What to eat...what to eat!?

Options
suzyq584
suzyq584 Posts: 21 Member
Thanks in advance for helping me out!

I'm going camping this weekend and would love suggestions on some healthy breakfasts, lunch or dinners to have while up there. My typical camping food itinerary consists of hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and any other salty, unhealthy crap I can load into my trunk! I want this trip to be different so suggest away. :smile:

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bring lean turkey burgers and find some good all natural, low sodium hot dogs & whole wheat buns. Then you can still eat the same foods and not feel like you are missing out!

Eggs for breakfast are great! If you have a cooler that is cold enough, pack lots of fruit and yogurt for snacks. Oh, some raw almonds too!
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit and jerky instead of chips. Lean hot dog or hamburger with out buns.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • RunNannyRun
    Options
    Lots of fruit and vegetables! I would pre cut them so they are ready to eat and that way instead of grabbing the chip bag, grab some veggies. If you can maybe make turkey burgers. If not, I think eating hot dogs and hamburgers is okay. Just eat a lot of fruit and veggies first that way you arent as hungry. I also will tell myself I can have chips or a s'more but I have to eat this apple or carrots first. Drink lots of water too!!! Baked potatoes are great as well! Maybe bring whole wheat bread and make pbjs.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. For breakfasts and snackcs, how about protein bars, raw almonds, yogurt cups, natural trail mix, dried fruit?

For dinners, if you want hotdogs, go with low sodium turkey dogs and maybe use wraps rather than buns? If you want hamburgers, be sure to get the leanest beef you can, and maybe use thinner patties than normal (unless you use the pre-shaped ones, which of course would be easier to deal with when camping, but you can pre-shape your OWN patties and package them up yourself.). The other possibility is to use turkeyburgers or even boneless chicken breasts (they even come in packages like the pre-shaped hamburgers do!).

I hope these ideas are helpful!
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oooo!! Camping food, my specialty. LOL, not really but I am obsessed with healthy eating AND camping. When I recently went camping, I took pre-scrambled egg whites with some grated colby jack. Bacon is ok too, just a few slices. Fruit with breakfast will be good too. You'll want a good breakfast for camping activities.
    For lunch, I just took some apples and string cheese, but you can do a turkey and cheese sandwich, but on whole grain bread with very little mayo or mustard if you like.
    Snacks, snacks, snacks: my weakness. Whole grain cheerios are deelish (measure!), string cheese, fruit or even a granola bar or two.
    Dinner.... mmmmmm.... Meat is ok (if you're not a veg). One night we had a 3oz. piece of steak with sliced potatos grilled. Another night we had a slab of chicken (or fish) with some grilled corn on the cob and mushrooms. We eat better camping than we do at home.
    The good thing about camping is it can force you to eat earlier (good for digestion) since it can get cold faster. Once that sun goes past the mountains, the temperature DROPS. Have fun and let me know how it went. Friend me or feel free to message me with more camping questions!! I got it all covered!!

Pre-make, bag, mix, open everything! So much easier!
  • destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    Fruit is always good when it's warm outside. Instead of regular hamburgers, you could do turkey burgers!! They sell some really awesome, already seasoned Jennie O Turkey Burgers -- they're surprisingly good. Wheat buns instead of regular buns makes a big difference, or what I do is use whole wheat thin english muffins around turkey burgers with all the fixings (except mayo). You'd be surprised how good it is. Baked Chips (like Pop Chips) are a good alternative to regular potato chips -- I could go on and on. . . . have fun!!
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same boat here! 2days this weekend.
    Dinner:
    What I did to prep was made foil packets.

1rst idea: boneless skinless chicken with 1/2 cup onions, 1/2 peppers, crushed tomatoes (1can), (approx 2tbl spoons) black olives and (approx 2tbl spoons) green olives, in a separate foil pack is fresh corn cut from the cob - cooking spray on the inside of the foil bag and topped with some pepper and in the last foil pack cooked brown rice with chili seasoning with a bit of cooking spray on each side of the foil .
    2nd: Whole wheat noodles, sour kraught and kielbasa, added a tbl spoon of olive oil and 1/2 cup of chopped onion.

Drinks
    Packed plenty of water. Juice boxes are reserved for the kids.

Snacks:
    I bought peaches, celery (which I cut into sticks), carrot sticks, almonds and bagged cheerios.

Lunch:
    For me I am bringing cottage cheese ( individual packs) and apples. It is camping however and if I do feel like a hot dog I will eat half of one and stick to the plan.
    They boys/men will eat hamburgers and hot dogs.

Not sure what the calorie intake is ... going to figure that out tonight!

Good luck and stay dry as it is supposed to rain Friday & Saturday here :-)
  • suzyq584
    Options
    You guys are AWESOME!!!!

Thank you for all of the great suggestions! I have used every single one to make up my shopping list and meal plans. Oh...what would I do without my MFP buddies!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I always bring portabella mushroom caps to grill for burgers :)
    OR
    You can buy/make stuffed portabella mushrooms for on the grill too.

Maybe also, you should try fish instead of red meat, like salmon :)

Dried fruit, and veggie chips are a good choice for snacking as well!!
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    OR

Love LOVE loving this idea!
  • lindsayfranke
    lindsayfranke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bring lean turkey burgers and find some good all natural, low sodium hot dogs & whole wheat buns. Then you can still eat the same foods and not feel like you are missing out!

Eggs for breakfast are great! If you have a cooler that is cold enough, pack lots of fruit and yogurt for snacks. Oh, some raw almonds too!

Your picture on your ticker is so cute!
  • suzyq584
    Options
    OR

Maybe also, you should try fish instead of red meat, like salmon :)

Dried fruit, and veggie chips are a good choice for snacking as well!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't like mushrooms or fish but I will certainly do the veggie chips idea! :smile: