if you try to push yourself in 5 weeks, youre gonna wind up injuring yourself
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump. I don't want to run a marathon but I also suffer from exercise induced asthma and would like to hear how others cope. I do use my inhaler before I run and it helps some but I also live in Atlanta where the heat and smog is a factor.

I have found that I run better in the mornings though (probably b/c the smog is not as bad that time of day). Looking forward to everyones responses as I am running my first 10K (The Peachtree Road Race) on the 4th of July!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice. The majority seem to think 5 weeks may not be enough. I think I'll do at least 1 short run outside each week, but will start the long runs outside 10 weeks before the race. That'll give me 2 1/2 months of long runs outside and 18 weeks of short runs. I'm also doing a mini triathalon in the beginning of September, so that should give me a decent gauge of how I'm doing. (Started training for that last night :bigsmile: )
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    bump. I don't want to run a marathon but I also suffer from exercise induced asthma and would like to hear how others cope. I do use my inhaler before I run and it helps some but I also live in Atlanta where the heat and smog is a factor.

I have found that I run better in the mornings though (probably b/c the smog is not as bad that time of day). Looking forward to everyones responses as I am running my first 10K (The Peachtree Road Race) on the 4th of July!

Good luck with the 10K!

I wish I had some advice for running with asthma. I find that I usually end up drolling like a big dog after about 40 minutes! :laugh: The nasal strips have helped me a lot. But I have to use the Breathe Right. The generic brands don't do anything for me.