Cruising

Options
ashxo12
ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
I am thinking about going on a cruise sometime in the near future... Does anyone have any tips, or advice on this? What has worked best for people?

Thank you!!

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    firstly, avoid the afternoon tea and cakes!! secondly, make full use of the gym, thirdly, go for walks when you do a resort visit.

Lastly, enjoy it, they are fantastic holidays!!!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    What Jeff261159 said:smile:
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It was fun. Plan at least one shore excursion maybe more depending on how long you stay. (jet ski was awesome in the bahamas) Pack bottle water in your luggage. Norwegian was mostly older people, :yawn: go carnival! Senor Frogs is at a few cruise destinations- check it out. (shots at 10am in a conga line woohoo) :drinker:

Visit atleast one of the restraunts you have to pay the up charge. It's worth it.

They charge an arm and a leg for EVERYTHING. :sick:

Over all I LOVED IT :heart:

Have fun!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, go in the off season and you'll save a boat load of money. Also, I have a discover card, which I get cash back on. You can get vouchers using your cash back that will double your money (spend $100 cash back to get $200 voucher from cruise line).
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I've been on a couple..Watch what you eat during the day, because the dinners are usually AMAZING, so try to save room for them if you can. I explored every dang inch of the boat and avoid the elevators. Both I have been on had a jogging track too..that's interesting because half the time you are running into winds that can almost knock you over haha. (Esp if you run in the early morning or late night because that's when they kick the engines in high gear). I only jogged once or twice. Too much other fun stuff to do to waste your time running in circles.

Explore all of your destinations on foot, swim in the ocean/snorkel, play sand volleyball...

I guess in short, theres a lot of good food to be eaten, but there is also a ton of opportunities to get excercise in a fun way.
  • atisketataskets
    Options
    Best vacations ever!

Book early for the best cabin options, or if you don't care where you are on the ship; book last minute for great savings!

I always over pack (this is not a good thing).

Take your own beverages (last time I cruised, you could take your own 12 pack of soda). Drinks get super expensive; and if you enjoy adult beverages - forget it! They have an abundance of those, and make them very appealing!

Plan out your day (they give you an itinerary of everything that is going on daily), you don't want to miss out on the really fun stuff!

If you take excursions; stay with the tour guides! (no matter what countries you visit)

Have fun with the formal dining days. Really cut it up, people are there to wear those prom dresses and tuxedos. It's really great!

Do ALL of the on-deck activities, volunteer for stuff if they ask.... You will love the cruise videos that they produce at the end of the cruise, and you may have something to blackmail your friends with!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I went on the Celebrity line. Great food, service, and experience. Trying to do another one next summer.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1 so far that was 7 days long. It was amazing! We went to Mexico, Jamaica and Grand Cayman Islands.

We had excursions at each of them except for Grand Cayman. We just laid there and jet skiied. It was beautiful!

My tips would be:

We got way excited on our 1st one and spent soo much money. Unless you have it of course. We got hot stone massages, pilates classes, all this crap we didn't "need". It was nice and I don't regret it.. but next cruise we know better.

If you are prone to sea sickness (which most likely will NOT happen), stay in the middle of the ship. Forward part of the ship will feel the most movement if there is any. Also take some meds for it just in case beacuse it costs an arm and leg on the ship. Also the bigger the ship, the less movement you'll feel.

Go to the shows!!! They're so much fun.

Take comfy shoes. All types!

We are going to another one in September and I cannot wait. This time we'll be going to Honduras, Belize, and 2 ports in Mexico. It's also a 7 day one with Norwegian cruise lines.
  • Whatnow50
    Whatnow50 Posts: 93
    Options
    We cruised twice and go Saturday on third to Alaska. So much fun! 1st-Eastern Carribean, 2nd Bermuda. Loved all of it. The ship is fun but then the ports are also fun and interesting. I'm excited to make healthy food choices and get lots of exercise to keep from gaining. The gyms usually face out at the amazing view and our ship Sat. has a Thermal Spa Lounge with a lap pool, hot tub and lounge chairs inside. Since it's to Alaska I think we may sign up for this area to use after the gym.

I think anywhere you go will be fun... is there a place on earth you are most interested in seeing? Last minute booking or port near you that elimates flying in will help save you $$$. Often shore excursions can be booked when you get off the ship, direct with tour operator and saves $$.

Have a blast and let us know what you do.