Thunder Thighs???

Options
dlpnrn2b
dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
OK, so I have always had a "hour glass" type figure until I had kids.. now I am more of a "pear" my waist is pretty small then hips have some "muffin top" and a little "back fat" but OH mY THIGHS... I feel like no matter what I do, my waist keeps getting smaller but that just makes my thighs stick out even furthur..lol I know this sounds funny but on a serious note, my thighs are my area of conscious, I try to wear shorts but they end up "riding up" because my waist is so much smaller then my thighs and if I go the other way where they fit in the waist they are super tight in the thighs.... any advise of specific exercises for this area that will really work, I would appreciate it...

Replies

• FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! That's my problem area too!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges using progressively heavier weights (dumbbells or a loaded barbell). Take your thigh measurements once a month and enjoy the loss in inches!
  • dkiefer
    dkiefer Posts: 1
    Options
    I started walking to and from work, about 45 minutes each way with at least 4 hills in between. I try to do this 3 days/week. I've always had trouble with my thighs too and I am noticing some definite improvement
  • KaylaShianne
    Options
    Don't do any weight training for your legs. my muscles in my thighs balloon up when i do squats lunges etc. (and i don't want that at all because I also have bigger thighs) Also avoid cardio that creates a pump like stationary biking. you can get enough muscle toning in you legs if you just do cardio such as running, walking, or doing the elliptical or treadmill. but avoid the bike and stepper.
    A lot of workout video's for women have lunges and squats as a staple, but you really don't have to work on your legs at all if your doing cardio like walking and running.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    That is totally my problem too! :grumble: I can't wait for the day that my thighs don't rub together. I am doing a spinning class, and it is an intense leg workout. I am hoping for biker thighs soon. Good luck to you!:drinker:
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I imagine it would have to do with the need for fat loss. Doing lunges/squats will develop the muscle and make them bigger unless the fat goes bye-bye. Try to do a lot of cardio and blast those babies! Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Don't do any weight training for your legs. my muscles in my thighs balloon up when i do squats lunges etc. (and i don't want that at all because I also have bigger thighs) Also avoid cardio that creates a pump like stationary biking. you can get enough muscle toning in you legs if you just do cardio such as running, walking, or doing the elliptical or treadmill. but avoid the bike and stepper.
    A lot of workout video's for women have lunges and squats as a staple, but you really don't have to work on your legs at all if your doing cardio like walking and running.

That is just the muscles retaining water it takes a lot of work to actually build muscle, not to mention a caloric surplus.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have always have the thighs/hips problem even when I was at my thinnest, however when I was thin I didn't mind so much because it looked good because I was curvy but small my waist size was small but I had to wear a little bigger size because of the hips and thighs. Maybe just do some exercises to thin them out but you could just be built like that just tone them up make them look good so they can be an asset. I know the gym has the inner and outer thigh machines plus some squats and lunges like the other person said, Good Luck
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I run and walk a lot, but I didn't see any difference in my thighs until I started doing resistance training for them. So I beg to differ and say do LOADS of weighted squats, lunges and kettlebell swings and the like. Your leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body and not only do you get a cardio hit from working them, but by working them you get more afterburn than cardio alone or working your small upper body muscles.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Beg to differ....changing the shape of your body is done easily through weight training.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

That is just the muscles retaining water it takes a lot of work to actually build muscle, not to mention a caloric surplus.

^^ Thanks for this.

If all you need is running and walking, then why do long distance runners’ legs look like sticks with very little muscle mass? Strength training your entire body is important, regardless of your problem areas.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have had "thunder thighs" my whole life. I started walking and then walk/jogging up and down hills and on flat surfaces. Added to that some strength training twice a week and have lost inches from my thighs! Feed your body healthy fuel, exert energy to burn calories and tone/build muscle to boost your burn. Good luck!
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY do weight training! You will not bulk up! You will firm up and loose fat. Im a pear shape too and do loads of weight and my legs have leaned out.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I concur with all of the weight training advocates! :)
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    WOW, this got more attention then I expected :) I appreciate everyone's response. I walk/run on my treadmil everyday for 30-45 minutes . I start out walking flat for 5 minutes to warm up, then I incline to 10 and walk "up hill" for 10 minutes, decline to 0 and run @ 4 mph 10-15 minutes then cool down walking again. I do a lot of aerobics on the Wii fit plus and sometimes include strength and yoga training but lunges and squats really irritate my sciatic nerve which is pinched by a herniated disc... I was told (by my PA) exercising will help reduce the inflamation in my back but it really hurts... I know no pain , no gain.. so I gain from most opinions to keep up with the cardio and add weights as well. it is a FAT issue as I have the ugly jiggly cellulite my family blessed me with.. ha ha
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Actually, nutrition plays the most important role here.....about 80 to 90% actually. Lifting and cardio will help, but nutrition is key.
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I eat a lot of fresh veggies/fruits and the only meats I eat are white baked turkey, chicken and fish... I do not like red meats especially any meat that is ground up and put back together...YUK... and I drink water and caffine free green teas all day.. I stay away from sugar, instead I use liquid stevia (when I need something sweet) I eat A LOT of cucumbers, grapefruits and such that are suppose to be "flushing fat out " type foods... So I agree that nutrition plays a huge role but in my case, it does not help that area...
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I agree that strength training and fat burning are key, and thought I'd toss out there that you might try a pilates video. I was an athlete in HS ... 20 something years ago playing volleyball and softball. That bulked up my legs. Then my massive weight gain and lack of actually using said muscles, well ... it wasn't pretty. I have since lost all that weight and am in the best shape of my life, but like you, I too have an issue of the waist shrinking and the thighs ... not so much. I found that a pilates video did help some with issue. Good luck! I hope you keep us posted with your progress/results!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cellulite is just fat, so the more exercise you do and the more healthy eating you do, the better it will be.

I struggle with the same issue as you re: the larger legs but since I started exercising more (cycle daily and lunges, squats etc), they are definitely looking leaner and more defined. To an extent it's genetics but you have to do the best you can with what you're given :-) I'll never have the smallest thighs, but since building up the muscle at least they look toned and less orange-peeled!
  • dlpnrn2b
    Options
    I agree that strength training and fat burning are key, and thought I'd toss out there that you might try a pilates video. I was an athlete in HS ... 20 something years ago playing volleyball and softball. That bulked up my legs. Then my massive weight gain and lack of actually using said muscles, well ... it wasn't pretty. I have since lost all that weight and am in the best shape of my life, but like you, I too have an issue of the waist shrinking and the thighs ... not so much. I found that a pilates video did help some with issue. Good luck! I hope you keep us posted with your progress/results!

ahhh Pilates...I never even thought of that but will def try :) thank you so much for the encouragment!! and congrats on acheiving your goals and maintaining!! I will def keep posting.